Cannondale SuperSix 2012 rebuild

TheSmithers
TheSmithers Posts: 291
edited March 2017 in Your road bikes
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since posting on here after a 2 year absence from cycling for various personal reasons, but I'm back and raring to go! To this end, I have undertaken a rebuild of my old SuperSix, which has been sat in the wardrobe for the last two years as just a frame and forks! I originally bought it with 105, but I decided to bring it bang up to date with the latest Ultegra 11 Speed group and a Cannondale Hollowgram SI crankset.

It has taken a couple of weeks of ordering all the parts, waiting for the parts, assembling what I can in order to get to this point. I still have cabling, bar tape wrapping and tuning still to do.

Full Spec
Frameset - Cannondale 2012 SuperSix (non-Evo)
Groupset - Ultegra 6800 11-Speed (11-28 cassette)
Crankset - Cannondale Hollowgram SI (34/50)
Pedals - Ultegra 6800 Carbon
Seatpost - Standard Cannondale OEM item
Saddle - Specialized Toupe Pro carbon
Stem & Bars - Standard Cannondale OEM items
Headset - Standard Cannondale OEM headset but with ceramic bearings
Bottom bracket - BB30 ceramic bearings
Wheels - Gigantex 50mm carbon tubulars handbuilt by Wheelsmith
Hubs - Chris King R45 Ceramic
Spokes - Sapim CX-Ray black
Tyres - Vittoria Open Pave tubular tyres

When complete (hopefully tomorrow :D), I will post a proper pic observing all the OCD rules! :lol: For now however, here are various pics during the build. I hope you like it.

IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Nice, it looks like its gonna go like the clappers!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:

Ditto
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    drlodge wrote:

I reckon no matter how hard it gets pedalled it won't move.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Omitting the chain to save weight is a bit extreme :)
  • Nice work, those tyres are the slowest thing known to man though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Nice work, those tyres are the slowest thing known to man though

Granted they're not the lightest. But they are so comfy! I'm going to get some lightweight tubs for the summer.
  • I run pave clinchers on my race bike while using training wheels and they are perfectly fine and they tubs will only be better. Excellent balance between durability and performance!

Supersix looks excellent!
  • I run pave clinchers on my race bike while using training wheels and they are perfectly fine and they tubs will only be better. Excellent balance between durability and performance!

Supersix looks excellent!

Cheers mate! :D

My first experience of the paves was a pair of clinchers too, for my Allez. I knew I just had to have a pair of tub versions for the Dale. They're fantastic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sweeet - we like a nice 'Dale we do.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Sweeet - we like a nice 'Dale we do.

Thank you! :)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    That is one nice looking bike!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • What was the reasoning behind retaining the stock 'dale finishing kit?

I know the bar/stem/pin are fairly light but they're quite uninspiring and bland compared to the bold styling of the frame ...

I have the white/black version of that bike and swapped to FSA stuff with a bit more decal and chunkier shape just to balance out the beefy look of the frame ... I also went with a white/black saddle and white tape to try and make it look a bit less 'out of the box/shop' ...

Your chainring is the business tho ...

ps. Not knocking your choices, just interested to know if there is thought behind sticking with/choosing what you have ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • That's ok mate, perfectly valid question.

No other reason really other than I had a limited budget, I already had them and they were perfectly good to use. I really wanted that crank, which isn't cheap, and the Ultegra group.

But I agree with you the standard finishing kit isn't exactly inspiring and I will focus on that next when I have a bit to spend.

I personally like the black stealth look and purposely went for black bar tape. I had white bar tape once before. It's nice when first applied but very quickly ends up looking manky. Never again. The saddle I had no real say in the matter. They only come in black and I've always got on with Spesh saddles. :)
  • That is one nice looking bike!

Like :)
  • Very nice bike you have there
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have you actually ridden the bike yet, or still staring at it?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Really, really tidy. Clubmate has an original SuperSix in that colour scheme, it just looks so bloody purposeful and muscular with the big tubes, makes my Evo look weedy by comparison. Ride the wheels off her!