annoying squeek

compostcorner
compostcorner Posts: 8
edited February 2017 in The workshop
i have this annoying squeek, it only happens when i peddle forwards, if i peddle backwards there is no squeek and when i dont pedal at all it doesnt squeek, and if i move the pedals forwards with my hand it doesnt squeek, i"ve tried various riding positions to rule out things like saddles and seat posts, and i"ve oiled and greased all moving parts,

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If clipless pedals it might be worth lubing where the cleat meets the pedal. Your feet will move slightly when riding, try riding with your feet turned out as far as possible for a couple of turns of the crank.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I have something similar. Turned out the be the bottom bracket. Full of mud after only 750 miles (I ride in a LOT of mud!).

Got it replaced with an upgraded one rather than trying to strip and re-grease it, hopefully it will last a bit longer!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Frankly, it is always worth checking the saddle as well. Quite often one ends up with beautifully cleaned and lubed pedals, bb, etc before realising that it is the interface between saddle rails and the seat itself. And you only really get a squeak on the power stroke so it sounds like it is in the drive train
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    Sometimes just taking something apart and putting it back together will stop mysterious creaks.

I'd definitely try the bottom bracket. Take it out, check it's not trashed (in which case it needs replacing anyway), wipe the threads and reinstall.
    If it's not that try the saddle and the pedals. If you have some spare pedals or another bike you could try swapping them over to see if it makes a difference.
  • thanks for your comments, i have tried a different saddle but it still squeeks, i"ve changed the pedals and it still squeeks, but i do think it might have something to do with the bottom bracket, but thats a take it to the bike shop job. but as it only squeeks when i"m riding i cant get my ear close enough to see where its coming from
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    thanks for your comments, i have tried a different saddle but it still squeeks, i"ve changed the pedals and it still squeeks, but i do think it might have something to do with the bottom bracket, but thats a take it to the bike shop job. but as it only squeeks when i"m riding i cant get my ear close enough to see where its coming from

This is a serious suggestion that sounds bloody daft.
    Suspend your bike somehow (in a workstand, ideally), then press your ear up against the nose of the saddle, and turn the pedals by hand. The frame conducts vibration (sound) really quite well. You might have to drop your chain off your chainrings to isolate noises coming from the bottom bracket.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    davis wrote:
    thanks for your comments, i have tried a different saddle but it still squeeks, i"ve changed the pedals and it still squeeks, but i do think it might have something to do with the bottom bracket, but thats a take it to the bike shop job. but as it only squeeks when i"m riding i cant get my ear close enough to see where its coming from

This is a serious suggestion that sounds bloody daft.
    Suspend your bike somehow (in a workstand, ideally), then press your ear up against the nose of the saddle, and turn the pedals by hand. The frame conducts vibration (sound) really quite well. You might have to drop your chain off your chainrings to isolate noises coming from the bottom bracket.

I like that idea - makes sense; even though if someone catches you doing it you will never live it down (and never do it on a bike owned by a member of the opposite sex without written permission).

If that doesn't work the OP might want to find someone with a turbo trainer - that will allow the creaking noise to be isolated even if it only occurs under proper pressure