Campagnolo potenza ?

part time waster
part time waster Posts: 244
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I fancy a new 11 speed campag groupset , had 10 speed chorus previously for 10 years and it's still faultless now on a winter bike.
I like the idea of potenza as it's new out , has anyone run this stuff and is it worth the upgrade from Athena , or better to save up for Chorus ?
I like the ability to change a few gears at a time with chorus and the ability to trim the front mech with the odd click as reqd , I did have centaur 10 speed and these options were omitted, and it felt a bit twangy , it did work fine though.
I suppose the question , Is potenza a bit of a no mans land groupset ?
Thanks.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Nice for someone who comes from an old rusty six speed from the 80ies, but a downgrade from Chorus 10 speed.
    So, yes.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Potenza is almost a direct competition to Ultegra so it's not excactly a downgrade from Chorus if you take the trickle down technology. It's probably on par with 10 speed Chous if not better. Without upsetting the die hard Campagnolo owners there really isn't much in it from DA to Super Record and with 3 levels between SR and Potenza compared to 1 in shimano range there is very little in shifting or braking quality. Anyone says different need to get their head out of their arses.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You'll get one extra cog with potenza. Hood shape is nicer than old chorus. Shifting will feel a bit more slick. If you need a new groupset you will be happy with potenza.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for your views , I have tried the new 11 speed hoods and they are definitely an improvement. I'm pretty much die hard campag fan. Even though it's usually a bit dearer and somehow needlessly frustrating. Quality is never an issue with it in my opinion.
    I tried SRAM red , double guess / click system , the levers were the best of anything I have held , the remainder of the system I didn't find up to much for their top end offering. So sold the lot on.
    I will try to find someone actually using potenza and have a look.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just think tho - with 11-speed cross compatibility, you'll be able to save a bunch of cash by buying Shimano 11 speed cassettes rather than the outrageously pricey Campag Potenza ones.

Ultegra 11-32 cassette - £48 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 60583982uk)

Potenza 11-32 cassette = £125 (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Campagnolo-Pote ... qio8P8HAQ#)
  • smoggysteve
    arlowood wrote:
    Just think tho - with 11-speed cross compatibility, you'll be able to save a bunch of cash by buying Shimano 11 speed cassettes rather than the outrageously pricey Campag Potenza ones.

Ultegra 11-32 cassette - £48 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 60583982uk)

Potenza 11-32 cassette = £125 (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Campagnolo-Pote ... qio8P8HAQ#)

Though to do so he would need a wheel with a shimano free hub already fitted.
  • Using a shimano cassette instead of the campag version would be like setting off on a ride wearing bib shorts with skid marks.
    I would feel ashamed and dirty , even if nobody else noticed.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    This is the one you want http://road.cc/content/tech-news/216195-campagnolo-potenza-gets-shiny-makeover-cycloretrocom

I've got an old steel frame it would grace very nicely.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Potenza is almost a direct competition to Ultegra so it's not excactly a downgrade from Chorus if you take the trickle down technology. It's probably on par with 10 speed Chous if not better. Without upsetting the die hard Campagnolo owners there really isn't much in it from DA to Super Record and with 3 levels between SR and Potenza compared to 1 in shimano range there is very little in shifting or braking quality. Anyone says different need to get their head out of their arses.

Why do you bring in ShimaNO? Absolutely nothing to do with the question.
  • smoggysteve
    Keezx wrote:

Why do you bring in ShimaNO? Absolutely nothing to do with the question.

To upset mongs like you
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The lack of multi shift on the thumb shifter is a big omission for me with Potenza, they should've put it in but then Athena didn't have it and this is the replacement for that.

New Chorus is probably all the Campag groupo you'd ever want, same function as Record and Super just a few grams heavier.

Silver Potenza does look good on the right bike though if you need the classic look.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Looks like it will have to be chorus . Multi shifting on R.H.S is useful . Don't want to pump several times like old centaur Q.S system.
    Thanks. It does look the part though.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I've currently got a Master with 2015 Chorus and a Dream with 09/10 carbon Centaur, both have the multi RHS and it's such a useful function I think I'd miss it.

My plan when I saw the silver Potenza was to get it and put that on the Master for a more period look and then Chorus onto the Dream, but now I'm a bit stuck.

I guess you could mix and match with Chorus shifters but then you've got to buy seperately and that'll cost more or sell on the Potenza shifters.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • True the multi change button is fantastic. But my old Centaur 10 speed could change three gears by the time my brand new Ultegra on the winter bike has woken up to the fact that I really would like to change gear sometime in the near future. Sometimes also the sensitivity of the three click button is such that you can skip over a gear. If you get the rapid fire going on the single button, the change is almost as instant as the C/R/SR three click button. Making it the only system where there is no chance your cack-handedness mucks up the gear change somehow.

The new button placement also gets rid of the need for double jointed thumbs on the drops with compact bars. Which makes it just about perfect. Personally I never had a problem with the old placement, but I know quite a few did.