Do i need to buy a tubeless wheelset or can i convert my old wheels?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
As title suggests. I have a set of Fulcrum Race Sport CX disc brake wheels and some Hutchinson Sector 32c tyres. I have tape, sealant and valves. What I don't have is a set of tubeless wheels as such and to be honest I don't want to fork out for any either. Did some research on line and Stans website says you can convert any wheel to run tubeless. Is this true? Don't want my tyre falling off! I think I asked this before on here and was told you cant convert any old wheel to tubeless...cant recall now.

Comments

• Which rims?
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
  • try, you've only got a bit of tubeless tape to lose
  • bmxboy10
    Will it be safe?
  • If it goes up, it will probably stay up. Don't go crazy with the pressure and it will be safe
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 if it goes up it'll be safe

I've done various std. rims in the past, like Open Pros, and the only issue is getting them up and seated. If that works then they'll be fine. You need tubeless tyres though.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bmxboy10
    Will try this weekend so fingers crossed.

I have Sector 32c tyres. The packaging on the tyre states max PSI = 33 PSI. Surely that's not right? I understand larger volume tyres need a lower pressure but I would have thought these need inflating to 50- 60 PSI minimum?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    that must be a mistake. Even MTB tyres take more than 33...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Will try this weekend so fingers crossed.

I have Sector 32c tyres. The packaging on the tyre states max PSI = 33 PSI. Surely that's not right? I understand larger volume tyres need a lower pressure but I would have thought these need inflating to 50- 60 PSI minimum?

Never read the packaging... I use them at 80 psi, as they are not as big as you would expect, more a 30 than a 32
  • bmxboy10
    Front wheel went up and is holding at 60 psi and I agree it's not a true 32c.