Short chain?

cykelsvensson
cykelsvensson Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi!
Bought a new bike and the cassette is clicking alot. I have 2 other bikes with a similar chain/cassette combo and they dont sound like this at all. I also noticed that when i spin my pedals in the workstand they keep on turning and as I understand it that is a symptom of a too short chain. The bike was originally setup with a 50-34 and 11-25t but I convinced the retailer to switch to a 53-39/11-25 and I now suspect that he left the old chain on which should be about two links too short, correct? I asked the retailer and he said that the bike sometimes sound like that and that it is nothing wrong. I filmed it and put it on youtube, you can watch it here https://youtu.be/2vH4qwny7kg
PS: The noice isn't coming from the front derailleur

What do you think, is the chain to short? When it put it in big-big the derailleur is almost max stretch.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    WHAAAAAAAA - Hidden motor powering the crank .... seen this vids loads of time .... you are cheating ... SKY must be cheating.

alternatively .... yes, your rear derailleur looks like it pretty maxed out, my guess would also be too short a chain ... have a look and see if its got a quick link on it .... its an easy test then to pop the chain off and measure it across the big gogs to see if its the right length
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The video shows the bike on a sprocket in the middle of the cassette so not at the maximum extent of the derailleur - chain length is therefore not relevant to the noise in the video. Just sounds like a slightly dry chain to me.

Whether the chain is too short or not is another matter - it may be but the video doesn't tell us anything about that
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • The derailleur gets maxed in the ens of the movie.
    Ofc I have a motor, How can you race otherwise... :D
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I'd be asking the shop to have a look at the freehub, a lot of drag showing there.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    When you are in the big-big combination and the derailleur cage is extended forwards can you further extend it forwards with your hand at all? If yes without forcing it - even if only a small amount - then chain length is OK. If not you likely do need to lengthen it by a (pair of) links.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Chain length when in the big/big combo looks fine to me, RD is not maxed out as far as I can see.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Chain length is fine it looks like your freehub i have the same on an old mavic wheel
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    itboffin wrote:
    Chain length is fine it looks like your freehub i have the same on an old mavic wheel

yup chain length looks fine to me too. my bet would be that if you added another link in as a test then there would be too much slack and the RD wouldn't be tensioned at all when running the low-low gear combo.