Recording rides on a phone in places with limited connectivity

robbobkirk
robbobkirk Posts: 26
edited February 2017 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm booked on a 2 week bike trip around Cuba in March. We've been told not to have GPS computers on our bikes as they might get confiscated. I use Strava and obviously want to record my rides but it's quite possible we won't have WiFi for a few days. Strangely we can use a phone with GPS on though (in back pocket)

I believe Strava will only allow one outstanding ride to be uploaded at any time. Are there any decent apps that can record more than one ride between connectivity and then later allow upload to Strava?

Rob

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I used to use cyclemeter to record rides.
  • Won't give you much on the fly info, but try trekbuddy. Really small, but will record tracks.
    https://www.trekbuddy.net/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page

And if you plan in advance, you can create offline maps to use whilst your there using Mobile Atlas Creator. http://mobac.sourceforge.net/
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Will you have mobile data coverage? If so, you could use that.

Do any other apps hold offline workouts? For example I record my rides on the Wahoo Fitness app (because it talks nicely to my REFLKT) - then at the end of the ride I sync it with Strava. Not sure if the Wahoo app will hold more than one offline workout, but this approach (with other apps too) might be worth a look.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • frisbee wrote:
    I used to use cyclemeter to record rides.

Thanks. I can see it says upload to Strava but does it save the ride on your phone so that I could have several rides waiting on the phone ready for upload later?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Couldn't you just carry the Garmin (or whatever device) in a pocket?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner