Where are they now?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
Don Daddy D...or whatever his name was? Plenty others gone over time too.

He used to amuse me, think he moved out in the sticks and I've never seen a post from him since.

Anyone know?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    ...or whatever his name was.

He used to amuse me, think he moved out of the sticks and I've never seen a post from him since.

Anyone know?

eaten by a mouse
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    ...or whatever his name was.

He used to amuse me, think he moved out of the sticks and I've never seen a post from him since.

Anyone know?

eaten by a mouse

Doh I forgot about mousegate!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Hes still on the Ride London 100, should be back by mid March.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • After rather grandiose claims about never-attainable power outputs and in a last-dash attempt to live up to reputation to an increasingly sceptical audience, the Chinese government installed DDD on a turbo in the turbine hall of the Three Gorges Dam, transforming the project from a blue elephant that couldn't boil a kettle into the world's largest power station. Unfortunately even China's burgeoning energy demands paled into insignificance compared with the Power Awesome's wattage, which has led to an increase in global temperatures of approximately 2 degrees C in the last two years. Combined with the corresponding perspiration ouptut, sea levels have risen by several metres, threatening low-lying areas such as the foot of Balham Hill. Effluent from DDD's engine has also necessitated China building several new islands in the South China Seas in order to keep the smell far enough away from their coastline.

Threatened by such actions, the CIA and the NSA felt necessary to unleash their only equivalent ego on to the international stage to challenge China's sudden new-found influence. Unfortunately they didn't recall a long-forgotten group ride along the Stockwell Road during a biting winter day, when their blond-wigged American MAMIL billionaire, suffering from the initial stages of frostbite having mistaken a newspaper report into global warming as meaning he could ignore the weather forecast and ride to work without gloves on, offered his first-born daughter in return for a pair of gloves. The only soul kind enough to agree to the deal, our aforementioned Power Awesome, only had a spare pair in an extra-small, which proved much too large for the American, causing him to lose control and crash into the side of the mosque outside the Oval station. This prevented him from obtaining a Strava PB on the Kennington Road North segment and a potential top 50% ranking, also causing long term mental damage, a phobia about the size of his hands, an irrational hatred for Muslims and a desire to find the person who destroyed his reputation.

Having heard that the person responsible for said Republican candidate hailed from the UK, a secret cabal of European leaders determined that for the safety of the greater European region, Britain would have to be forced out of the EU. Meanwhile, Britain's new prime minister, having caught glimpses of the Power Awesome on rare MI5 CCTV footage, determined that her only chance of making a success of the whole debacle was to channel his sheer amazingness, but unable to find a pair of AG2R brown bibtights in her size had to make do with brown leather trousers in her primary magazine appearance to date.

The last anyone saw of him, a Kingston Wheelers cyclist pulled up ahead of him at the traffic lights near Brixton Tube Station. He let the Wheeler go. He waits until the other cyclists have finished their journeys and then he goes after the rest of the club. He scalps their kids, he scalps their wives, he scalps their parents and their parents’ friends. He destroys the segments they ride during the week and the routes they do at weekends, he overtakes people that beat them at the cyclocross at Herne Hill last weekend. And like that he was gone. Underground (allegedly the Northern Line). Nobody has ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that SCR participants tell their kids at night. “Go easy on your commute, and DDD will pass you like you're not even there.” And no-one ever really believes. People always say I don't believe okgo is that quick, but I'm afraid of him. Well I believe okgo is quick, and the only person that scares me is DDD.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you have too much time on your hands. Either that or lay of the weed dude :wink: :twisted:
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Veronese68 wrote:

2017 or 2018?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I miss the voice of reason, the sage...he was good value 8)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I concur - he was good value.

Last active April last year. Someone needs to pm him into action.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I liked it when he asked for a recommendation of kit or equipment and then proceeded to disagree with everyone and then revealed what he was going to buy all along."No, don't like 105, rims are too heavy, prefer 25mm etc". Infuriating but (unintentionally) funny. I always give it maximum effort up Balham Hill on his behalf
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    He used to be, prevalent - is that the right word?

I think he had a mini DDD, or a DBD I guess, and he did resurface on here either spring last year, or the year before (Due to the Ridelondon), and then vanished again.

