If we are roadies, what are mountain bikers?

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    To answer the question you didn't ask originally but just alluded to, buy a CX. I don't own a road bike in the pure sense, the CX bike does that. My Cotic MTB is easier and more comfortable off road, but the CX can handle most of it. But it does occasionally get a bit scary. If I could only have one bike the CX would win hands down.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    PPS: gravel bikes are not an evolution of MTBs. They are modern day touring bikes.

I don't think that they are either. If anything they are just a repeat of what the early MTBs were - a ruggedised "road" bike better adapted to go off-road.

In a pedantic response to V68's CX point (with which I largely agree) - if I had to have one bike it would be the gravel/adventure bike (the geometry and gearing being that bit different to a typical CX spec) - but his point's a good one. On it (off-road tyres n all) I could just about keep up with the work cycle club fast boys (empahasis on "just about") yet I've also taken it down the blue run at Learnie Red Rock, my local MTB place. It's perfect for neither. Where it is perfect is on the fire roads/"military roads" between my house and Learnie.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    In a pedantic response to V68's CX point (with which I largely agree) - if I had to have one bike it would be the gravel/adventure bike (the geometry and gearing being that bit different to a typical CX spec)
    You're right, it is pedantic. :wink:
    I built my CX up from a frame so it does actually have compact road gearing. I hadn't considered the gearing of a pure CX bike, that is a valid point.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    In a pedantic response to V68's CX point (with which I largely agree) - if I had to have one bike it would be the gravel/adventure bike (the geometry and gearing being that bit different to a typical CX spec)
    You're right, it is pedantic. :wink:
    I built my CX up from a frame so it does actually have compact road gearing. I hadn't considered the gearing of a pure CX bike, that is a valid point.

:lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Veronese68 wrote:
    To answer the question you didn't ask originally but just alluded to, buy a CX. I don't own a road bike in the pure sense, the CX bike does that. My Cotic MTB is easier and more comfortable off road, but the CX can handle most of it. But it does occasionally get a bit scary. If I could only have one bike the CX would win hands down.
    I used to ride my 10sp BSA off road, chrome rims an' all. Slowly, and nothing terribly challenging, but it didn't occur to me that I needed a special bike to cope with an unpaved path and a few tree roots.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I used to ride my 10sp BSA off road, chrome rims an' all. Slowly, and nothing terribly challenging, but it didn't occur to me that I needed a special bike to cope with an unpaved path and a few tree roots.
    I used to ride all over Wimbledon Common on a 10 speed Falcon. It didn't hurt as much when I fell off in those days.
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I used to ride all over Wimbledon Common on a 10 speed Falcon. It didn't hurt as much when I fell off in those days.
    True. I've just signed our receptionist's birthday card and realised that I'm almost twice as old as her (shudder).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But is she hot?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    Made me think of the infamous Receptionist thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Link?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Link?
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12765242
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Link?
    Ah, those were the days.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Link?
    :D

Excellent - one from the depths of history, when Commuting Chat was quite amusing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Darksiders
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I used to ride a fully ridged hybrid thing about 12 years ago when I first got into riding. It was a 'bike', I was 13 and I wanted to ride off road with my friends. We used to ride for ages on the road to get to the spots we liked. I'm not sure that will ever die out with evolution of bikes really.

On the having one bike point, I would give up road cycling and keep my 'enduro' bike. I do love riding my cx bike from time to time and it's great on the road, it could handle everything at trail centres like Glentress but I would die pretty quickly riding the unmarked stuff in the valley...
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

That's why you're not famous for having invented the MTB... :wink: 8)
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Some people may disagree with the unpaved path and tree roots not meaning you need a different bike 8)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBPFr3RRso
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Some people may disagree with the unpaved path and tree roots not meaning you need a different bike 8)

God, I wish I had the balls and the talent to do that - it looks utterly awesome
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hehe. I did also say it was slow and not terribly challenging. That was neither.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

God, I wish I had the balls and the talent to do that - it looks utterly awesome
    Me too. The videos make it look so much more do-able but when you're there looking at anything remotely like that it kinda makes you realise how good you need to be and just how big your cojones need to be :)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Me too. The videos make it look so much more do-able but when you're there looking at anything remotely like that it kinda makes you realise how good you need to be and just how big your cojones need to be :)
    It does look like amazing fun, but then so do those base jumping videos where they swoop down the side of an alp, skimming between pine trees.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yup. It doesn't help that one of my colleagues in Inverness was a minor talent at National level and spent what seemed to be more than 50% of the time in plaster or bandages. What made it all the more crazy was that he'd try competing in that state
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It does look like amazing fun, but then so do those base jumping videos where they swoop down the side of an alp, skimming between pine trees.
    There are all grades of DH that you can do, from downhill paths all the way through to the insane stuff in that video. They even have bike parks where the runs are graded like ski runs from green to black. (I can get down most blacks now but still have a lot to learn). What really does some roadies heads in is taking a van to the top :)

Base jumping has no in between. As they say, if at first you don't succeed, maybe base jumping isn't for you...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yup. It doesn't help that one of my colleagues in Inverness was a minor talent at National level and spent what seemed to be more than 50% of the time in plaster or bandages. What made it all the more crazy was that he'd try competing in that state
    Bruises and scratches are par for the course, a lot of it depends how hard you are trying. I managed my last trip with no injuries so clearly wasn't trying hard enough :)

And yep, it quite annoying knowing people like that. A friend of mines son went and cleared a 15 foot drop on a really tricky run where we'd looked over the edge and said no thanks. He was only 15.