avg winter speeds

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited February 2017 in Road general
So we all know avg speed is down this time of year but just wondering how far down would they actually be if instead of the old winter hack i was out on the good summer bike for the same effort.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    My speed is down so much I keep checking the brakes aren't dragging.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Winter is not really a speed problem. traffic is and normally during summer holidays I am much faster than during school term time.
  • ChippyK wrote:
    My speed is down so much I keep checking the brakes aren't dragging.
    me too :P :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    So we all know avg speed is down this time of year but just wondering how far down would they actually be if instead of the old winter hack i was out on the good summer bike for the same effort.

About £4.50
  • Bobbinogs wrote:

About £4.50
    holy sh1t that much
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I am only slower on the climbs .... my flat and down hill haven't changed.

uphill has slowed probably due to the extra clothing, heavier rubber and all the lights stuck to me .. I weigh a tonne this time of year
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

No need to 'wonder' - ride it and find out.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Not just me then! Thank feck.
  • It's mainly down to the colder air with is far denser than warm air, thereby slowing you considerably (plus less aero winter clothing). Someone should do a Youtube video about that......:)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    my average speed has halved.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I've got faster, everywhere... But I have been training my ass off on my heavy commuter bike.

Went out on the race bike last Friday and it felt like I was pedalling air.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Ryan_W wrote:
    I've got faster, everywhere... But I have been training my ass off on my heavy commuter bike.

Went out on the race bike last Friday and it felt like I was pedalling air.

I agree with Ryan.

Its about fitness.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DavidJB wrote:
    my average speed has halved.
    Mine too...not halved but bloody hard work trying to get a 15/16 avg :(:(
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    denser air more clothing and for many a less aero bike/position all make us slower. Add to that more caution due to ice/wet greasy roads it is senisble to ride a bit slower. Like ryan though fittness is a big part. Generally my average pace is more like last summer's pace with caution. Can't wait for this summer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    I reckon 1.5mph, maybe 2mph slower on average. Cannot wait for summer!!!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Would you notice this "huge difference" without your speedometer?
  • 50 watts difference at 40km/h between extremes, i.e. high pressure v.cold day, versus low pressure very warm day.

And yes, I can feel that without a speedo.
  • All of my peers seem to be around 5 mph quicker during the winter. Such is the realism of Zwift :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I commuted for many years both with and without a computer or speedo.

1. Time is a funky variable and an unreliable guide. There are often times when a storming ride produces what seems at first glance a pedestrian time. It is still a storming ride.

2. Before speed measurement became so easy, journeys were often times door-to-door to the nearest few minutes.... Somehow that seemed more honest.

3. I know that I am a lot slower in the wet, even when pushing. I just do not descend or go into bends carrying as much speed, and that means exiting bends and reaching the bottom of a descent with lower speed.... it all drags down the average speed even though the rider may feel that he or she is right on the rivet for the whole hour.

My advice: Take those computers off from time to time. Training with no screen to look at and no HRM is liberating.... not on every ride, but on occasion.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If I didn't have a speedo I wouldn't be sure I was actually moving sometimes.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    All of my peers seem to be around 5 mph quicker during the winter. Such is the realism of Zwift :D

Zwift has nothing to do with cycling.
    So do not mention it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Keezx wrote:
    All of my peers seem to be around 5 mph quicker during the winter. Such is the realism of Zwift :D

So do not mention it.

What?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    All of the above is true... but I would have said that the difference between "best bike" and "winter hack" is far and away the smallest of the variables.
    Some factors that I perceive as being relevant to the difference in my speed - clearly some make much more difference than others:
    • heavier winter bike - about 2k for mine, most of which is the tyres
    • heavier/more restrictive clothing/equipment (how much does saturated winter gear weigh?)
    • less aero winter clothing
    • cold dense air
    • wind and rain
    • more careful descending/cornering on greasy/dark roads or when dazzled by headlights
    • can't see my speed - I find it's easier to push myself when I can
    • tyres - when you run 35mm studded tyres: yes, you notice the difference.
    • health - I seem to spend half the winter with a cold...

My commute is by far my most regular ride - 30km with about 300m climbing. In summer I average just over an hour. In winter it's roughly 5 minutes slower if I'm on my summer bike (when there's no ice risk), about 10-15 minutes on the winter bike.
    What always gets me about changing bikes is that it just feels so much faster and so much less effort on the summer bike.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Keezx wrote:
    So do not mention it.

I use my road cycling as training to get better on Zwift ... somewhere its all gone wrong ! :mrgreen:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    wouldn't worry about average speeds, they are pretty meaningless. its the work, or quality thereof that will make those averages go up (and also an awareness around weather, wind , air density and other factors).I went out on Saturday and did awful average speeds and next to no work except on the two climbs... that way my legs were primed for a decent ride on Sunday in the rain.

I also handle the bike differently around this time of the year.... i.e. more cautious.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was agonisingly slow at one point on Saturday. I could hear the rear wheel dragging on something as I toiled up a hill I normally find easy. At the top I had a look and found the whole of the rear guard completely packed with mud, and I could barely turn the wheel by hand. I had to spend 10 minutes with a variety of sticks trying to poke the bulk of it out, and the next few miles deliberately riding through puddles to try and wash out the rest. Think I'm going to have to find a cleaner route until that particular stretch is cleaned up...
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    So do not mention it.

I use my road cycling as training to get better on Zwift ... somewhere its all gone wrong ! :mrgreen:

:lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I'm a bit slower average speed wise than I was last summer. Initially thought it was me, but had a conversation with someone who used to be a very active amateur and he told me it's harder to ride in winter. Air is more dense, wind and weather can take their toll and you are wearing and carrying more (as already mentioned in this thread).

One thing I have noticed is that when it is windy this time of year (like it was on Saturday), it's a lot harder than when it's windy in summer.

I'm still managing to maintain 13/14 mph averages on my hybrid though. :)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    benws1 wrote:
    I'm still managing to maintain 13/14 mph averages on my hybrid though. :)
    just think how you'll go when you get a real bike ;-)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Nah I went faster in a TT in December than I have ever done, reckon its faster...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com