I need a solution

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
I'm ok in the cold - I've got enough of the right gear to keep me going through the worst of the weather. Apart from one thing. When I left home this morning it was about -6 and my eyes and bridge of my nose were so cold I felt physically sick. I wear a merino beanie for my head and a Rapha snood-type thingy but I can't cover up my glasses region. The commute in was awful this morning and I may have to get the train tomorrow....... Any ideas?
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    WarrenG wrote:
    I'm ok in the cold - I've got enough of the right gear to keep me going through the worst of the weather. Apart from one thing. When I left home this morning it was about -6 and my eyes and bridge of my nose were so cold I felt physically sick. I wear a merino beanie for my head and a Rapha snood-type thingy but I can't cover up my glasses region. The commute in was awful this morning and I may have to get the train tomorrow....... Any ideas?

Monobrow-Kim--129528.jpg
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buff up over your nose and sports glasses such as the Decathlon ones.

That or a dose of MTFU!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If it's that cold then you should be able to cover up to your glasses areas with some material - I use a snood for my head down to my eyebrows and another one up and over my nose - but then I don't wear glasses so no issue with fogging.
  • Buy a snood that you don't mind putting a hole in and cut a slit where your nostrils are and that means you shouldn't fog your glasses up.

My general solution is to ride faster and the air over the lenses clears the fog. Stopping for lights is the problem.
    The Monkeys are out to get me!
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    GripGrab Balaclava.
  • warreng
    MrSweary wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

Monobrow-Kim--129528.jpg

That's not too far off the truth

Ok - so it's a merina burkha and MTFU
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    Yeah, that should help you regulate your temperature (get it?)
  • warreng
    MrB123 wrote:
    Yeah, that should help you regulate your temperature (get it?)

I'm 46. It took me about 5 years to understand that joke. I'd only just recovered from the rabbit stuff
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    Buff and either skiing googles or these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Overligh ... ty+glasses

• 21 quid for something they probably pay 21 pence to have made in India... pretty outrageous
    left the forum March 2023
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    MrSweary wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

Monobrow-Kim--129528.jpg

If Kim Jong-Un and The Lorax had a secret love child...