He used to have a nice Kuota, and then bought a Giant something or other.

He makes me think of LIT as well, and who was the chap who looked like Ian Hislop?

NewburyChap (Or similar) was someone who appeared for a very short period of time, but also vanished.
    Not sure if some people get offended, banned, or maybe even stop cycling :shock:

Here we go, Newbury chap - not imagining it:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=464091
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • warreng
    I think the RideLondon 100 thread when he revealed himself to be a non-cyclist was the final straw for him.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    WarrenG wrote:
    I liked it when he asked for a recommendation of kit or equipment and then proceeded to disagree with everyone and then revealed what he was going to buy all along."No, don't like 105, rims are too heavy, prefer 25mm etc". Infuriating but (unintentionally) funny. I always give it maximum effort up Balham Hill on his behalf

And never forget the principle of his objection to Campag Athena..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Veronese68 wrote:

Fuck1ng hell! :D:D:D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    WarrenG wrote:
    I think the RideLondon 100 thread when he revealed himself to be a non-cyclist was the final straw for him.
    I think that may be the truth. I'm not a great cyclist, but I don't pretend to be either. But for all his bluster this place was more fun with him around.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Was it Newburychap who had the dalliance with his work colleague?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe wrote:

Was that not Hambones?

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12765242&p=16825302
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Was that not Hambones?

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12765242&p=16825302

That's the one. :)

Sorry Newbury Chap, if you're reading.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • And what ever did happen to Cleat Eastwood?
    His 'Ask Cleat' advice thread was an amusing read
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • DDD has had a second DDD and is now also a councillor...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DDD last seen passing comment about Chris Eubank Jr on twitter.

Others who no longer post who were often good for a laugh - apologies in advance if putting foot in it by asking - MsMancunia and Kieran Burns
  • warreng
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    DDD last seen passing comment about Chris Eubank Jr on twitter.

Others who no longer post who were often good for a laugh - apologies in advance if putting foot in it by asking - MsMancunia and Kieran Burns

Just found him. Nice picture of him with his RideLondon medal
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • veronese68
    WarrenG wrote:
    Just found him. Nice picture of him with his RideLondon medal
    Good, at least he made it then.
    Others don't post as much as they used to, I presume circumstances change and people may have less time on their hands. Keyser Soze doesn't post as much these days, but a quality post in this thread. The Gregs, NSB, LiT (in the US now), EKE, Mudcow, SimonAH, Menthel and many many more. I don't think RJS had posted in quite a while, but has been active on the Brexit and Trump threads in Cake Stop, maybe he's stopped commuting? Funnily enough the Receptionist thread was mentioned over there recently.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Daniel B wrote:
    He makes me think of LIT

Lost In Thought (LIT) moved to the sticks, IIRC, maybe to spend more time with her mum's Spitfire?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    SecretSam wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    He makes me think of LIT

Lost In Thought (LIT) moved to the sticks, IIRC, maybe to spend more time with her mum's Spitfire?

Veronese says she has escaped to the US - I seem to recall she had a proper handmade Viner, rather than the PX ones we see now.

Who was the Ian Hislop looking chap who had a faux romance with her, I want to say Bondino but not sure that is right.
    I recall LIT taking it all in very good humour.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    LiT is nerding it up in California. Not jealous at all...
    https://twitter.com/oliviadgrace
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    don_don?
  • daniel_b
    Ian.B wrote:
    don_don?

That was him, well remembered!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Flipping heck, I'd forgotten about don_don, those were the days, I'm amazed I didn't get the sack in 2009/10, spent all day on here. Greg T used to make me chuckle, JonG, cp, biondino, brun and anyone else I forgot. I was 'twins' with bassjunkieuk and it always amazed me how he managed to cycle to work and cope with 100s of kids.

Is kierenburns not on here so much any more? I only dip in and out these days, normal on STW pretending to be a mountain biker.

I blame whoever it was that split chat from general in here, it really killed the forum.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    And Snooks, Coriander, Woodford2Barbican, Timmyflash, Gaz. And, of course, Victor Ludorum, who wrote some of the finest SCR write-ups.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."