Winter Gloves

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
On Sunday morning I went out to ride one of my usual winter routes and was looking forward to seeing the local countryside looking its winter best covered with a good hard frost however...whilst most of my body was fine with the freezing temperature my fingers.... my god the pain was ridiculous and all I could think about was Sir Ranulph Fiennes cutting off his fingers tips due to frost bite so I had to turn back after only 15 minutes! OK a little dramatic I know but you get the idea!!

Clearly my Dexter gloves are not suitable for temperature near, or around, zero degrees so I would appreciate some recommendations for 'proper' cold weather gloves that I can still operate the gears and brakes whilst wearing.

Comments

• Sealskinz, not the woolly ones. Think mine are the Breacons.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've been wearing Endura Strike gloves for the past few years, not too heavy, kept my hands dry and warm.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I just bought £5 liners from decathlon and wear under my normal long finger gloves, which in themselves are pretty thin. Had to remove them at the weekend as I got too hot. :)

I can't stand anything too bulky on my hands, I like to keep nimble. ;)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Layer up your torso and work hard!

I use some cheap winter motorcycle gloves that I bought in Aldidl once but turned out to be not much use on the motorbike. I grabbed them out of desperation one winter as I went out on the MTB and found them to be perfect; warm enough (when combined with good layering), sort of waterproof and with some impact protection if I should happen to wipeout. Not too bulky either, so I can operate brakes and shifters without a thought.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I've been using sealskinz with merino wool liners when the temperature is low, you can always remove the liners if it warms up
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Got sealskin waterproof but too hot.
    Bought these much better:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-blaze-gloves/
  • For (20 years)winter commuting (at daftoclock in the morning),generic 40gsm insulate fleece gloves.Couple of quid from Halfords (April onwards ,zero crash protection, but also includes a hat )!!4-5 squid from Tesco Aldi,Sainsburys,etc.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Endura Strikes for me too. Went out last Sunday expecting to get cold fingers so took liner gloves too, but didn't need them as the Enduras were warm enough.
  • I just stick on a pair on waterproofs for now: Altura pro gel waterproofs. As said, Sealskinz can be too warm. If I was pushed, I'd use glove liners in my waterproofs.
  • I absolutely can't stand gloves with padding and I was looking for some winter gloves for ages. I tried a few but they either weren't comfortable on the bike, or weren't very durable.
    The answer turned out to be spandex+fake leather airsoft gloves. There's different kinds, so just pop over at an army shop (if you have those) and take a look around.
    The ones I bought are warm enough even for windy sub-zero temperatures and when my hands get too warm, I can just spread my fingers and the small holes on the sides will cool my hands in a few seconds. The gloves are super comfortable, sturdy, grippy and I can easily reach into my pockets for stuff. They're not very restrictive at all. They're currently my holy grail of biking gloves.
    Word of advice, if you're going to be getting same material, pick a size that seems to "just about fit tight". They'll stretch a fair bit and may end up being too large otherwise.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just got a set of northwave lonster gloves. They are very toasty. Looking forward to ridkng early tomorrow now as my fingers wont hurt.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got a few gloves but if you are going to ride in close to freezing temps you will need something bulky compared to normal gloves. for really cold 0 and below I've got goretex merino lined ski gloves from decalthon, for above 0 I've got SealSkinz Brecon Gloves, and if its too hot for them a pair of northwave power gloves. If you just want to keep the wind out then a pair of endura dexter gloves are pretty good but not for the really cold. I have too many gloves lol
  • There's DeFeet E-Touch Dura gloves, for nippy but not freezing weather.

At wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... _content=0

Ski gloves at decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-313311-sk ... tens#page2

Which pair, POAH?
  • poah
  • POAH wrote:
    the Reusch Ida Women's Ski Gloves

You're female?
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

You're female?

given the penis and scrotum between my legs I'm guessing no
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    POAH wrote:

You're female?

given the penis and scrotum between my legs I'm guessing no

Depends if it's yours or someone else's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Must be Donald Trump's cousin.
  • Women's gloves... what am I supposed to think?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    robertpb wrote:
    I've been wearing Endura Strike gloves for the past few years, not too heavy, kept my hands dry and warm.
    I've had problems with the Strikes, I've had 2 pairs now and both have worn through the material on the fingers from shifting, changing tubes etc. They're not really waterproof either, the water just soaks in and when they're sodden your hands freeze.
    The one plus is that you can feel things through them. I've just bought some cheap Decathlon winter cycling gloves which are a little warmer but are like boxing gloves.