Cyclist Killed in Newmarket

2»

Comments

• oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Again, not related to this but I took my son back to Queens' from Addenbrooke's last night and saw about 20 cyclists without lights and another 20 with totally inadequate lights. WTF are they thinking???

Sounds about par for the course in Cambridge :roll:

Can be 'interesting' going down Mill Road in the evening with unlit bikes pulling out of side roads and peds at the bottom of the bridge.

Mind you there are plenty of cars who run red lights coming out of Coleridge Road.

Most of the time I feel safer commuting down the A10 than riding in Cambridge.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    and we'll all be safe on the road now Suffolk polices response to both crashes is to offer this safety advice. :roll: http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/police_issue ... _1_4866463
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,810
    Sound advice.
    And clearly required as some seem oblivious to common sense.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That advise needs to be ongoing tough. maybe billboard adds e.t.c.

Had one van driver beep me this morning and stick two fingers up at me. I was on the other side of the road going the other way about 1m from the verge. What was his problem FFS.

Driving is not a right it is a privilege granted by having a licence. Some motorist forget this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You might lose your licence for a short period of time for what can be a horrendous crime but seemingly guaranteed to get it back after going through a few rather inconsequential hoops.
    Too easy to get one, almost impossible to lose one... sums up your average driver's "I'll do what a f fin well want to, I'll get away with it got 99.999999% of the time " attitude.
    We've had seat belt laws since before most on here were even born... you still get those who ignore.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    The victim of the second accident has died. http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/cyclist_who_ ... _1_4867837 Just terrible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    That's very sad but, from what my brother was saying, not unexpected. Shocking waste of life in both incidents
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing for years then 2 fatal accidents in the same week. Very sad :(
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be fair the standard of driving around Cambridge and surrounding counties is fairly shocking. Shockingly bad I mean. There is also a serious lack of road policing and when reported it usually goes unpunished. I want to move to the west midlands, if only for their police force taking it seriously.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    gabriel959 wrote:
    To be fair the standard of driving around Cambridge and surrounding counties is fairly shocking. Shockingly bad I mean. There is also a serious lack of road policing and when reported it usually goes unpunished. I want to move to the west midlands, if only for their police force taking it seriously.

well there isnt any road policing at all around those counties IME once you get off the A14, I dont even think Suffolk has its own road traffic unit anymore it sort of merged in with Norfolks (which is why I think only Norfolk were reported as going along to that West Midlands cycling course) and they have at most 2 cars and 2 motorbikes to cover the whole county, which basically means they cant cover it at all.

even when they do catch people :roll: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-36953439

so people drive accordingly without fear of being caught, why I thought their "advice" was pretty meaningless, however sensible people might think it, because thats basically all theyll do about it, not have a big publicised weeks county wide blitz on bad driving/speeding/mobile phone use and then followed up with random ongoing checks, its just publish some advice and forget about it
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Well, as long as Norfolk and Suffolk start using car drivers and cyclists video evidence as good enough (like WMP) then at least some small steps will be taken in the right direction.

In Cambridge the police don't want your video evidence, they are that shit.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Well, as long as Norfolk and Suffolk start using car drivers and cyclists video evidence as good enough (like WMP) then at least some small steps will be taken in the right direction.
    Well that approach has been exported round the country so there is some hope. I did see an article in the Bath local newspaper recently that they were going to start doing some road policing based on the methods that WMP were using. Apparently WMP were pitching this as a good thing to other police forces.

Mike