eBike OMG!

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    My grandfather used an e-bike for when he was too weak to cycle around unassisted but still wanted to. Got him some exercise in his old age.

Ebikes tearing around at moped speeds should be treated like mopeds, since that's ultimately what they are.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Ebikes tearing around at moped speeds should be treated like mopeds, since that's ultimately what they are.

Correct, it's easy to buy a 1500-2500w motor to stick on a bike and with the right battery/ tyres you can easily be hitting 40-50mph. Try finding information about getting it tested/insured ect to make it a legal electric scooter and there is absolutely nothing.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    prawny wrote:
    anthdci wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    not the ones I see .. the ones I see are full on mountain bikes .. giant sons of biatches, massive knobbly tires, big frames ... they make my tiny bikes look like childrens bikes when I pull up next to one

they'll most likely be custom made ones then, rather than buying from a bike shop.

Nah E-MTBs are The Next Big Thing, a lot of MTB manufacturers are really pushing them at the mo, but the prices are astronomical.

The Specialized Turbo Levo looks a hoot.

specialized-turbo-levo-fsr-comp-6fattie-electric-bike-review.jpg

Did some singletrack a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy that looked like he knew what he was doing on an E-MTB with his Doberman in hot pursuit. He had the electric bike so that he could keep the dog honest. Similar use case to OP I guess :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I remember coming across an e-bike version of the Wazoo last year online at http://wing-ebikes.co.uk/?page_id=5160 , with a control panel that gets rid of the 15mph road limiter for when off-road, but my worry was and still is spending ~£1700 on a bike with such a small guarantee for any of it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    They definitely have their place, and towing that kind of weight sounds reasonable. One of my neighbours had an ebike to ride to work, without it there is no way she would have ridden to work. But I fixed the brakes on it for her a couple of times. That thing weighed a ton but it just had cheap V brakes on it. This was a fairly cheap one I think, surely the brakes should be uprated to cope with the weight and speed. I'm sure they would be on one from a reputable brand.
  • kingpinsam wrote:
    I wonder if the only people who dislike them are those who have precious Strava KOMs to protect.

A lot of the ebikes I tend to notice are the ones that aren't road legal, that's what people don't like; essentially using unlicenced motorbikes on cycle infrastructure.

this.

and they ride like twunts.

There's a massive loophole exploited by dodgy shop owners like the one mentioned by the OP. They should be shut down. End of.

Fair play to anyone using a legal one.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    kingpinsam wrote:
    I wonder if the only people who dislike them are those who have precious Strava KOMs to protect.

A lot of the ebikes I tend to notice are the ones that aren't road legal, that's what people don't like; essentially using unlicenced motorbikes on cycle infrastructure.

this.

and they ride like twunts.

There's a massive loophole exploited by dodgy shop owners like the one mentioned by the OP. They should be shut down. End of.

Fair play to anyone using a legal one.

Saying that . Worlds best cycling infrastructure in Holland still allows scooters on cycling paths. WT physical F
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Saying that . Worlds best cycling infrastructure in Holland still allows scooters on cycling paths. WT physical F

Yup - they are meant to be limited to 25km/h but often do in excess of 40. There were moves to have them shifted to the road which was certainly going to upset the car (read taxi) drivers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think e-bikes are a great idea if people want to get about but need the extra oomph to get up hills etc. It is much more preferable to them jumping in the car or on a motor bike. Bit more environmentally friendly and all that. You can still get a work out if you dial back the power output.

I think e-bikes are a great idea, but they aren't "bikes" as such. They have about as much right to be on Strava, or in a bike race, or even a discussion on SCR, as a moped.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    BigMat wrote:
    I think e-bikes are a great idea if people want to get about but need the extra oomph to get up hills etc. It is much more preferable to them jumping in the car or on a motor bike. Bit more environmentally friendly and all that. You can still get a work out if you dial back the power output.

I think e-bikes are a great idea, but they aren't "bikes" as such. They have about as much right to be on Strava, or in a bike race, or even a discussion on SCR, as a moped.

Yeah. And you know fully well anyone with access to one will be straight on that 15% climb that they blowout their arse on normally using a proper bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    BigMat wrote:

very valid point but then again this is C/Chat so pretty much anything, i'm pretty sure we've been off topic on cars, defo BBQs and a million other totally unrelated to cycling topics, mmmm smoked meats :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I like em.

Tried a Bosch system at Kielder centre and thought it would be great for anyone who could justify it.

I couldn`t but can well appreciate why some would.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    itboffin wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

very valid point but then again this is C/Chat so pretty much anything, i'm pretty sure we've been off topic on cars, defo BBQs and a million other totally unrelated to cycling topics, mmmm smoked meats :D

For sure, just think the distinction needs to be made. I wouldn't rule out getting one some day.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    thats not an ebike this is an ebike http://www.mcipollini.com/en/biciclette/mcm2

I'd love to try one out
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Trying to get the wife interested in a Trek Neko+ so least she gets and gets SOME exercise.

