2015 CAADX: BB30 or shimano

shredical1
shredical1 Posts: 23
edited January 2018 in Road general
HI,

I've been riding my 2015 CAADX rival22 disc bike for the last two cyclocross season here in the Pacific NW.

Instead of buying a new bike, figured i'd spend the money to get a proper bike fit and get about training over the winter in a more optimum riding position on my existing bike and build endurance and power.

The fit called for a crank with 165mm arms. Current is stock which is 172.5 I believe on the FSA Gossamer.

I am a heavier rider at 220lbs. Not sure if there are specific BB that works better for a stocky heavy build versus the 150lb rider.

Now, since i haven't done a service on the BB since buying the bike. I have about 15 cyclocross races and a few hundred miles on the bike, figured, with the bike fit calling for a different crank length, i might look into what options i have while i do the winter tune up.

Now i've done some research to know that for BB30 to shimano 24mm i've got the following options:

Prais BB30 adapter
Rotor BB30 adapter
BBInfinite BB30 adapter
Chris King BB30 adapter

The questions i have are:

1> BB30 comes in 42 and 68mm shells. How can I tell which one is on my 2015 CAADX?

2> Should I convert to shimano (ultegra crankset 170$ + 80$ adapter + 20$ labor = 270$ ) or stay BB30 and get a SRAM BB30 Force 22 50/34T with 165mm crank length (270$)?

2>Has anyone done a BB30 to Shimano conversion on a 2015 CAADX? Which adapter worked for you?

I've come across one review for a 2016 CAADX that mentions the following "The Caadx 2016 has a machined ridge in addition to the circlips within the bottom bracket shell which prevents using the Praxis Works or FSA BB30 converters." The Rotor adapter worked for this person.

3> Will I need to change my front derailleur from SRAM rival22 to shimano if I changed to a shimano crankset and would that work with the RIval shifters?

Appreciate any feedback or advice to help find my way here.

Am a novice when it comes to bike tech.

Thanks,

Shredical1

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I ended up using a Praxis adapter, after bending a press in sleeve type adapter.
    This is what happened to the press in sleeve

Here: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13062455&hilit=caadx
    IMG_20160204_121745_zpsbqc77v0b.jpg

The reason being, there was a thicker band of metal not machined out, that stopped it being pressed all the way through. I had to have the sleeve pressed out at work, and the guys there machined the "band" to match the rest of the BB shell. The Praxis went straight in, 2500 trouble free miles so far
    Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13053836&hilit=caadx

Pic from the other side of the BB showing the sleeve hard up against the band, it's the black bit, the sleeve is the threaded bit

IMG_20160204_124308_zpsvahipykq.jpg
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I went for Shimano and a wheelsmfg.com thingumybob which went into my CAADX with no machining/bodging/bashing or drama. I changed mine due to noise rather than bike fit.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I should add: The Praxis (68mm by the way) might fit without removing the band from the shell as the widest parts (the bearings) are inserted from either side and don't have to pass through the narrower bit in the middle, unlike the press in sleeve
  • Thanks for the responses.
    Look slike Rotor, WHeels and Praxis are confirmed working with the CAADX frame then.

Couple other questions I had was the inter-operability between the Shimano 105 5800 crankset with the SRAM Rival/Force22 derailleurs and shifters.

Will I see any issue?

I am seeing 105 5800 in a double or compact crankset with a 50/34T, 110mm BCD, with 165mm crank arms. For some reason, the double is cheaper than the compact with the same config.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod116500
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod116491

They are one and the same I would imagine. Correct?

Cheers!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No issue with using the 105 chainset and SRAM shifters/mechs
  • Perfect.

placed the order. Will update once i've got the parts and have it installed!

Thanks for the help! :)
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    shredical1 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses.
    Look slike Rotor, WHeels and Praxis are confirmed working with the CAADX frame then.

Couple other questions I had was the inter-operability between the Shimano 105 5800 crankset with the SRAM Rival/Force22 derailleurs and shifters.

Will I see any issue?

I am seeing 105 5800 in a double or compact crankset with a 50/34T, 110mm BCD, with 165mm crank arms. For some reason, the double is cheaper than the compact with the same config.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod116500
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod116491

They are one and the same I would imagine. Correct?

Cheers!

Praxis convertor https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/ does NOT fit the 2015 CAADX frame.

You can get FSA "cups" that are a very easy (and so far problem free) convertor from BB30 to Hollowtech.

Also this works https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... oad-68-mm/ as it doesnt clash with the raised section within the BB shell.
  • Glad to report, the Rotor adapter I linked to worked perfectly with the CAADX. Have had it for about 100 miles now and for a moment I thought I heard some creaking but figured it is from the seatpost weirdly when i really start to push it when on the trainer. Need to figure out what's up with that.

Interestingly, I didn't have to change out the chain. the Original chain from the 46-36 crankset worked fine with the 50-34 crankset I got.

THe shimano crankset does seem a lot smoother in comparison to the FSA I had on.

I do notice the bottom of the frame flex from right to left as my foot rotates over the pedal stroke. Take it this is normal(?)
  • I realise I am about a year late in jumping on to this thread, but has anyone had good results using the KCNC adaptor from SJS cycles?

I'm wanting to fit a Shimano 105 crankset to my Cannondale CAAD 10. When I fit the crankset and the adaptor I find that the cranks do not rotate as feely as I would expect. I'm not sure if the problem is with the bottom bracket shell, the adaptor or a combination of the two. Has anyone had similar problems and found a way to resolve them?

Thanks.