Shock upgrade for Stumpy 650b, volume kit on stock or upgrade?

sprinter2012
sprinter2012 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
After fitting a 160mm Pike to my 2015 650b Stumpy, I'm really liking the bottomless token system allowing me to run lower pressure but with increased ramp up.

I'd really like to do something similar on the rear, as it feels super soggy in comparison now.

Is this volume tuning kit from TF Tuned compatible with the stock Fox Float CTD Evolution with AutoSag that comes on the 2015 Stumpy 650b? http://www.tftuned.com/air-spring-volum ... haft/p2952

And even if it is, is it worth spending £39 on the volume kit, or just put that towards a better shock?

Rockshox Monarch Debonair RT3 is looking like very good value at the moment?
Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Fox CTD isn't a good shock, volume spacers are just an attempt at sprinkling glitter on a turd.
    The Monarch Debonair is OK, I've had a couple. They're nothing special. If you an stretch the budget to a Cane Creek DB Inline, air or coil (preferably coil) either will transform the rear end of your bike. They're on a whole different level of performance to the Monarch Debonair.
  • The Fox CTD isn't a good shock, volume spacers are just an attempt at sprinkling glitter on a turd.
    The Monarch Debonair is OK, I've had a couple. They're nothing special. If you an stretch the budget to a Cane Creek DB Inline, air or coil (preferably coil) either will transform the rear end of your bike. They're on a whole different level of performance to the Monarch Debonair.

I've had a few people recommend the Cane Creek DB Inline shocks. Difficult to justify £450 including a yoke for my frame, when I can get the Monarch for £200 with the yoke.

Is the DB Inline really twice as good for twice the money?
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    More than twice as good. I wouldn't use any other air shock.