Once Ridden scam?

michael1980
michael1980 Posts: 14
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had any issues selling a bike via the just Ridden website? Iv been talking with someone who says they want my bike, thing is when iv advertised it on forums like this people ask alot of questions about the bike... This lady on once Ridden hasn't asked a single question about the bike and only wants to pay via pay pal... Arranging her own courier to collect from my home... Iv heard about people being scamed out of the bike and they then request the money back from PayPal leaving the seller with no bike or money? Am I just being paranoid or should I be wary of this website?

Comments

• benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    don't do it, i know of a lot of people who have done exactly the same (for a motocross bikes)...... had a courier collect, 1 week later paypal/bank reverse the transaction, your left with no idea where the bike has gone and no funds.

stay well clear
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I had an email from them yesterday advising that they were aware of suspicious activity on their site. I advertised a bike with them about 6-7 years ago, and this is the first time since then I have ever had any contact. No idea if the email was genuine or not.

Paypal/courier collection scams are quite common. I would ignore it.
  • Thanks for the info guy's, iv said if she's serious about buying the bike to pay 60% into my bank and the remaining to PayPal and that I'd arrange for the courier to deliver to her home address. No response to that email so I think she/he was trying to stich me up!
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Thanks for the info guy's, iv said if she's serious about buying the bike to pay 60% into my bank and the remaining to PayPal and that I'd arrange for the courier to deliver to her home address. No response to that email so I think she/he was trying to stich me up!

still be careful, bank transfers can be reversed for so many weeks after the transaction along with bankers drafts.

the old MX forums i used to use were awash with people who had been scammed with the above methods - even someone who had a bike paid for by card (using a family members machine in their shop) and then the money being taken back due to it being a stolen credit card, long after the bike had been collected and disappeared. :shock: :evil:
  • Here in the US this is common also.

I refuse any payment for things like this except cash in hand. No checks, no cashiers checks. I sold a car for $4000 and had the guy count out all the $20 bills.

I would do the same for a bike.

If the "courrier" arrives with cash, so be it. Otherwise, no sale.

Cash only is a very reasonable request for purchases under $5000. Otherwise if over, I request the person meet me at a bank and sign over a certified check.
  • Nigerian_Not_Butter.jpg
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you ever tried getting hold of £5k in cash? We did that when our son was buying his last car. The bank I've been with for 40 years suddenly seemed to think I was laundering the proceeds of organised crime :shock:
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    As above, potential scam and don't go anywhere near.

Paypal and certain bank transactions can be reversed. Cash in hand is the only thing I trust as payment for things of this value.

I sold my car last year for just shy of £2k. Chap wanted to pay by bank transfer etc. I suggested cash in hand. He turned up, we went into town, went into his bank, he drew the money out, we walked to my bank and cashed it in. The keys were his after that. :)