Which bearings do I need - Giant Tracker sport disc cassette, 32H

Beansontoast
Beansontoast Posts: 75
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Radars,

I need to replace the bearings on my Giant Trance 2 Hubs (2015).

Looking at the specs, they show as "Giant Tracker sport disc cassette, 32H".

Does anyone know how I replace the bearings within these hubs (front and rear)?

Ideally I would need to know -

Bearings required
How do I replace
Tools required.

I have so far not found much in the way of a useful guide, or the specific part type\ reference for the bearing.

I also contacted Giant directly who said "take it your local LBS" ....

Advice appreciated once again ....

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well a simple look will tell you if you have cone spanner flats (so it's cup and come with loose balls) or not (cartridge bearing), as it's a Trance I'd expect cartridge.

If it's loose ball, remove them and take one to the LBS and buy some more, or often just a clean and rebuild with fresh grease will sort it.

If it's cartridge, remove them, check the number on them, confirm with measurements, go buy some more.

Giant probably can't tel, you readily as that label is applied to whatever generic hubs they are buying in that year (or maybe even that month) so could be Joytech, formula, Quando etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Well a simple look will tell you if you have cone spanner flats (so it's cup and come with loose balls) or not (cartridge bearing), as it's a Trance I'd expect cartridge.

If it's loose ball, remove them and take one to the LBS and buy some more, or often just a clean and rebuild with fresh grease will sort it.

Thanks Rookie.

Had a quick look.

Unscrewed the cap, removed washer. Ok - Looks like I can see bearings -

4t13q0.jpg

And from what I've seen, these are the bearings held inside the cartridge.
    I will look at stripping down and re-greasing.

As I don't see any markings or part numbers anywhere (I have checked both sides) I may well take this to the LBS for advice.

Thanks again .....
  • The Rookie
    Looks like an unsealed cartridge bearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You just have to measure the outer diameter, the inner diameter and the depth, that will give you all you need, then it's just a matter of sealed, open and quality, which you will find on the net.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Looks like an unsealed cartridge bearing.

Yeah - on closer inspection they weren't loose bearings, but some kind of some kind of bearing mould.
  • robertpb wrote:
    You just have to measure the outer diameter, the inner diameter and the depth, that will give you all you need, then it's just a matter of sealed, open and quality, which you will find on the net.

OK - think I'm getting closer.

So a good chance it will be something like one of these (once I'm able to find the part number or precise measurements) ??

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Cyclin ... index.html

Also - and this is obviously a noob question, but there are two cartridges per hub is that correct, one per drive and non-drive side?
  • The Rookie
    There will be two, yes, one each side, on a front wheel they will almost certainly be the same arch side (not always the case at the rear).
  • OK - finally making some progress I think.

I found a serial number on a different part of the hub. Must have missed it first time, or as the missus said "just a man-look".

Anyhow, I searched for that which had one hit of any use, and took me to a Norwegian website -

https://webshop.sykkel.no/produkter/hju ... 0000007226

That picture shows another serial number - "1288 - SB66804 - 501".

So searching on "1288 - SB66804 - 501" has finally revealed a couple of bearings that look right.
    I just now need to work out if its the 15 mil or 20 mil diameter.

And all this is just to try and source the part! It's no wonder people just hand their bike over to the LBS regardless.

Anyhow - thanks to those that have chipped in so far. At least if I do end up at the LBS I'll know if I'm being ripped off or not ....
  • The Rookie
    A 12" rule will tell you if it's 15 or 20mm ID!