Log Splitters

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited January 2017 in The cake stop
Anyone recommend a decent, compact log splitter. Has to be electric powered.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Garry H wrote:

You'll be asking for an electric mountain bike next :shock:

Place your first log on the chopping block. ...
    Examine the wood before splitting it. ...
    Aim. ...
    Bring the maul up and down. ...
    Pull the axe bit out of the log if the wood fails to split on the first swing. ...
    Repeat your swing into the wood until the wood splits. ...
    Split and stack

:wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    A hand axe with a lump hammer to help it through knots works.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,845
    I'm a bit of a whizz with a proper, very sharp axe. The trick is to get the axe solidly in the log on the first swing - if it doesn't split, when you raise the axe over your shoulder, let the log swing back, so when you bring the axe back down onto the block, the back of the axe hits the block, and the weight/momentum of the log propels the logs down on the axe blade (which is pointing up, obviously).

Don't ever try to split elm though (if you get it) - for that you need a wood grenade and a sledge hammer.

Or I could read the OP and realise he's asking for an electric one... but doing it by hand is much more fun, and you get warm even before your burn the logs...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    Can't recommend one because I've never used one, like the above, I find an axe does okay.

Even better if you have some kind and brave soul who will 'spot' the logs for you, putting the log onto the chopping block and letting you concentrate on doing the chop. Saves theback no end.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    Garry H wrote:
    A mate of mine who liveson Forestry Commission land and has some chunky trees to deal with has one that he says works really well - I'll need to ask him what make it is.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Cheers Stevo. You also win the comprehension test :wink:

I need a quicker way of splitting badly knotted wood. I already have a decent axe (A Gransfors, for any axe enthusiasts out there) and a splitting wedge.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    Is there no one near you with a hydraulic splitter? They are not too difficult to set up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    1. Laughingly suggest to the missus she have a go
    2. Hand her the axe. Stand well back.
    3. Whisper *just* loud enough for her to hear "might help shift some of that fat off your lardy ar$e".
    4. Watch as logs become matchsticks in seconds.
    5. Time your run for the hills well.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,845
    Garry H wrote:

I need a quicker way of splitting badly knotted wood. I already have a decent axe (A Gransfors, for any axe enthusiasts out there) and a splitting wedge.
    That's a nice chopper you've got.

You'll notice that I did comprehend... but then answered another question entirely.
  • Stevo_666
    Garry H wrote:

Its like a lot of the threads in here then :wink:

Text sent - let's see if the lazy git replies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Garry H wrote:

you need to spend a lot of money for anything man enough for the job if it can't be split by hand, the guy who i get my chains from, recommends Lawnflite 5.5 or 7 tonne vertical ones around the £450 mark as the cheapest you can go for (but he also sells them!!!)
    even heavily knotted wood splits best when green or just saw it smaller?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Garry H wrote:
    The others understood, they were just telling you to MTFU. :P
  • Garry H
    mamba80 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

you need to spend a lot of money for anything man enough for the job if it can't be split by hand, the guy who i get my chains from, recommends Lawnflite 5.5 or 7 tonne vertical ones around the £450 mark as the cheapest you can go for (but he also sells them!!!)
    even heavily knotted wood splits best when green or just saw it smaller?

That's what I feared.

I can split them by hand, it's just that I'd rather not have to spend all day doing it. It's another weapon in the chopper's arsenal :wink:
  • Garry H
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Give me a break, I already mine my own coal.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

That's a nice chopper you've got.

You'll notice that I did comprehend... but then answered another question entirely.

Why thank you sir.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt Brian, with you being one of the more intelligent people that frequent this place :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    They're all lumberjacks and they're OK?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    An axe is not ideal for splitting logs, what you need is a splitting maul. It looks like an axe but the angles are different. I can stack 3 logs on top of each other and split all with one swing (12" logs). Helps if you can swing an axe properly though. regarding electric splitters, whilst they will do the job some are quite slow in operation, might not seem too bad but if you are doing much wood it is far quicker using a maul. Decent hydraulic or petrol splitters are quite expensive and require a lot of storage space.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Stevo_666
    Garry H wrote:

I can split them by hand, it's just that I'd rather not have to spend all day doing it. It's another weapon in the chopper's arsenal :wink:
    There do seem to be a lot of choppers on here :)
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    bbrap wrote:
    An axe is not ideal for splitting logs, what you need is a splitting maul. It looks like an axe but the angles are different.

Unless it's a splitting axe (it probably is). Splitting axes and splitting mauls are different. :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    They're all lumberjacks and they're OK?
    ... just like their dear papas.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    HaydenM wrote:
    bbrap wrote:
    An axe is not ideal for splitting logs, what you need is a splitting maul. It looks like an axe but the angles are different.

Unless it's a splitting axe (it probably is). Splitting axes and splitting mauls are different. :wink:

Fair enough, what I meant was one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97427?table=no :P
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    bbrap wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    bbrap wrote:

Fair enough, what I meant was one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97427?table=no :P

I was just being pedantic, if OP is happy with his gransfor (pressumably their rather lovely 'large splitting axe') for general splitting duties then a maul would fit the bill for heavily knotted wood.
  • My electric log splitter isn't man enough for knotted logs, I do need to invest in a maul though at some point.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    My electric log splitter isn't man enough for knotted logs, I do need to invest in a maul though at some point.

Do you have buttered scones for tea?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    I eat loads of fibre so I don't need help breaking my logs up.
  • pinno
    edited January 2017
    Pross wrote:

Do you go shopping on Wednesday's?
  • The company I work for are dealers for Oxdale among other things. British made agricultural equipment, an E300 will split anything up to 12" tall.

You're looking at about a grand for one of those, but that's a 'proper' log splitter, not a B&Q special that will last 1 winter and then break itself in half. haha

http://www.oxdaleproducts.co.uk/log-spl ... g-splitter
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Pinno wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I just felt a draught through my hair as something went over my head!
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I just felt a draught through my hair as something went over my head!

Maybe you should think about it when you're on the lavatory.
  • Garry H
    The company I work for are dealers for Oxdale among other things. British made agricultural equipment, an E300 will split anything up to 12" tall.

You're looking at about a grand for one of those, but that's a 'proper' log splitter, not a B&Q special that will last 1 winter and then break itself in half. haha

http://www.oxdaleproducts.co.uk/log-spl ... g-splitter

Short of hiring a skivvy to do it for me, that would be the ideal solution.