eBike OMG!

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited February 2017 in Commuting chat
I've been dragging my poor dog up to work and back in a trailer on my old MTB with road tyres. 13kg of bike and 20kg of dog+trailer is OK once or twice a week & doable but still quite hard work. The dog also costs quite a bit in doggy daycare for the days I don't take her so when one of the non-cyclists at work arrived with an eBike this week, it got me thinking & reaching for the voodoo economics calculator...

The equation works that using an eBike as the tow vehicle would be less wearing on my tired old body and after about 6 months I would be actually saving money on what I'm currently spending on dog care. What's best is that my partner agrees and is behind this N+1

So down to the eBike shop this afternoon and leaving the dog as security, I went out for a test ride. Totally amazing, the complete lack of effort in moving off and I was only in Econ mode. With "Turbo" mode any of the 9 gears could be used to start up. Only problem was once you got to 15mph and it was like hitting a brick wall. Any further speed was like having the dog on the back again and I normally cruise at 18mph with her on the back :( Still an absolute great ride and a hoot to boot.

Back to the shop and when I wasn't smiling explained about the brick wall, so the chap said I should try another bike pointing to one. This one was strictly for "off-road" use but in the interests of science it would have been rude not to have a go. That's the OMG, still the same rapid acceleration in any gear but this time no brick wall up to usual cruising speed and beyond. Found myself overtaking a car, then I held back at some traffic lights and destroyed some poor roadie who'd shot off - cruised past in top gear and naff all cadence :D

I daresay that I am at risk of being ostracised by the SCR community but these things are awesome. I will still have the Ghost for solo days but dammit I'll be getting an eBike as my tow commuter and I can't wait.

Comments

• vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Pufftmw wrote:
    So down to the eBike shop this afternoon and leaving the dog as security
    You've got your priorities straight.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Even to n+1, there are limits to acceptable taste and decency.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Jesus, man, get a smaller dog. This is just wrong.
  • I like e-bikes.

If you need a bit of help to use a bike to go to work or to cycle a little further and see a bit more of the world... what's exactly wrong with that?
    Normally folks who hate e-bikes are the same who put a lot of effort to improve their average speed of half a mph and see an e-bike as a way to cheat on that... who is pathetic now?
    left the forum March 2023
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    who is pathetic now?

the same people that cruise past "roadies" thinking they have "destroyed" them ... that's like be taking the Triumph out and claiming I destroyed you off the lights :mrgreen:

you didn't destroy anyone.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    964Cup wrote:
    Jesus, man, get a smaller dog. This is just wrong.

Or a bigger dog and have it tow you.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    who is pathetic now?

the same people that cruise past "roadies" thinking they have "destroyed" them ... that's like be taking the Triumph out and claiming I destroyed you off the lights :mrgreen:

you didn't destroy anyone.

It's all childish
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    makes sense
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Of course if you use the "off road" one on the road, it's a moped. For now.
  • What about a motorbike with trailer for the dog. You can destroy more roadies that way.

Seriously, good for you if it works for you. Of course do not get the unlimited one and use it on the roads. Unless it's legal that is.

I reckon by legal it'll need licence for you, insurance and possibly other documentation. Isn't there a legal differentiation between ebikes which in the UK requires limiting the speed to 15mph maximum and the electric motor only operates when the rider is pedaling too and the next class up. IIRC the next class up is unlimited and you can get them without the need to pedal, i.e. the pedals are only a back up.

I personally have no problem with the legal use (or perhaps the use of legal) ebikes and their Ilk.
  • I like eBikes. I don't have one yet - I can't justify the cost as I don't need it for a specific purpose - but I can see me getting one in the future as prices come down.

Obviously, not for Strava, SCR, etc. But it would make longer distances practical for "utility" purposes - e.g. popping over the Beacon down to Brighton to go shopping, rather than going over the Beacon just because it's there!
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • fat daddy
    I like eBikes. - I can't justify the cost as I don't need it for a specific purpose

yeah, I am in the same boat ... I kind of want one, but just have no use for it .... yes it would allow me to go further .. but I don't need to go further, or quicker .... sometimes when I am knackered and I am carrying 2 fully loaded panniers home and hit the hill I wish to god I had an e-bike, but then its such a short journey anyway and the effort I have to put in is such a good workout, that its not worth the money.

Perhaps when my kid gets older and I can start doing some long distance XC again .. the price will also be cheaper as well, I'll get one
  • I would dearly love to the older generation and others with health issues making a traditional bike unpractical, to buy and regularly use e-bikes for travelling around locally, rather than using cars (especially for journeys shorter than ~5 miles each way).

Less pollution (health benefits for us all)
    Some extra health benefits for user
    Increased cycle traffic with decreased motor traffic ought to make accident rate drop (as people are forced to become more aware of each other, while the car drivers won't be so road raged as there will be less motor congestion etc.)
    Lessens the demand on the NHS (population health benefits plus less RTAs)

Depending on cost in the future, I can definitely see myself buying one within the next ~10 years.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fat daddy wrote:
    I like eBikes. - I can't justify the cost as I don't need it for a specific purpose

yeah, I am in the same boat ... I kind of want one, but just have no use for it .... yes it would allow me to go further .. but I don't need to go further, or quicker .... sometimes when I am knackered and I am carrying 2 fully loaded panniers home and hit the hill I wish to god I had an e-bike, but then its such a short journey anyway and the effort I have to put in is such a good workout, that its not worth the money.

