Tacx Blue Matic T2650 Smart Turbo Trainer any goodm???

ellis2012
ellis2012 Posts: 29
Just wondering if this is worth getting as my first turbo trainer?
They are selling them at halfords for £99
With bluetooth and ant+ thing?

Thanks all

Comments

• Looks like a good deal especially if you get the BC discount so it would be £90. The main difference is although it will report your speed and power it won't automatically adjust your resistance like the Tacx Flow (£200) would. Meaning you don't get the gradient simulated on the likes of Zwift and you don't get held in power zones on the likes of Trainer Road.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I was actually looking at this today, but wasn't sure if the cd was included or not and what you'd even need it for and then theres the additional videos to buy. Also don't think its fully compatible with zwift.

Then again for £90 theres not many half decent ones cheaper. However i have just bought a gailbeir jacket so might need to wait till next month.
  • mac9091 wrote:
    I was actually looking at this today, but wasn't sure if the cd was included or not and what you'd even need it for and then theres the additional videos to buy. Also don't think its fully compatible with zwift.

Then again for £90 theres not many half decent ones cheaper. However i have just bought a gailbeir jacket so might need to wait till next month.

What CD and what video? It doesn't adjust gradient with Zwift but it does report power to it wirelessly.
  • mac9091
    There was something about connecting the trainer to your computer thus being able to do a bit more with it.

Videos are just the general ones it seems. (Although i was hoping that they would come with a HUD showing what gear and cadence you should be at)

https://www.tacx.com/en/products/films
  • The videos show your current speed, cadence, power, distance, time etc
  • Update! Halfords are selling them through ebay for £86.89.
    Thanks for all your info, i am sure i will be back for more.
    Ordered one and can pick up from local store.
    Result
  • mac9091
    The videos show your current speed, cadence, power, distance, time etc

Do they tie in with the video? as in videos have a wattage shown and then you can match your pace/cadence/power to that to make it "realistic"
  • mac9091 wrote:

Do they tie in with the video? as in videos have a wattage shown and then you can match your pace/cadence/power to that to make it "realistic"

They speed up and slow down to match your pace
  • pe1ter
    pe1ter Posts: 169
    tacx flow £199.99 halfords i was the same as you wanted a smart trainer to do virtual turbo sessions on, i even bought the tacx satori smart with manual resistance lever ended up taking it back from good advice of this forum and bought a tacx flow so glad i did
  • pe1ter wrote:
    tacx flow £199.99 halfords i was the same as you wanted a smart trainer to do virtual turbo sessions on, i even bought the tacx satori smart with manual resistance lever ended up taking it back from good advice of this forum and bought a tacx flow so glad i did

The new Blue Matic looks like the replacement for the Satori, it does all the same things.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 wrote:

They speed up and slow down to match your pace

Good buy for £90 then.
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    I've just picked mine up today, ok I'm no fantastic rider but as my cycling buddy said our rides will be limited now to weather and light as we both work nights I bought it to sit watching tv on and still train through winter. I'm impressed with what I got tbh, I was after the garmin speed sensor but got a full speed and cadence sensor with the deal online this alone goes from 40 quid so thinking 60 for the trainer deffo not bad will let you no how I get on but enjoying new data to look at
  • The trainer will report speed without the additional sensor won't it?
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    Update done 40 miles on it now, I grab 30 mins when I can since Wednesday so iv done 2hrs total say, the trainer will not give you and speed or cadence data unless you fit the sensors which come with it to your bike 1st, you can then either down load the app or use a Bluetooth computer mines linked to my edge 25. On that I can either use the gps mode for a mad picture on strava or indoor mode! No picture but full data fields i.e. Speed cadence distance etc, for it to work with zwift or such like you need an ant + usb unless on iPad but you will need to adjust resistance yourself as there's no other way on it, BUT for the money I really like it yeah it's a little noisy but with tunes on head bopping away I enjoy it as much as your going to
  • mac9091
    So i caved and picked on up yesterday. Will add to the zwift perspective rather than the unit in general.

