The Irony Thread

Comments

• A good joke shortened.
    A yank in Britain visits a friend , it's raining hard , yank says we will go out when it eases off , Brit replies yeah , great weather !
    Yank is obviously confused, the Brit explains irony. The yank sees the funny side and decides to use that irony stuff at the first opportunity when returning home.
    He gets off the flight and grabs a cab home , where he and the cab driver see a petrol tanker stopped having run out of fuel , the tanker driver trudging up the road with a little fill up tank in his hand .
    The cabbie says well look at that, the yank quickly replies , yeah , great weather.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    In America

Irony = Metallic
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Phone call last night, "my name be Jahib calling you from telephone call nuciance service..."
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I've managed to strain a muscle in my shoulder / back while changing into shorts for a physio appointment!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    This really pi$$es me off.

SSE (maybe not in England) are advertising and the theme is an Orang-utan and in another ad, an Orang-Utan with a baby.
    A power company.
    In Indonesia, they are destroying rain forest to grow Palm oil. For oil. For power and in the process, demolishing the last remaining habitat of the Orang-Utan. Now, SSE might have nothing to do with the Palm oil companies but the link is far too blatant.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Pinno wrote:

SSE (maybe not in England) are advertising and the theme is an Orang-utan and in another ad, an Orang-Utan with a baby.
    A power company.
    In Indonesia, they are destroying rain forest to grow Palm oil. For oil. For power and in the process, demolishing the last remaining habitat of the Orang-Utan. Now, SSE might have nothing to do with the Palm oil companies but the link is far too blatant.
    Not sure if you watched Twenty Twelve when it was on, but I suspect the depiction of the agency that came up with "Jubilympics" was only very very slightly enhanced for comic effect.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I have read a lot of moans lately about cyclists not having lights on the bike and reflective clothing. To be fair, there are a lot of plonkers around here with no lights and dark clothing.

However, when I got out at night, I wear proper reflective clothing, have three lights on the front of the bike (one on full, one on flash, one as backup), have a tube rear light on full, a rear light in my jacket on flash, and spares on my helmet and the seat stay.

What happens? I still get idiots who can't see me (someone nearly drove across me at a junction) and even had a van full beam me the other day because he didn't like my lights. It looks like being lit up like a Christmas tree still doesn't help in some cases, despite some motorists moaning about cyclists and lack of lights.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    benws1 wrote:
    I have read a lot of moans lately about cyclists not having lights on the bike and reflective clothing. To be fair, there are a lot of plonkers around here with no lights and dark clothing.

However, when I got out at night, I wear proper reflective clothing, have three lights on the front of the bike (one on full, one on flash, one as backup), have a tube rear light on full, a rear light in my jacket on flash, and spares on my helmet and the seat stay.

What happens? I still get idiots who can't see me (someone nearly drove across me at a junction) and even had a van full beam me the other day because he didn't like my lights. It looks like being lit up like a Christmas tree still doesn't help in some cases, despite some motorists moaning about cyclists and lack of lights.
    You are Alanis Morissette and I claim my £5. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Pinno wrote:

A power company.

It makes me cringe just because I know what they are like to work with. A baby orangutan isn't going to make me like them...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited January 2017
    99.9% of Strava kom titles.

"I can travel 300 metres downhill faster than anyone else. I'm so proud! Someone give me Kudos. I'm King of the Mountain"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Email / Skype / Sharepoint has been erratic and flaky for several days. How do they communicate with the affected users? Yep, by email... :D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    HaydenM wrote:
    A baby orangutan isn't going to make me like them...

That scuppers any chance of trump encouraging anyone to like america!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    Pete Waterman talking about Abba.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    f1847b57458a7c8306cdb9bff3faacfe.jpg
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Just seen Ed Balls on ten o clock news.
    He was moaning that if they get elected......
    I don't think he'll lose too much sleep over it, he knows they won't get elected until most of the people who remember last Labour debacle have died. Ironically, the Tory NHS plans will help to kill them off quite quickly.

Voters need to realise that those two parties are just different faces of the same $h1t mountain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There was a marvellous spam post on here offering an essay writing service. It was written in flamboyantly bad English, possibly by a bot, or by Trump's Twitter writer.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Labour supporters whining about Theresa May signalling the end of democracy and ushering in a one party state for holding an election. Now there's lots I dislike about Theresa and the Tories but please, after a decade of Blair and "Bad Al" Campbell followed by the disastrous coronation of Brown, it ill behoves Labour voters to make this charge against her. Also, it's not her fault that Corbyn's Labour are sh1t and have no chance of winning the election.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Eurovision UK song "Never Give Up On You"
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

The older I get, the better I was.

• scott5
    scott5 Posts: 83
  • pinno
    scott5 wrote:

Good. Pity the elephant died in the process.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I got a puncture this morning. Removed thorn from tyre.

Later in the day, splinter. Same thorn.

Is that irony?
  • pinno
    It's a bugger when you slice your finger in the process of finding the offending article.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Ballysmate wrote:
    If there are still people who think the UN Is a worthwhile organisation, this should finally convince them otherwise. Congo on Human Rights and now this?

The sooner this bloke is a fly-blown corpse the better the world will be.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    This should cheer up all of you affected by rail strikes.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpo ... 85096.html
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Is that irony?
    No, it's woody.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Is that irony?
    No, it's woody.
    A small part of me just died.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Is that irony?
    No, it's woody.
    A small part of me just died.
    And I'm only six months late.