31261487503_0e7f3d5385_z.jpg

My new whip - first road bike I've owned since my teenage years

Stock at the moment -
Cube carbon frame and fork
Shimano 105 Gearset throughout
Shimano BR-RS505 hydraulic disc brakes
Fulcrum wheels
I've fitted 105 carbon composite pedals

Had it's first test ride on the weekend, 23 miles, rides really nice, on the flat and up & down (slightly icy) hills - very pleased with it.
GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Nice, does it take full 'guards?
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Yes, Cube make a specific set for the Attain disc version = £35
  • You got the same first road bike as me, with the same pedals :D
  • You got the same first road bike as me, with the same pedals :D

Clearly a man of exquisite taste
  • Looking good Mr. NotHere!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Looking good Mr. NotHere!

Thanks, rides nice too. For a stock bike under a grand I reckon it's a bargain
  • There are a lot of disc bikes coming in at that price point so it's pretty competative giving the punter good value for their money.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thanks, rides nice too. For a stock bike under a grand I reckon it's a bargain
    I've nothing to directly compare it to as it's my first proper road bike, but compared to the various mountain and hybrid bikes I've been on over the years it's a revelation. I'm loving it.

You got any upgrades in mind yet or just going to enjoy it for a while?

The one thing I do need to change is the saddle, it just doesn't match my backside at all :D I'll probably get a lighter carbon seatpost at the same time, may as well start shedding a few grams while I'm at it.
  • Thanks, rides nice too. For a stock bike under a grand I reckon it's a bargain
    I've nothing to directly compare it to as it's my first proper road bike, but compared to the various mountain and hybrid bikes I've been on over the years it's a revelation. I'm loving it.

You got any upgrades in mind yet or just going to enjoy it for a while?

The one thing I do need to change is the saddle, it just doesn't match my backside at all :D I'll probably get a lighter carbon seatpost at the same time, may as well start shedding a few grams while I'm at it.

I've had the benefit of loaning a couple of friends/family bikes and it rides a lot nicer than any of those.

Upgrades, nothing immediate other than i might fit a slightly shorter stem (20mm or so) as it feels like im over reaching a tiny bit. The 53cm felt too small, the 56 is perhaps a whisker too long but nothing major.

Oh i might fit one of these also (they don't appear to offer similar for front though)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic78888&awc=2698_1483606648_ea4f8896d25801fd9cc708c25af87168
  • I saw those, but as I always have a multi tool with me when I ride that has an appropriate Allen key on it I'm not sure I need to. I'm not racing, an extra minute at most to change a wheel over doesn't bother me.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That name's a blast from the past :)

Nice wheels.
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Ive just sold my Sensa Giulia tonight as bit too racy for me, and came across these, cracking valve , its a come down from ultegra i had but with 105 hydraulics and carbon, i reckon its my next purchase
    and a more relaxed geometry which i need now
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • Go for it. I'm loving mine and people with far more knowledge about bikes than me tell me it's well worth it :)
  • stumpym4 wrote:
    Ive just sold my Sensa Giulia tonight as bit too racy for me, and came across these, cracking valve , its a come down from ultegra i had but with 105 hydraulics and carbon, i reckon its my next purchase
    and a more relaxed geometry which i need now

If you can squeeze another £250 you could look at the SL version. Same frame and most components but with Ultegra groupset and DT Swiss wheels. Hargroves have the 2016 model for £1,249

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-2016-road-bike.html?gclid=CIXln73lwtECFQs4GwodlmwDOQ
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Nice! Although I am biased, I bought one myself a few months ago :mrgreen:

lC96LKH.jpg
  • stumpym4
    mine will be here Wednesday :) .. cant ride until a week later due to a s**t work rota !
    On One 853 single speed
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    That colour way is just superb, enjoy. Lovely machine. Looks like a combo of the current BMC hot spud and a giant. Likely from one of the Tawain factories, which makes it a great bike. I'd have it on looks. Nice one.
  • The colours look even better in the flesh as well, the matte grey and fluro orange really looks fantastic.
  • RobiEli
    RobiEli Posts: 25
    I just ordered one a few days ago. This is my first road bike since my 10 speed Azzurri I had in the 80's and I've never owned a carbon bike... Can't wait to give it a go! It's all I've been thinking about lol.
  • Looks like there's a bit of an owners club developing here :D
  • stumpym4
    Had it almost a week now and not been able to get out because of work :(

finally got out and so much more comfortable than my racey frame i sold .. may need a slightly shorter stem , as find the hood quite long ?

