Keeping a folder hidden while in car

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
I have ordered a tern link folding bike. (20 inch wheels)

My idea is to drive most of the way to work - but then park up on quieter roads then do the last 10 minutes on the bike. Should pay for itself in parking fee's on I save.

My only problem is I fear the bike would be visible in the car - I have a Peugeot 208 hatchback - I would like it to fit in with parcal shelf on so the bike is totally out of site - I fear the parcel shelf may not fit with the bike.

I thought about throwing an old carpet over it - but wonder anyone has any better ideas

I didn't like the folders with the smaller wheels - so won't be going brompton ...

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    kingrollo wrote:
    I have ordered a tern link folding bike. (20 inch wheels)

My idea is to drive most of the way to work - but then park up on quieter roads then do the last 10 minutes on the bike. Should pay for itself in parking fee's on I save.

My only problem is I fear the bike would be visible in the car - I have a Peugeot 208 hatchback - I would like it to fit in with parcal shelf on so the bike is totally out of site - I fear the parcel shelf may not fit with the bike.

I thought about throwing an old carpet over it - but wonder anyone has any better ideas

I didn't like the folders with the smaller wheels - so won't be going brompton ...
    Won't it only be visible when you'e at home? In which case you could keep it in the house?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Can't see the issue - unless you're going to leave the bike in the car somewhere?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get a bit of dark sheet/carpet/tarp then if its in the car. Anything that looks like a bike will get nicked from a car.

But I'm confused. You drive and get the bike out and then reverse it. So the only time its in the car is with you driving ?

If you're leaving it in the car overnght at home or something then I'd be wary.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Fenix wrote:
    Get a bit of dark sheet/carpet/tarp then if its in the car. Anything that looks like a bike will get nicked from a car.

But I'm confused. You drive and get the bike out and then reverse it. So the only time its in the car is with you driving ?

If you're leaving it in the car overnight at home or something then I'd be wary.

I just thought think I would forget to take the bike out each and every night - and sometimes go to the gym straight from work.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas\ gadgets - etc..
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    I'd start with some privacy glass/tint on your rear windows.

It might look a bit chavvy but most new cars seem to have it these days. You have to have a real good nosey to see into it - even more so at night.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A bag to put the bike in then? Keep you and the car clean. But if you forget to take it out of the car - you do run a risk. Depending on the area.
  • Big tarp from B and Q.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    You might want to invest in a folding bike specific bag, like the Dahon carry-on cover (maybe Tern makes a similar one)

here is my review of it:
    http://wokinghamcyclist.blogspot.co.uk/ ... cover.html