Not biting yet.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    greenamex2 wrote:
    Trying to get the wife interested in a Trek Neko+ so least she gets and gets SOME exercise.

Not biting yet.

I used this as another reason to get one in that I would lend it to her when we went cycling together as she is crap at going up hills and gives up leaving me feeling guilty...
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    greenamex2 wrote:
    Trying to get the wife interested in a Trek Neko+ so least she gets and gets SOME exercise.

Not biting yet.

I used this as another reason to get one in that I would lend it to her when we went cycling together as she is crap at going up hills and gives up leaving me feeling guilty...

Mine doesn't do flat and downhill is a struggle!
  • Pufftmw
    Picked up eBike yesterday & it is an absolute hoot but didn't really have time to enjoy it in the quick ride home but everything so effortless. Bit worried about the effect of attaching the dog trailer this morning but I needn't have worried, it was just as easy, it was almost as if the trailer (all 20kg of it & dog) wasn't even there. Riding in the flow of traffic is much easier, so therefore safer and you can still filter through traffic to the head of the queue. It never occurred to me that there might have been any form of headwind today and hills are just no different to the flat. Only downside I can think of currently is that you tend to get colder as you're not generating as much heat energy.

Yes, I did overtake a load of bicycles today but I didn't see it as SCR or a challenge. The whole ride in was so much calmer for me and I arrived at the office feeling fresh and relaxed. Same for the dog!

I didn't Strava it this time but I may in the future and keep the rides private or report myself on any place takings when using it. I've been riding the same route more or less for 6 years, so very rare I go up the rankings these days.

All in all, very pleased with how it was this morning and looking forward to the ride home. If you get a chance, try one.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    There's an while option on Strava now, no need to not log it. Then you don't show up on the main segments
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pufftmw
    prawny wrote:
    There's an while option on Strava now, no need to not log it. Then you don't show up on the main segments

Ah an E-Bike Ride - thanks :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Pufftmw wrote:
    but everything so effortless.

All in all, very pleased with how it was this morning and looking forward to the ride home. If you get a chance, try one.

so effortless ..... yeah, this is exactly why I don't want one, I guess if you view the bike as a mode of transport then electric assist not only makes sense but is enjoyable

I don't really view he bike that way though ... I don't want the ride to be easy I want each ride to be like an FTP test .. just a fun one that cuts across fields and has mini challenges that involve racing other people but still leaving enough energy to get home in the best time or race later on

If I was towing a dog though and limited to the safety of keeping the dog safe .... I would probably ike one as going slowely whilst pulling something is just not going to be fun under normal conditions
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    but everything so effortless.

so effortless ..... yeah, this is exactly why I don't want one, I guess if you view the bike as a mode of transport then electric assist not only makes sense but is enjoyable

I don't really view he bike that way though ... I don't want the ride to be easy I want each ride to be like an FTP test .. just a fun one that cuts across fields and has mini challenges that involve racing other people but still leaving enough energy to get home in the best time or race later on

If I was towing a dog though and limited to the safety of keeping the dog safe .... I would probably ike one as going slowely whilst pulling something is just not going to be fun under normal conditions

If you want every ride to be a test then you could just set your back brake on - that'll give a good drag ...
    Having towed a trailer around and had a 13Kg child + seat just on the back of the bike up and down hills I can see why an e-bike would be a godsend for regular trips.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Slowbike wrote:
    If you want every ride to be a test then you could just set your back brake on

I opted for a single speed instead ...... that way you are pretty much always in the wrong gear ... on the way in you spin your legs like a mofo and cant get any quicker, on the way home I grind away at a painful cadence wondering why I bother lugging the saddle along with me
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    E-bikes aren't for all, on the other hand I have no issue with someone riding a legal e-bike in a manner that doesn't negatively impact others.

My neighbour uses an e-bike to get to work, he's not fit enough for the circa 6 miles each way but at least he's out and working.

A guy in my cycling club is 64 and loves MTBing, he rides an e-bike so he can join our rides without holding us up - that way we all get out of it as much as we can.

But not for me thanks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I'm all for de-restricted e-bikes. I dont have one, but researched the idea before buying a 125 moped. I chose to swerve the ebike thing for now, despite being comfortable with building my own and riding it. Surely it has to be time to re-consider e-bike law in the UK?
  • On_What wrote:
    I'm all for de-restricted e-bikes. I dont have one, but researched the idea before buying a 125 moped. I chose to swerve the ebike thing for now, despite being comfortable with building my own and riding it. Surely it has to be time to re-consider e-bike law in the UK?

Maybe needs a rethink, but very carefully.

Why don't we treat all electric cars the same as a pedal cars?
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    agree, it seems illogical to put them in the same category as 125cc mopeds. I think it's all a bit of a legacy issue from when folk tried bolting small petrol engines to push bikes in the 50s
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It seems very logical to me unless/until a category that replicates restricted '50cc' bikes is introduced (the higher powered electric bikes exceed those restrictions) they are aligned legally with the lowest powered IC engined bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.