Bianchi Ethanol 2015 a good buy?

Trolloween
Trolloween Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I have checked reviews for the Bianchi Ethanol and they are generally very good, stating the frame is great but perhaps some of the parts could be upgraded over time but nothing that really sings its praises. However these reviews would have been on the basis of it being a £2,100+ bike not the £1,000 it is now. So my question is that for a grand is this a good buy (new but a 2015 model) or is there something newer for the £1k and under mark which supersedes it due to advances in technology I am very likely ignorant of?

For reference a good majority of my riding will be on paths commuting to and from work whilst the fun bits will be forest trails and soon to be the hills of Wales so a general all-rounder is what I am after.

Another quick question is does anyone have any opinion or experience of Rock Shox Reba RL 27,5" Solo Air 120mm vs Fox 32 Float 27,5" CTD Evolution, 120mm forks? There is a £200 difference in model price but the higher spec 27.1 isn't available in my size and I would rather save the £200 anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's rather old fashioned geometry, very much XC racer, it will be great for flat out blasts and climbing, but steeper technical downhill won't be its natural domain.

The spec looks pretty atrocious at the original price but a Reba for £1k isn't bad, personally I'd take the Reba over the Fox Evo which didn't have the greatest damper, the RL is at the bottom of the Rockshox damper it is at least easy to upgrade compression if you look around.

The 27.1 comes with an XC30 though as far as I can see? Pretty poor even at £1K.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    It's rather old fashioned geometry, very much XC racer, it will be great for flat out blasts and climbing, but steeper technical downhill won't be its natural domain.

The spec looks pretty atrocious at the original price but a Reba for £1k isn't bad, personally I'd take the Reba over the Fox Evo which didn't have the greatest damper, the RL is at the bottom of the Rockshox damper it is at least easy to upgrade compression if you look around.

The 27.1 comes with an XC30 though as far as I can see? Pretty poor even at £1K.

Thanks that's helpful. If the frame is good and the parts aren't over priced I am happy to see how it goes and upgrade if I am ever at a standard that justifies it. I am trying to be realistic with my own ability as I haven't ridden much in over 8 years so what some would call a steep technical descent would possibly look like an efficient way to commit suicide to my eyes. If it was your money and you were an unfit nearly-30 year old who will mostly be trying to get fit and have a laugh uncompetitively would this be a good bet? I am close to committing but I am very out of touch with the specs and I have overwhelmed myself when researching.

Here's the bike I should probably have linked to originally:

http://www.jejamescycles.com/bianchi-et ... -2015.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photo shows a Fox, spec says Reba!

Pretty decent value for the spec at £1000, but it's no surprise they have some left from when it was £2100 as that's just madness money.

Comments on ride as above.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.