Road bike selling advice

onedayer
onedayer Posts: 41
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
The exact opposite to the forum that I'm in sorry!

I'd like advice on what price to ask for my bike, and the best places to shift them.

This is the bike: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2011/

Really disappointed that I didn't give her the love she deserved. A cracking bike. :cry:

<200 miles ridden, fantastic condition.

Original price was £1000.

Comments

• Fifty dollah
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Fifty dollah

'Ooh a reply, that was quick!" ... Oh.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    That link is not working...says the product is no longer available so we cannot see what you paid for it. A 2011 bike will depreciate though...how much by is a bit of a guess. Knock off 30-40% and see if it goes???

BR is a very good place to sell but then so are the auction sites...as long as you know what you are doing and the tricks/pitfalls, etc.
  • Sorry good spot! I'll edit the first post but I paid £1000.

A friend of a friend says that he's seen them online brand new for £650.

By BR do you mean this site in the classifieds section?
  • For really top end stuff in very condition you would expect 40-60% of what you paid IME of selling a fair few bikes and components over the years. Best shot with that would probably be an auction site (the usual few!). I doubt you would get much more than £350 for it tbh.
  • I fear that I'm not going to get near as much as I'd hoped for it!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ^ You're right

Most people always think their bike is worth a bit more than its true value.

You'd be luck to net £300 after selling on eBay or elsewhere.
  • You'll get less for it on here as people know what they're looking at and the spec is not great plus unknown/little known brand

You might get lucky on ebay with some really good photos and a well written advert. Can't see you getting much more than £300
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    onedayer wrote:
    I fear that I'm not going to get near as much as I'd hoped for it!

you have to start wondering if its worth selling ? ..... I bought the wrong bike ... I wnet for a boardman hybrid, 9 months later I wish I had got a drop bar blah blah blah .... wife says I sould sell it and buy a different bike, but whats the point I am only going to get £200 max for it. .. Taking it apart and using it for spares would be more advantageous :|

so in your case ... I would take up cycling, as you said, its in excellent condition, there have been no cycling revolutions in the last few years that means your bike is suddenly rubbish

Take up cycling ... commute to work, use it on a Saturday morning to bust out 15 miles before breakfast ... loose a couple of inches from that waist line, see it as a precursor to a 400kcal muffin from Coffee #1

then in 9 months time buy a Bianchi and keep your old bike for a winter bike ... then buy a cyclocross bike .. a single speed ... a MTB .... a Brompton just for the hell of it
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You'll get less for it on here as people know what they're looking at and the spec is not great plus unknown/little known brand

You might get lucky on ebay with some really good photos and a well written advert. Can't see you getting much more than £300

Basso 'unknown/little known"?!! Dear me! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Basso isn't unknown! Clearly no Bianchi but they were founded by an ex Italian racer Marino Basso!

There's a fantastic post a couple back by fat daddy. I have to think about whether or not it's worth selling it or if I can get out and ride it? I know how good a bike it is I'm not selling because it's crap. It got me through some pretty gruelling charity rides with zero training so if there's half a chance of me doing another one of those in the future I do want to do it on that bike.

New asking price £400 (or £399 to make it sound better) and if it doesn't go it doesn't go. Got some people offering it arouf the local bike clubs, if that doesn't shift it then ebay it is.

Thanks for all your help guys I do appreciate it even if it isn't what I want to hear!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    onedayer wrote:
    ... I know how good a bike it is I'm not selling because it's crap. It got me through some pretty gruelling charity rides...

...and yet it still covered "<200 miles", 'tis a miracle I tell ya!!! ;-)
  • Hah, no miracle, two 60 milers in the Dales. That's grueling enough for me! I could do another one and still be under 200 miles!