AUK national 400 2017

Anyone is thinking of doing this?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/nat400/

Looks like a neat introduction to long distance over the longest days of the year
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Hoping to get a spot, yes. It'll be my first 400.

Any idea if it's a mad dash for places?

Failing that, i'll need to do a solo Perm 400 to get my SR.
  • Don't know, but the AUK website doesn't seem to be built with the idea of mad rush... it will sell out, I suspect not in minutes.

Does a permanent count for a SR? I thought they had to be BR(M)
  • peat
    Good point. Seems to be so.

In that case, even more vital i get a place as 400's are a bit thin on the ground and would involve cancelling other plans.
  • Peat wrote:
    Good point. Seems to be so.

In that case, even more vital i get a place as 400's are a bit thin on the ground and would involve cancelling other plans.

There are plenty, but finding one which fits your calendar, doesn't involve travelling to Musselburgh and it's not meant to contain all the climbs of the Realm is indeed not very easy
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    Permanents are BR and valid for an AUK SR
    It only has to be BRM if you're going for an ACP award

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-2/

EDIT: now no more... looks like it was a glitch on the site
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I'm in seamingly... :-)
  • I was looking at (and tempted by)this last night, it is billed as a gentle introduction to a 400 and in a lovely part of the world with great facilities. But the longest Audax's I've done are 200s and never had to sleep on a ride (well not intentionally) In some accounts I've read audaxers say a 300 is harder than the 400 due to the sleep issue? Am I deluding myself!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I was looking at (and tempted by)this last night, it is billed as a gentle introduction to a 400 and in a lovely part of the world with great facilities. But the longest Audax's I've done are 200s and never had to sleep on a ride (well not intentionally) In some accounts I've read audaxers say a 300 is harder than the 400 due to the sleep issue? Am I deluding myself!

I have no idea, I am in the same position as you. I thought as much though... in a 400 you have some time to sleep, in a 300 you might have a couple of hours to rest

If it's of any encouragement, there are trains between Aberystwith and Shrewsbury...

C'mon, let's try it, it's a big adventure, what can possibly go wrong?
  • peat
    Entered. LETS DO DIS!

I've got a 300 in April and i'll look to do a few more 200's in-between times to get used to big miles. I've also entered a 600 a fortnight after the N400. I wonder how I'll feel about the 6 then, because at the moment it is incomprehensible...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Doing a bigger ride that weekend or I'd be up for this. Have fun.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    Entered. LETS DO DIS!

I've got a 300 in April and i'll look to do a few more 200's in-between times to get used to big miles. I've also entered a 600 a fortnight after the N400. I wonder how I'll feel about the 6 then, because at the moment it is incomprehensible...

I could not find a 300 I could do... either too far to drive or overnight events in Essex with start at 9 PM and compulsory mudguards in summer... which did appear totally bonkers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Mudguards are extra training ugo, the organisers are trying to slow everyone down.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mudguards are extra training ugo, the organisers are trying to slow everyone down.

It's one particular orginiser who runs all these Essex events where mudguards are compulsory in July... he must be living in his own bubble where bicycles do have mudguards or otherwise they are called something else.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Slightly off topic, but the longer rides will probably be a little more sparse this year as its a LEL year, so plenty of AUKs will be targeting that over the summer. Not that I am in any fit state to even manage a 200! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but the longer rides will probably be a little more sparse this year as its a LEL year, so plenty of AUKs will be targeting that over the summer. Not that I am in any fit state to even manage a 200! ;)

So you no longer need your Fratello disc then... :wink:
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

So you no longer need your Fratello disc then... :wink:

Its all I ride at the moment, I have decided I am too fat for the carbon bike! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:

Its all I ride at the moment, I have decided I am too fat for the carbon bike! ;)

Aren't we all? :lol:
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

You got fat then? That will be all the Oatcakes... :P
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    menthel wrote:

You got fat then?

Nah...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    Entered. LETS DO DIS!

How did the 300 go?
    Where are you based? I'm looking for a pal to step up the mileage in late May in view of the 400... doing 250 km solo is a bit boring at times
    I am based in B91
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Having done my first and only audax last year at 240km I wish anyone entering the best weather and luck.

I might be tempted with a 300k towards the end of the summer though,,,,
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowmart wrote:
    Having done my first and only audax last year at 240km I wish anyone entering the best weather and luck.

If only there was any...
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Slowmart wrote:

If only there was any...
    The Mildenhall cycle Rally runs a 300k at the end of August.
  • peat
    I did an 'unofficial' 300 in Majorca, doing a lap of the island and loved it.
    I then came home and did the Heart of England 300 from Cirencester and found it really hard! Lots of little lumps are tougher than a few mountain passes i reckon.

I think 300km is a really good distance. It's a grand day out. I am looking forward to the 400 with trepidation.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Here is my hoard
    hoard_zpssgniwty9.jpg
  • peat
    I'm currently packing. Driving up after work tomorrow. Familiar sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

'Snap' on the saddlebag of choice. It'll be hung from a lime green Trek Madone with a tall skinny bloke sat atop it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you are there for dinner tonight, I'm the one with a red/white chequered lumberjack shirt
  • ugo.santalucia
    Loved it... rolled back into Upton Magna at 1:30 AM... shattered but happy. How did you get on Peat?
  • peat
    Wow. That's really quick mate! Pfft.

I set off in the 0815 wave on Saturday and rolled in at 0425 Sunday. I was really knackered after Aberystwyth but plodded on regardless.

Great event, I thought. The 'TLC' was a lifesaver. I have a far more barebones 600 in 2 weeks which now fills me with dread!