HELP - Searching for towball rack that fold down

D Max
D Max Posts: 11
I just got a new car that has a ball and looking for a bike rack to fit my needs : hold 2-3 bikes and folds away to open the hatch. I love the idea of having it folding and can't find any. Does it exist? Where do you find the best information for bike racks? Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Was going to say the same. Colleague has a 3 series Touring with a Thule tow bar mounted carrier which tips allowing him to open the tailgate. Very natty, but I gather not cheap.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Tell your insurer what you are up to - it is not a modification so will not cost more but you know what they are like if there is a need to claim.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    It's worth asking around. I have the Thule one and on our previous car the rack didn't tip enough to allow the estate to open. It was a SAAB 95.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I had a BUZZ RACK BRS EasyTilt 3 bike carrier and it was very good.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... C4ure5JbA3
    Solid, well made, tilted to clear the tailgate and also folded down flat so I could put it into the back of my car when necessary.

Had 3 bikes on it doing hundreds of miles at motorway speed and no worries at all.

If I had another car with a tow bar, I'd buy another. Highly recomended.
  • Andcp wrote:

We've got the Atera Strada one. It's great because you slide it backwards and you can then fully reach everything in the boot. It means loading the bikes does not have to be the last activity you do (or at least when you remember all the stuff you have forgotten you can get in the boot again)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    We've got the Atera Strada one. It's great because you slide it backwards and you can then fully reach everything in the boot. It means loading the bikes does not have to be the last activity you do (or at least when you remember all the stuff you have forgotten you can get in the boot again)

I've used the Strada one as well as the Buzz. On balance, I'd say that the Strada is a bit better as it slides more than folds - and is equally well ma.e But for the benefit of the OP, I personally didn't and don't think it's worth the extra £100.

The Buzz rack hinges and folds far enough to give you boot access and the bikes are held firmly in place so I did this all the time with bikes on.
  • D Max
    D Max Posts: 11
    FishFish wrote:
    Tell your insurer what you are up to - it is not a modification so will not cost more but you know what they are like if there is a need to claim.

Thanks I haven't though of calling them to let them know.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    D Max wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Thanks I haven't though of calling them to let them know.
    Probably well worth it... I say with the benefit of hindsight....

I had an accident with a roof mounted rack ... damaged the car and wrecked a carbon wheel and damaged a carbon frame that was repairable.... my local Indy reckons the roof damage isn't economic just by itself so it would be a write off ... the car still runs but it might need the windscreen part where it meets the roof repairing but not having contacted them before about having a roof carrier and getting it noted is a major worry ... so I've ended up not doing anything.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thule 925 velo compact tow bar mounted rack folds flat to fit in boot