DSC04291_zpsd2eehqav.jpg
    On One 853 single speed
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • stumpym4 wrote:
    Had it almost a week now and not been able to get out because of work :(

finally got out and so much more comfortable than my racey frame i sold .. may need a slightly shorter stem , as find the hood quite long ?

Same, i've just bought a cheap 80mm Deda stem to try, the hoods themselves are longer than those on my mate's bike. Maybe because of the hydraulic? Dunno

Moved my saddle as far forward as i could, pedalling position felt better if anything on my last ride and improved the reach. Think i will still swap out the stem and see how it feels though

Still v happy with the bike
  • I also bought one as my new winter trainer on our cycle scheme! With salary sacrifice, works out I'm paying IRO £600 :D

Lot of bike for the money. It's heavy, but not concerned for the purpose its intended. Fitted the Cube Guards after finally managing to track a set down! They're a fantastic system- rock solid and relatively easy to fit (I added the extra SKS flap at the back). I'd question running more than 25s with the guards. They'll probably fit....but you'll be catching a fair amount of grit between the tyre and the guard.

I ripped most of the wheel decals off- far too busy. Swapped saddle out to Arione and added Speedplays. I think I need a longer stem, but it's a weird one. As already pointed out, the hydro hoods are so long, that on the hoods, position feels right, but on tops or drops, feels cramped. I'll try a 120mm.

Lovely clean frame with all cables internally routed. Thru axles etc. The paintwork picks up dirt and oily fingerprints very easily, but nothing a dab of WD40 on a rag doesn't sort.

IMG_20170129_172534%5B1%5D.jpg
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    How much did those Cube guards cost? Might try and find a pair myself, are they easy to get on/off? Still got the new bike grin riding mine :D
  • courtmed wrote:
    How much did those Cube guards cost? Might try and find a pair myself, are they easy to get on/off? Still got the new bike grin riding mine :D

They were about £35, but finding them was a PITA.

Nobody had stock and pre-order dates are sometime in March I think. Not sure why this is so- someone mentioned Cube might have recalled them for some reason.

I finally managed to track one pair down at Leisure Lakes. They're easy enough to get on and off, but I wouldn't say they're that easy to swap out on a daily basis- more leave them on for winter, and take off in the spring (if you're using as an all year around bike). Mines winter/ wet miles only, so they're staying on...

They're very good anyway- no rattles, rubbing (25mm tyres), and do what they're supposed to do. Maybe a little short for riders following you in a group ride, hence I added the flap
  • Bought my GTC pro disc before Christmas after being a Geek and checking out loads of other bikes. For the spec the Cube was an unbelievable price. Other brands with exactly the same spec and actually a tad heavier were around the 2k mark and even higher. The one thing I did do recently was removed the orange/red lettering from the wheels - it actually looks even more expensive with just the 77 numbers in white. I was going to add a photo but haven't a clue how to do it - any advice? It is a very comfortable bike although brakes are embarrassing in the wet as they sound like trumpets when applied. Also, does anyone have trouble at times down shifting?
  • RobiEli
    RobiEli Posts: 25
    Sounds like you could use a visit to your local bike shop for some fine adjustments...you shouldn't be hearing trumpets and down shifting shouldn't be a problem either.
  • Rolleur65 wrote:
    Bought my GTC pro disc before Christmas after being a Geek and checking out loads of other bikes. For the spec the Cube was an unbelievable price. Other brands with exactly the same spec and actually a tad heavier were around the 2k mark and even higher. The one thing I did do recently was removed the orange/red lettering from the wheels - it actually looks even more expensive with just the 77 numbers in white. I was going to add a photo but haven't a clue how to do it - any advice? It is a very comfortable bike although brakes are embarrassing in the wet as they sound like trumpets when applied. Also, does anyone have trouble at times down shifting?

The brakes do make a trumpet sound initially if it's wet/damp, second application they are quieter tho

Shifting has been perfect on mine, needed a minor adjustment after a few miles but just down to new cables stretching
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited February 2017
    The brakes on mine squeak a lot when wet, but are fine in the dry. As for shifting, mine's perfect, so I guess yours just needs a tweak or two.
  • Re the down shifting, yes I have! Occasionally the lever just flaps about loosely a few times before it engages again. It's as if there's some kind of slack in the cable somewhere, but I can't find it...