Mallorca 167

New to forum I have a free offer accommodation and entry into Mallorca 167. I am 48 fairly fit but never done big mountains. Last year did around 4500 miles couple of 100,50 sportives. Kept training during winter 4-5 hrs per week and will up training over the next few months.

The first 30 of the 167 are big climbs I live in the south east not any big hills. I've done Leigh and box and had no problem after riding at least 50 to get there.

Just want some observations of people who have done Mallorca of fitness required for this sportive.

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Not done that sportive, but ridden in Mallorca a few times and most of the roads on that route. Generally the inclines are a lot less steep than the UK sportives up our way, hell of the north, fred whitton etc but go on for longer. Like any sportive the fitter, better prepared you are the faster time you'll get. The average, fit, regular cyclist will get round that without too much trouble.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • thanks not looking at breaking any records just want to get round with an average of around 16 mph.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    hellfire15 wrote:
    thanks not looking at breaking any records just want to get round with an average of around 16 mph.
    you will be fine, one of the guys with us last year 64 years old only rides once a week on average did a similar route taking in sa colabra 12,000 feet of climbing that day without any trouble, just remember whta goes up must come down, so look forward to the great descents as well as climbs
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Thanks there is hope me yet as it's free don't want to turn down a once in a lifetime experience
  • The first climb is the Coll de Femenia, which is 7.5km @ 5.5%. It is not a steep climb and is quite beautiful climbing through the rocks.
    It is not flat across the top, but nothing steep (about 5%) till the descent to Soller (14km @ -5.1%) which is a lot of fun.
    After that there are a few drags up to Esporles, but once again nothing steep (around 4%) before you descend to the flat and make your way back to the start.
  • many thanks thats encouraging
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    As others have said, you will not encounter anything that could be described as steep. Take it steady, spin a nice easy gear and you'll be absolutely fine.
  • Watch out for the climb out of Deia which goes over 10% in a few places. Often underestimated as it's not a 'Col' but it does drag on a bit
  • Good shout on the Deia climb. Not very long, but probably one of the steeper ones on the course. Col de Femenia is just a longish drag, as is the run up to Puig from the cutoff to Sa Calobra.

A couple of bits of advice.....

Watch the descent off Puig, it's >10 miles and all the mentalists give it full beans here. Last year the road was still a little greasy after rain in places under the trees, and there were a few 'offs'.. 50mph+ is easy on this stretch, and some of the turns lower down are quite tight.

When you come into Soller, there are train/tram tracks in the road, and again saw a few unwary riders come off.

Other than that, it's just a fair bit of long slow grinding. Keep a steady pace and you'll be fine. I'm 55 and did the route of the 167 last year with Sa Calobra thrown in and hadn't done much more training than you. I'm riding the 312 this year and am beginning to think I'm seriously under-trained for the distance. Sh1t weather and man flu are my excuses....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Im doing the middle distance this year, after a pause of 3 years, as frankly the 312 isnt the same once they no longer go round the island (cue nostalgic "good old days" rant).

167 is a nice route, and manageable if youve done, say, 6-8 hours training a week, and given it has a later start time this year you wont have too many people blasting though, but the big issue Ive found isnt so much the climb but the first descent from Col de Monnaber (called puig major by tourists even though its not) into Soller. Too many people with too high an option of there own prowess. Which, perhaps, is Mallorcan cycling tourists in a nutshell, for example I was out for a jolly yesterday with a ride guide and the owner of a bike hire company to be yelled at to "get off the racing line" by some English numpty descending on the hoods.

After that, although the dig up to Deia is steep indeed, and basically its just two long climbs. The key change this year for the two bigger distances is they are going from Andratx up to Capdella on what isnt a great quality road, which is, as they say, where the race will be won or lost.

My tip? Come end October.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    If you pace you should be fine. Just take the part to top of puig within yourself and then use the last 1/2 to go full throttle on a pace line.

Looking at route it's all weighted to the front. The climb out of deia is no steeper that cold harbour lane. Basically it's like pasture wood road - and the steep bits about that length. There are some fast descends and I suggest stay away from the shoulder as there are occasional hazards that you don't want to hit at speed.

If you have a tail wind the road from esporles to Santa Maria is very very fast. A bit rolling to llosta but still fast.

The road from andratx is on the 225. It's gorgeous but yes one of the worst roads; makes Surrey seem smooth.