Once Zwift was downloaded i came to the realisation that in order to use the speed and cadence sensors without an Ant+ module i needed to download the Zwift app to my android phone. Once that was done, power up Zwift on the laptop and phone, both need to be connected to the same broadband connection.

I managed to get the Tacx sensors mounted with my current ones and had both running at the same time, Initial use only to confirm readings were consistent. No issues there. The estimated power on the other hand or its reporting is miles off (or so i beleive) The only thing i can go by is my previous use of a Wattbike and my FTP of 185w but i felt i'd be easily able to hold 200w (displayed reading) for longer than the 20 threashold test requires.

Obviously i've not read into the detailed use of the mag setting and how to use it on a gradient so i may be missing something. New toy just wanted to whip it out and start playing with it :)

Will probably try it standalone and with training peaks at some point.

Oh forgot to say that i can't seem to pair my panobike HRM (bluetooth) with Zwift.
  • I'm not sure how the Blue Matic works but with other Tacx trainers there is a spin down test that you do with your smartphone and the Tacx utility app, that is meant to calibrate your power numbers.
  • mac9091
    I'm not sure how the Blue Matic works but with other Tacx trainers there is a spin down test that you do with your smartphone and the Tacx utility app, that is meant to calibrate your power numbers.

Tried the apps tonight, but they don't work with this trainer.
  • mac9091 wrote:
    So i caved and picked on up yesterday. Will add to the zwift perspective rather than the unit in general.

Once Zwift was downloaded i came to the realisation that in order to use the speed and cadence sensors without an Ant+ module i needed to download the Zwift app to my android phone. Once that was done, power up Zwift on the laptop and phone, both need to be connected to the same broadband connection.

I managed to get the Tacx sensors mounted with my current ones and had both running at the same time, Initial use only to confirm readings were consistent. No issues there. The estimated power on the other hand or its reporting is miles off (or so i beleive) The only thing i can go by is my previous use of a Wattbike and my FTP of 185w but i felt i'd be easily able to hold 200w (displayed reading) for longer than the 20 threashold test requires.

Obviously i've not read into the detailed use of the mag setting and how to use it on a gradient so i may be missing something. New toy just wanted to whip it out and start playing with it :)

Will probably try it standalone and with training peaks at some point.

Oh forgot to say that i can't seem to pair my panobike HRM (bluetooth) with Zwift.

Just following this up, I bought one recently and can also report that the virtual power given by the Tacx app on my IPad is absolutely miles out. My FTP is around 230W, on the Tacx app I can just hold that for a minute! :evil:
  • To be fair the trainer itself is not bad and you get a speed/cadence sensor too.
  • I terms of power measurement. Well even the cheapest power meter is what, £300-400? The blue matic is £99 and you get a trainer for that too, you get what you pay for really.
  • I have just purchased the blue matic smart turbo trainer - it comes with the Bluetooth sensor unit. Do I have to run the Tacx training app to pair it with my phone/ipad ? I assumed that when I switched Bluetooth on on my iPhone (5 SE) it would find the tacx device but it doesn't. Also does anyone know if I can pair it with Strava - and if so how I do it please.
  • tobes99 wrote:
    I have just purchased the blue matic smart turbo trainer - it comes with the Bluetooth sensor unit. Do I have to run the Tacx training app to pair it with my phone/ipad ? I assumed that when I switched Bluetooth on on my iPhone (5 SE) it would find the tacx device but it doesn't. Also does anyone know if I can pair it with Strava - and if so how I do it please.

It won't turn up if you search for bluetooth devices, that's for the likes of bluetooth headsets etc. You need to use an app which connects to the triner, like the Tacx app. But there's also Zwift etc. Not sure if it will pair with Strava directly I don't think it will.
  • tonyA
    tonyA Posts: 1
    I have just got this and I only get the rpm and time reading. Any info on how to set it up as the manual is very basic. It's my first bike and trainer.