Chain slipping. Any advice?

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited February 2017 in The workshop
A curious commuter setup: an 11-speed Ultegra :)
Chain and cassette have done about 6k, large chainring about 4k. The rig was well maintained throughout.

Replaced the chain and the cassette, and now the chain feels slippy.

Unless I'm misreading the chainring, I don't see signs of significant wear. What else could it be, e.g. a stiff chain link (how does one find one)?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you find a stiff chainlink by taking the tension off the chain and try bending each link - you may be able to see it by slowly turning the cranks and watching the chain.
    I found it's usually where you've joined the chain - one reason why I use removable links - no pins to drive in!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    If that one chain did 6K miles then it would've been quite worn and so could have started to eat into the chain rings. Even so I wouldn't expect problems after 4K miles. (I once rode a drivetrain into the ground on a winter bike with very little maintenance and the chainset still lasted about 10K miles). Is slipping worse on one ring than the other? (the small ring usually wears first). Obviously if you're talking Km then this is even less likely to be an issue!

Other than that it might just need a few miles for the new bits to bed in with the old chainset. Also worth double checking that you got the chain length right too.
  • pmorgan1
    Thank you, v helpful.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Unlikely to be the chain length. More likely the chainring unfortunately. Does it happen on both rings?
    Other than that, I can't think of any other reason then the wrong chain was fitted, or indeed the stiff link (Shimano's pin instead of a quick link)
  • pmorgan1
    fnegroni wrote:
    Unlikely to be the chain length. More likely the chainring unfortunately. Does it happen on both rings?
    Other than that, I can't think of any other reason then the wrong chain was fitted, or indeed the stiff link (Shimano's pin instead of a quick link)

Yes, turns out the small chainring slips more.