Perhaps when my kid gets older and I can start doing some long distance XC again .. the price will also be cheaper as well, I'll get one

I moved out of London a few years ago and only cycle-commute (the whole way) in the summer months now. It's about 45 miles each way so I cycle in one day, home the next. One the way home after a day's work, some of the last few miles are really demoralising - grinding up Turners Hill, for example. As you say, even more so with a pannier on the back loaded with laptop, etc That's when a little boost might make those last few miles a little more enjoyable.

I'm alright doing it now, but I'm not getting any younger. Maybe a 50th birthday present to myself ...
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I really want one of these for my commute

maxresdefault.jpg

Should cruise like a regular road bike, but the long 10-12mph hills will be a breeze 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    prawny wrote:
    I really want one of these for my commute

maxresdefault.jpg

Should cruise like a regular road bike, but the long 10-12mph hills will be a breeze 8)

Wouldn't like to imagine hitting a pothole on that.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • At the moment I am using spiked tyres to go to work... 25 miles a day... it's hard work and good for training and all of that, but an extra 30 Watt in the cranks would be a very welcome gift
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I think e-bikes are a great idea if people want to get about but need the extra oomph to get up hills etc. It is much more preferable to them jumping in the car or on a motor bike. Bit more environmentally friendly and all that. You can still get a work out if you dial back the power output.

I wonder if the only people who dislike them are those who have precious Strava KOMs to protect.
  • fat daddy
    prawny wrote:

would it though ... or would you end up still putting in the same effort and bolting along at 18mph ? instead

I find I ride everywhere full out anyway ... If I could just cruise about then I wouldn't have the issues that I do
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I like to chase e-bikeists when the traffic allows it. Seems reasonable to me if you're towing a dog.
  • I wonder if the only people who dislike them are those who have precious Strava KOMs to protect.

A lot of the ebikes I tend to notice are the ones that aren't road legal, that's what people don't like; essentially using unlicenced motorbikes on cycle infrastructure.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I like the idea - I do a 34 round trip 3 times a week and get PT the other 2 days. I'd dearly love to jib PT altogether. Is there a sub-£1000 version that would do that trip?
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I find the main issue with e-bikes is that the majority look something like this
    electric-bike-corporation-ucl30-step-thru-2016-electric-hybrid-bike-black-EV274440-8500-1.jpg

If I ever get one I'd rather get a cyclocross bike with decent disc brakes then bolt on a mid drive kit like a BBSHD. You can program that to be as road legal as you wish...
  • I don't have one, but e-bikes are a potentially a great way for getting around town - Boris Bikes with a bit of oomph.

Re the off-road bit, one e-bike retailer I was talking to said you could just download an app which would de-regulate it and increase the speed.

Quite a lot of large companies have branded Brompton's that their staff can use to get to meetings, but they're not used much from what I've seen - lots in racks, not a lot on the road.

I reckon branded e-bikes might become a thing. I think of them more as a low powered scooter, rather than a bike.
  • fat daddy
    not the ones I see .. the ones I see are full on mountain bikes .. giant sons of biatches, massive knobbly tires, big frames ... they make my tiny bikes look like childrens bikes when I pull up next to one
  • anthdci
    fat daddy wrote:
    not the ones I see .. the ones I see are full on mountain bikes .. giant sons of biatches, massive knobbly tires, big frames ... they make my tiny bikes look like childrens bikes when I pull up next to one

they'll most likely be custom made ones then, rather than buying from a bike shop.
  • fat daddy
    I don't think so .. trek alone make 19 bikes now

http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes ... es/c/B507/

cube have a load as well

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/elec ... kes?f=2258
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    anthdci wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

they'll most likely be custom made ones then, rather than buying from a bike shop.

Nah E-MTBs are The Next Big Thing, a lot of MTB manufacturers are really pushing them at the mo, but the prices are astronomical.

The Specialized Turbo Levo looks a hoot.

specialized-turbo-levo-fsr-comp-6fattie-electric-bike-review.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I caught and totally destroyed an ebike last year - ok, he left me on the hill - but once up and over I could keep the power on ... bit of an arse really as I wasn't intending on pushing it on that commute home :o

I've tested an e-bike - yup - great bits of kit for those that would ride if it didn't seem so difficult. As for the 15mph limit - it's a bit arbitory isn't it? Why 15 and not 16? wouldn't it be better to slowly decrease the power rather than have a brickwall as the OP put it?
    I don't mind anyone using an ebike - even if they turned up to a club ride I wouldn't worry - so long as they were truthful about using it - I've heard one guy who goes on group rides swearing blind that he doesn't use the motor ... but it's blindingly obvious he is ... ;)

Oh - Strava can just create a new category in bikes - e-Bike - and thus remove them from segments where motors would be helpful.
  • anthdci
    fat daddy wrote:
    I don't think so .. trek alone make 19 bikes now

http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes ... es/c/B507/

cube have a load as well

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/elec ... kes?f=2258

i stand corrected, I thought they were still mostly like the type I posted about. For the prices of them I'd still prefer a DIY,