Access brand bike frame - thoughts?

Soccerscotty21
Soccerscotty21 Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a used bike locally and since I'm brand new to road biking I'd like some advice. I know the general rule of thumb is to go with name brands, so I'm not sure on this one.

Seller claims bike is custom built with access brand carbon frame, carbon fork, Shimano dura Ace components.

Seller wants $400, which is great because my budget is limited after buying my wife a new bike a couple weeks ago.

Any thoughts or advice here?

Comments

• mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Doesn't seem right.

What dura ace is it
    How old is the frame? (HAS IT BEEN CRASHED)
    Does it come with wheels?
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    As current dura ace groupsets retail for well over £1,000 I'm guessing this is a lot older. How many cogs are their on the back cassette - this will give you a rough fix on how old.

It sounds too good to be true imo.
  • https://imgur.com/axFTGaD
    axFTGaD

Here's a pic of the bike. Owner claims to have bought it off someone who built it from scratch, no crashes. Haven't seen it in person yet and can't tell how many cogs in back cassette from pics. I'm sure it's at least 5+ years old.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a lot older than you think. The Gear cables have been under the tape for years on DA.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its more like 20 years old i think. That frame looks like the kind of frames Lemond used in his last tour.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Front QR is on the wrong side.

I'm going with 1996, 7700 for the dura ace.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think you'd be better off getting a new bike. This is so old everything will be hard to replace. Never heard of that frame either.