University Project

JackHuddleston6
JackHuddleston6 Posts: 12
edited February 2017 in The cake stop
Hi,

I am currently doing my final year university design project on bike storage.

Is space an issue when you store your bike? Does it get in the way? If this is something that you struggle with, please send an image or even a text description of your ways of storing. Please send to jack.huddleston911@gmail.com

Gathering real user insights is greatly beneficial for designing a well defined product so any responses will be greatly advantageous.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    LOL you'll find that lots on here have >1 bike - I have, err, 5 (plus 3 others at home for wife and kids :lol: )

I'm lucky enough to have a garage but storage is a major issue - have a rack plus a bike hung on the wall, plus 2 bikes don't live in the garage (one in London, one on turbo in house)

Biggest challenge is keeping bikes accessible and usable but safely out of the way

Plus there's also all the other cr*p that comes with bikes - helmets, locks, car rack, luggage, etc. - you might want to take this into account.

HTH

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    SecretSam wrote:
    LOL you'll find that lots on here have >1 bike - I have, err, 5 (plus 3 others at home for wife and kids :lol: )

I'm lucky enough to have a garage but storage is a major issue - have a rack plus a bike hung on the wall, plus 2 bikes don't live in the garage (one in London, one on turbo in house)

Biggest challenge is keeping bikes accessible and usable but safely out of the way

Plus there's also all the other cr*p that comes with bikes - helmets, locks, car rack, luggage, etc. - you might want to take this into account.

HTH

Absolutely that - Bikes are one thing but incorporating somewhere for helmets, shoes, tools, spare tyres/tubes, lube, jerseys, bibs and so on would be a great addition to any "storage system"
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a shed. And another shed. And a conservatory.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I used to have a study, now i have a bike store/workshop/turbo room

Kids bikes live in the shed
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    We have four in total - the two least valuable go outside in a locked bike shed (D-locked together), and the two most valuable go in our utility room side by side (also D-locked together just in case), where there is just about room for them and the washing machine, along with all cycling shoes, overshoes, helmets, old mudguards, tools, gloves etc. The only cycling things not in there are the clothes.
    Will be looking for new house soon, so I'll need to find a similar set-up or consider downsizing the fleet (noooo!)
  • I actually find it amazing that someone goes to university to study cycle storage!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    OP, do you still want pics if we don't struggle, space is not an issue, and it doesn't get in the way?

Just wondering :D

The older I get, the better I was.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I used to have a study, now i have a bike store/workshop/turbo room

Kids live in the shed

FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I keep my bikes in the garage which is an insurance requirement. Occasionally I keep them in a gravitational singularity like a black hole because they have loads of space - but it is a bit tricky retrieving them. Sometimes they will, if the universe is sufficiently curved, go through a wormhole and pop out in Uranus. That also poses a retrieval problem.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    FishFish wrote:
    pop out in Uranus

I'd see a doctor about that

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Which uni are you studying at and what is the name of your course ?