Six Nations 2017

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,371
edited March 2017 in The cake stop
So any interest in the competition this year?

Anyone expecting it to come down to a Grand Slam decider in Dublin or can someone upset that apple cart?
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• I'm thinking that something is going to go wrong for Ireland and England at some point. But that they are still the form horses.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • laurentian
    Not a chance, thats the ticket to get!

I've got one for England Wales in Cardiff . . . always a cracking trip
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Hoping for wins in round one for Scotland, France and Wales.

And not convinced I'll get any.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    England form team. Plucky Scotland so near yet so far. France , who knows, as usual. Ireland, weakened already, if they can see the Scots off will be an interesting prospect. Wales, pob lyc, should see off Italy and might have a rush of hwyl, enough to upset visitors to Cardiff. Would love to see Italy take a scalp. Not seen any decent prices really.

Rugby League World Cup this year too. My son is in the Wales squad for the Student World Cup in Sydney ...I'm English, diwdiw!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I'll be watching the England vs France in middle France, Limoges as it's otherwise known, which is not a particular rugby hotbed but still in the heart of the enemy! Should be fun and an English win to boot

Overall on form it should come down to a title decider in Dublin but I think Scotland can throw a spanner in the works, in the Pro 12 and in the European competitions Edinburgh and particularly Glasgow have been tearing up trees!!
  • Quins
    Tough game for Edinburgh last night, lost at home to Munster 9-10. Edinburgh had a penalty in 81 mins, on half way , to win.it was about 3 ft short...
  • Good start for Scotland!

Can't see anything but an English Grand Slam tho'.
  • crispybug2
    Good start for Scotland!

Can't see anything but an English Grand Slam tho'.

They have come flying out of the blocks haven't they?

Stuart Hogg has already put his hand for the Lions full back and, speaking as a former back rower Finn Russell is the type of fly half who keeps you guessing, which is a good thing!
  • narbs
    Even Paul O'Connell seems to have been on an objectivity workshop.
  • So, I did say.....
  • Quins
    Yup, that was always going to be tough for Ireland. Great win for Scotland.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    That shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. Scotland have been improving solidly for the last couple of years.
  • narbs
    narbs wrote:
    Even Paul O'Connell seems to have been on an objectivity workshop.

Dallaglio, unsurprisingly, hasn't. You may as well stick a bloke from the pub in there.
  • crispybug2
    Well that was an ugly win, but it's still a win and I bet Ireland would have settled for that

Hoping for an Italy win tomorrow mostly because of two Welsh guys at my rugby club who are spectacularly bad losers but are even worse winners!
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    tenner on Scotland to end Ingerlands run.

:)
  • Garry H
    mac9091 wrote:

Odds? It's been over thirty years since they last won at twickers
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Garry H wrote:
    mac9091 wrote:

Odds? It's been over thirty years since they last won at twickers
    9/2.
    Bet they were longer before today! :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Great win for Scotland and scrappy, lucky win for England. Will take that. Still think England Ireland will be the title decider but Scotland could really upset that if they keep playing that well.
    England, Ireland, Scotland top 3. In that order I think, but Scotland could pinch second!
    Wales, France Italy to finish. Hope france go 4th though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Great win for Scotland and scrappy, lucky win for England. Will take that. Still think England Ireland will be the title decider but Scotland could really upset that if they keep playing that well.
    England, Ireland, Scotland top 3. In that order I think, but Scotland could pinch second!
    Wales, France Italy to finish. Hope france go 4th though.
    Well, I put a bet on Scotland to lose to Wales and Italy, plus getting the Wooden Spoon. So yes, top 3.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    It was a very well deserved win for Scotland who have been last gasp losers so many times - not least in WC QF to Aus. Saturday's game vs Ireland was a cracker.

Although it was an ugly win on Saturday, I thought England were redolent of the WC winning team who, regardless of the points difference, would simply overwhelm teams in the last 20 minutes. They have the bench to thank for that and Haskell was immense. Those French chaps have been chomping the Brie haven't they? They were a huge side.

Wales predictably beat Italy by a good margin meaning they will be full of it vs England in Cardiff next week.

Anyone else amazed at Sergio Parrisse? What a player.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • The difference Haskell and Care made was amazing - the ball started to come out and get used so much quicker and England suddenly looked like a decent team.
  • Thats the problem with Youngs and always has been. But he's also looking a bit worse than usual.
    I'd consider giving Youngs 1 more shot next week but Hask has to start for me! And Although we didnt see much of it last weekend, Nowell needs to be in for Daly.
    Can the Scots do it again on Sunday??
  • Scotland are becoming multi dimensional. Beat France? Yes, I'd say. Turn over Wales, arguably a bigger bogey match for them than England. I'd say they can. And will beat Italy. Wales to turn England over, Scotland championship. There you go.
  • Not bad logic but I cant quite agree.
    Scotland beat France and Italy but lose to Wales (just a feeling), England win in Cardiff (but not a runaway) as they just seem to be able to win by any means at the moment, and beat Italy,then face Ireland on final weekend which decides the order. I still think England win, putting Scotland 2nd.
    An Irish win would then mean the bonus points come into play for the top 3.
  • Slightly off topic but very sadly Springboks legend Joost van der Westhuizen has died, aged 45. One of the best ever no. 9s and latterly a fighter against motor neurone disease. RIP.
  • crispybug2
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Slightly off topic but very sadly Springboks legend Joost van der Westhuizen has died, aged 45. One of the best ever no. 9s and latterly a fighter against motor neurone disease. RIP.

I said earlier on Facebook when the news was announced that he was the best scrum half I've seen play and Gareth Edwards is his only competition for the greatest ever.

Very sad but at least he's no longer in any pain. MND is a horrible, hateful condition!!
  • Not bad logic but I cant quite agree.
    Scotland beat France and Italy but lose to Wales (just a feeling), England win in Cardiff (but not a runaway) as they just seem to be able to win by any means at the moment, and beat Italy,then face Ireland on final weekend which decides the order. I still think England win, putting Scotland 2nd.
    An Irish win would then mean the bonus points come into play for the top 3.

It's the 6N. There's no logic :D
  • Garry H
    Here's a prediction for this weekend. Wales to wake up after losing a shitload of points in the first half, only to go berserk in the second half and score a shedload of unanswered points, but still get narrowly beaten. (A shitload, of course, being more than a shedload)

In the longer term, Scotland will lose to both England and Wales. France will be crap thoughout, Wooden spoon for Italy. No GS this year.*

*I reserve the right to alter the above, should it not turn out to be true.