Art

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,424
edited February 2017 in The bottom bracket
Going to a vernissage tomorrow, a painting for you to contemplate...

740BA729-B24D-497F-BACC-998F38101B68.jpg
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    heffalump in a custard blizzard
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Garfunkel
  • Spunkstain
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Left out in the rain?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    There's a sort of admirable purity to this painting; the themes converge to form a portrait of togetherness and encourage a shift of paradigm. Study carefully and you’ll find that even in the pictures minimalism, there is plenty to enjoy and find worthwhile.
    To me, the painting feels more than anything, like a kind of construction project: each brush stroke meticulously built and only faintly familiar, each square millimetre crammed with confidence, as though the artist was worried either they or their audience might get bored.The confident, relaxed, but still concise and appealing colours indicates that the artist still has some life in them.

On the other hand it may be pants.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Can we have a picture of the whole painting rather than a tiny segment of it?
  • team47b
    Can we have a picture of the whole painting rather than a tiny segment of it?

It is one of a complete piece of eleven paintings so you are right that it is one part.

I will post some of the others at some point.

Thanks Andcp for your contemplation :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited February 2017
    Well, I like it. Reminds me of staring out of a rain-soaked car window on the Norfolk coast. It's got something of that comforting feeling when the weather outside is awful, but you're inside in the warm.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    It's a lament of some description but I don't know what. I guess the artist ran out of coffee one morning and the bubble pilot hadn't the inclination to get out of bed and head across country to a place of conducive retail supply.

However, in eternal ambiguity, the answer to my retort will be something along the lines of "It's whatever you want it to be as it is conceptual or abstract...".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • What's a "vernissage"?

I like it, I'd probably give it wall space but I'll be darned if I'm going to contemplate it. It's a bit like getting a trophy wife and then trying to understand her - a total waste of time :mrgreen:
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    It reminds me of the patch of damp and cobweb adorned plaster beneath the lead pipe fed hand basin in our outside toilet when I was a young child living in the Manchester suburbs.

Beautiful and very moving!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • team47b
    What's a "vernissage"?

I like it, I'd probably give it wall space but I'll be darned if I'm going to contemplate it. It's a bit like getting a trophy wife and then trying to understand her - a total waste of time :mrgreen:

:D

Don't try to understand her, just appreciate how she makes you feel :wink:

A vernissage is a by invitation private viewing at a gallery prior to the opening to the general public.
  • team47b wrote:
    What's a "vernissage"?

:D

Don't try to understand her, just appreciate how she makes you feel :wink:

A vernissage is a by invitation private viewing at a gallery prior to the opening to the general public.

I get you, lots of free cheap wine in the hope you feel you just have to have "that most wonderful work of art darling" - enjoy :D

Let me know how much it costs
  • sungod
    ^^^ this

plenty in london, and usually good bubbly :)
  • team47b
    As the artists it's very doubtful we would buy anything :D

The gallery is upstairs above the winery (is that the right English word for the wine brewery?) so plenty of wine freely available :D

A bit of the gallery...

DSC04826.jpg
  • team47b
    Another bit of art for your perusal

DSC04829.jpg

By Jessica Dunn (daughter of Clive Dunn)
  • sungod
    i like that, i liked the first one too
  • team47b
    And...
    DSC04831.jpg

By Tucson
  • pinno
    I like the Jessica Dunn one. It somehow makes me think of a sunset in autumn whilst walking in the woods. Or a Pomegranate based cocktail with Tabasco gone wrong.
  • sungod
    the tucson one reminds me of some experiments i did with out of date reversal film in the 70s, fiddling with the chemistry (the days before health and safety) and exposing to light at different times during processing

utterly unreproducible, which was part of the attraction
  • team47b
    Pinno wrote:
    It's a lament of some description but I don't know what. I guess the artist ran out of coffee one morning and the bubble pilot hadn't the inclination to get out of bed and head across country to a place of conducive retail supply.

However, in eternal ambiguity, the answer to my retort will be something along the lines of "It's whatever you want it to be as it is conceptual or abstract...".

Correct and correct.

Obviously a man that gets abstract art :D

It is about loss as you noticed from the conceptual theories of perceptual salience which is independent of ones own experiences as you said.
  • pinno
    When the description confirms the observers initial thought then a light bulb goes on somewhere deep in the subconscious cognitive recesses. However, that 'light bulb' has only been switched on because the observer has been given the description. Without it, it would have remained just a feeling and little else.
  • team47b
    Pinno wrote:
    When the description confirms the observers initial thought then a light bulb goes on somewhere deep in the subconscious cognitive recesses. However, that 'light bulb' has only been switched on because the observer has been given the description. Without it, it would have remained just a feeling and little else.

Listen to those gut feelings but remember your guts have sh1t for brains :D
  • team47b
    Another in the series for contemplation

611FE72B-F5E7-4798-8E7A-E30956249900.jpg
  • pinno
    Soft morning light and perhaps some rain coupled with that feeling of a new day?
  • team47b
    Oooo you're good at this :D

Emphasis on the new day as a concept, clearing, changing.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Pinno wrote:
    Soft morning light and perhaps some rain coupled with that feeling of a new day?
    Not sure if I'm being too literal but there's a strong impression of towering cumulonimbus. They usually mean there is trouble brewing.

I'm starting to worry that I'm seeing roughly the opposite of what is intended.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • team47b
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Not sure if I'm being too literal but there's a strong impression of towering cumulonimbus. They usually mean there is trouble brewing.

I'm starting to worry that I'm seeing roughly the opposite of what is intended.

You're seeing the same thing, just at a different time in the story :D
  • pinno
    It's the moment a thunderstorm breaks?
  • team47b
    Pinno wrote:
    It's the moment a thunderstorm breaks?

Literal observation but yes it represents, rather than is, conveying that moment of change.