Gear changing

jimmypie
jimmypie Posts: 7
edited January 2017 in MTB beginners
I'm asking something which will be second nature to most of you here.

Picked up my new mtb a couple of weeks ago, rode away from the store and within 2 mins the chain had come off. I took it back and he says I must have tried to change gears on the left while in the wrong gear on the right.

Since I've used the gears on the right no problem but I'm confused as to when I'm ok to change on the left. The guy said I can knacker the bike or snap the chain so I'm now obviously cautious about using it.

Thanks

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well the wisdom is that you should not stress the chain by using the big at the front with the big at the back and if you look at the chain and work out how the grears and angles of the chain work then you will get a better understanding of the concept. That said - any combination should work without dropping the chain and I've only once come across problems with a hybrid (sorry AN hybrid) where the two front chainrings had a huge (AN huge?) difference in numbers of teeth.

Changing gear when you are straining the bike uphill can encourage so called chain suck which is relatively self descriptive.

I don't think the mendicant was right to take profit from you then to despise you in the way she did. You will not destroy the bike, you may accelerate wear but have no fear - these things are very robust as you will find out when you fall off and it lands on your head. If there really is an adjustment problem then it will manifest itself by:

grinding noise
    not being able to access the smallest or largest ring on the cassette (back gears)
    Having to use excessive force on the levers to change
    Someone attacking you with an ignited flamethrower
    gears skipping around (this is very annoying) when you are cycling at constant speed
    Getting married before you are 63 years old.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    How many chainrings do you have, jimmy pie?

If 2 then you should be able to use any combination of gears.
    If 3, then it is not advisable to use small-small or large-large as this puts the chain at a steep angle and can cause problems.

However, the chain should not come off if everything is indexed and adjusted properly. Tell the bike shop monkey there is a problem and you would like him to check the adjustments on the mechs.

What bike is it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    How many chainrings do you have, jimmy pie?

If 2 then you should be able to use any combination of gears.
    If 3, then it is not advisable to use small-small or large-large as this puts the chain at a steep angle and can cause problems.

However, the chain should not come off if everything is indexed and adjusted properly. Tell the bike shop monkey there is a problem and you would like him to check the adjustments on the mechs.

What bike is it?
    2 chainrings it's a voodoo bizango so Halfords. Maybe they were fobbing me off. Told me he wouldn't charge me for sorting the chain out cheeky fker
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Yep, you were fobbed off.
    If everything is set up correctly you should have a problem. The Bizango is an excellent bike but unfortunately Halfords have a some pretty poor staff who set the bikes up. Some are excellent, but you have been unlucky and experienced one of the less-able 'technicians'.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Yep, you were fobbed off.
    If everything is set up correctly you should have a problem. The Bizango is an excellent bike but unfortunately Halfords have a some pretty poor staff who set the bikes up. Some are excellent, but you have been unlucky and experienced one of the less-able 'technicians'.
    Thanks for our advice I'll get out and give it a go then!
  • The main point of a 2x should be to have a gear for the hard climbs. You shouldn't have a problem using all of the available combinations. Hell, some people use the extreme combinations on 3x setups and don't have chain drops.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The main point of a 2x should be to have a gear for the hard climbs. You shouldn't have a problem using all of the available combinations. Hell, some people use the extreme combinations on 3x setups and don't have chain drops.

Those would include LimitlessGarry. :D
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • And Garry Unlimited can use the dork disk as a sprocket.

Nah, I have 1x setup, but when going on trips with people who aren't very... is bike savvy a term? Well I often see them using large-large combo and I usually spend a few minutes trying to come up with a polite way of telling them they suck and should use the middle chainring.
  • jimmypie wrote:
    I'm asking something which will be second nature to most of you here.

Picked up my new mtb a couple of weeks ago, rode away from the store and within 2 mins the chain had come off. I took it back and he says I must have tried to change gears on the left while in the wrong gear on the right.

Since I've used the gears on the right no problem but I'm confused as to when I'm ok to change on the left. The guy said I can knacker the bike or snap the chain so I'm now obviously cautious about using it.

Thanks

The "2" in the 2x10 setup is at its simplest, one for climbing, and one for everything else. If you remember that, then there shouldn't be a problem.