BTWIN Triban 540

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I've posted a few times recently about an old SKS Cycles bike that I have (been asking for advice about upgrades). I'm wondering whether it might be better to use the SKS bike for turbo training and buy another bike for winter use (already have carbon bike for good weather) and my main priority is to get a bike that is really easy to ride; one that I can easily spend 3 hours plus on in comfort.

I only want to spend about £600 - 700 and the Triban 540 gets some good reviews - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-r ... 5_ii__vi__

If anyone on here has one of these bikes it would be great to hear your views.

Also, by way of comparison the Boardman Road Comp bike is for sale with Halfords for about £630. The groupset or wheels are not as good but it does have disc brakes. I suppose disc brakes will be good for a winter bike but would I be better to get disc brakes rather than a better groupset or wheels?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Richard. I know this won't help but it might.
    I am new to road cycling (2016) and after much reviewing and searching I settled for the B'Twin Triban 500se. I absolutely love it and pleased I didn't spend any more money on my first road bike. I have done a handful of sportives including my first 100!
    I'm looking forward to getting on it this year although I am going to upgrade the wheels maybe as they are cheap.
    When I say it won't help but might..... the point I'm making is that I'm very happy with the B'Twin down from the one you are looking at and the build quality is excellent. I would certainly consider another B'Twin in a year or two when I want to upgrade.
    All the best.
  • Yeah I'm happy with it. Nothing else to compare it to as I'm new but I do ride with two women, one rides a carbon fibre felt and one has a Fuji. They have both had a go on mine and say for the money, it's impressive.
  • Yes you're absolutely right. I do get people on these sportives looking down their noses a little at me on my £300 ride. I'm in decent nick though and after 30 or so miles their faces are a picture as I start picking some off that are on far superior machines haha.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, somewhat reassuringly, cycling is one of those sports where the amount of spending power has very little real difference on performance although it offers a lot of options for using the spending power one has :-)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This just won a shoot out in this month's Cycling + for bikes under £600

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... oCZUHw_wcB

Might be worth adding to your wish list
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    Theres 25% off at mango at the moment which brings their 105 in the same ball park as the triban https://www.mangobikes.com/bikes/point-r/ but your getting better wheels on the triban. I had that allez and whilst the frame is great I felt a bit ripped off (I paid 480) wheels lasted about 4 months, headset knackered < 5 months. A pain only made worse by the dreadful customer service of the lbs, but anyway I'd get the triban.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Richard36: I had the 540SE and took it to a Mallorca bike camp when I'd done not quite a years 'proper cycling.' Surrounded by a sea of lycra and carbon bikes was pretty intimidating, but I held my own throughout. The surprising comment was one of the tour leaders, who casually remarked 'Nothing wrong with that bike.' Just one thing I changed, the Hutchison tyres - pretty rubbish and easily swapped to GP 4000 II's.
    Oh, and the past tense is cos I got offered a fantastic upgrade at a silly price, but now wishing I'd kept the 540 as a winter bike