Tubular Tyres

Tiesetrotter
Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I have been using Vittoria Corsa CX's for a long while now. I went online to look for the new replacements now with funky Graphene stuff in them .......... circa £70! Then there is the Rally, about 20% heavier and only £15!

Firstly anyone used the Rally as it looks suspiciously cheap.
Secondly anyone got any good suggestions for alternatives to Corsa's

Be sad to move away from Vittoria as I have always used their tyres.

Comments

• matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I've just taped some Corsa Elites to my 303, yet to ride them but they should still be good.

290tpi versus 320tpi and a butyl tube rather than latex, but then they are half the price!

Seem to be around £28-35 each online.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Veloflex Carbon tubs are cheaper and better than the older Vitt Corsa.

thre is a German outfit that do them for 58 euros
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Conti Competitions, or Sprinters - both worth considering, depending on whatever type of use you are putting them to.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    i tried the corsa g+, lovely ride, but the moment the road is wet they cut far more than veloflex, unless you've the luxury of dry roads, i'd give the g+ a miss

conti comps aren't nearly as plush, they still cut but are tougher, that's what i'm using to ride out the winter

once the winter is over it'll be back to veloflex - carbon front/arenberg rear
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If it makes any difference, gluing on Conti Comps was about the least fun I've had since I had my wisdom teeth removed... Veloflex Carbons practically fitted themselves by comparison!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    yep, i find the conti ones do need putting on a rim to stretch first, a day or so makes a huge difference in ease of mounting

even for that i had to go old skool and put a foot on one end and use both hands to pull up the other, then work it around, just to stretch it enough to get on a clean rim

the vittoria and veloflex go on without any fuss, no need to stretch them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I've found soaking conti competitions in water for a while before putting them on a rim to stretch them out really made the process easier.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I've found soaking conti competitions in water for a while before putting them on a rim to stretch them out really made the process easier.

Interesting - stretching them dry had no discernible affect at all!

To be honest though, if you going to the trouble of running tubs, you can do better than Conti Comps... they have the same sort of consistency as a garden hose.
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    the Rally doesnt have a removable valve core so cant get puncture sealant in it.
    On Corsa cx's at the moment , got a Corsa elite hanging up ready to go on. see how it goes
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Conti comps may not be the plushest tub on the market but they are reliable. I have them on an old trek which I mostly use during the dark months. Conti in the winter something nicer when its dry. Got too many conti tubs though to wear out.

Dugast tubulars are worth a go.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    oh there is a reason why the vittoria Rally and the conti giro are cheap, they are well rubbish.

The GP4000s tub is really quite nice. I never tire of using these.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Vittoria CX s are great, just don't get the old Evo model, slippy in the wet.
    The G+ was launched to much fanfare and hyper marketing leading people to believe it was the best thing since sliced bread, but now seems it's really nothing special, especially at £80 a pop (i pay 35 euros for Cxs)