It's a shame they don't return via orient.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Mallorca is great for cycling just because you can get into the high mountains but unlike the UK you don't have to grind up 20% climbs to do it, most don't go above 5-6%. Even the famous Sa Calobra is actually quite an easy climb, so as long as you're sensible about your pacing if you can do it, certainly if you regularly ride 50-100 miles in the UK you won't have issue.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    4kicks wrote:
    Im doing the middle distance this year, after a pause of 3 years, as frankly the 312 isnt the same once they no longer go round the island (cue nostalgic "good old days" rant).

167 is a nice route, and manageable if youve done, say, 6-8 hours training a week, and given it has a later start time this year you wont have too many people blasting though, but the big issue Ive found isnt so much the climb but the first descent from Col de Monnaber (called puig major by tourists even though its not) into Soller. Too many people with too high an option of there own prowess. Which, perhaps, is Mallorcan cycling tourists in a nutshell, for example I was out for a jolly yesterday with a ride guide and the owner of a bike hire company to be yelled at to "get off the racing line" by some English numpty descending on the hoods. .

The descent from the Monnaber tunnel is indeed fanstastic, partly because of the great road surface. Was marred slightly when I was doing it as there was a motorcycle rally on, literally hundreds of motorbikes going up the climb and many of them not staying in their lane either, deafening and frightening at times. I pitied those who were trying to cycle up among all that.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    So how did it go?

Weather was great - dry, 18C and no wind - so the descents were fantastic. Forgot how horrible the two wee cols straight after the feed stops at Es Capdella were with cold legs and a full stomach, saw one guy heaving his guts out at the top. The surfaces on some of the back roads around Inca were worse than I remembered, made ours look good by comparison. Was drafting one of the support motorbikes at one point when he hit a hole that nearly took him out of the saddle - I just managed to bunny-hop it but the guy beside me blew out his front tyre and cracked his nice deep-section Enve rim. Ouch. Finish line was awesome, but was glad to get off the bike and collapse in a messy heap after 194 miles and 13 and a half hours.

Closed roads are fantastic, but the organisers have still got a lot to learn about managing a big event like this. Feed stops were chaotic, with the food tents set up right after the timing gates, so big queues formed as folks fought (literally!) over dwindling supplies of ham sarnies, cans of coke and bananas. It was like a cross between a fire sale and the Zombie apocalypse at Arta. I rode the Vatternrundan a couple of years ago, and the event was immaculately organised, even though there were nearly four times the number of riders. Experience (and culture) makes all the difference.

A pal texted me afterwards to see how I got on, and wanted to know if I would recommend the long course, and if so, would I do it again? Yes to the first, and an emphatic no to the second!

Anyone want to buy a bike? ;)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • 4kicks
    Yes, Im proud to say the road outside my house and my hotel (by Moscari) was the worst on the entire route! I didnt pass by Arta as I did the 225, but have to say when I got to the feedstops I found the only issue was getting through, plenty of food and drinks left. Lovely day and was pleasantly surprised that, apart from the climb up into Alaro the roads were pretty clear and easy to ride, despite 7000 people on them! Oh, and if anyone found a Cateye Strava on the Col den Claret descent, can I have it back please!
  • Sorry have not updated this thread but I didnt finish not because I couldnt found the climbs ok, but my buddy had a crash down the main decent and crack his helmet in two, decided to cycle on but got to the 55 mile mark and he was really suffering so we called it a day. Going back this year same buddy but taking my own bike and would like to finish it, buddy has done a bit more training than last year and hopefully we will not crash again. Just done my latest FTP got a power to weight of 3.01 kgs which I hope will see me though this year.
  • 4kicks
    My plan this year (shhh) is to do the 225 route but then around andratx head into Palma and head east then north to do the REAL 312 round the island, via Santyani, Calla Millor , Portocristo and Arta - dont really need the closed roads once the descents are over and last year the last 60kms were really boring!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The roads on the southern swing of the Rando-312 route are fairly boring aswell tbh. Portocristo looked nice, but we zipped through when we did 'the lap' last year. Getting through Palma is a real time-sink by the way. Plan accordingly.
  • 4kicks
    Peat wrote:
    The roads on the southern swing of the Rando-312 route are fairly boring aswell tbh. Portocristo looked nice, but we zipped through when we did 'the lap' last year. Getting through Palma is a real time-sink by the way. Plan accordingly.
    My son goes to School in san Agustin so Im pretty aware how to get round the south side of Palma quickly. Agree south east is boring but at least I wont be one of like a gazillion on the trek back north from Anthrax