Giant Defy w/GREAT bottle cages

bradders1979
bradders1979 Posts: 83
edited January 2017 in Your road bikes
I'm happy with the colour match on the Elite cages anyway!

I'll be using this on LEJOG later this year. Following a bike fit I've found it to fit me like a glove. Fitter (@ Pedal On, Tadley - excellent shop btw) explained that I've got the flexibility to slam the stem - although will take down in increments before cutting the steerer.

Only upgrades are new saddle and excellent Michelin 28mm tyres (measured at a true 28mm on these rims).

Enjoying riding again!

defy%201_zpsdl32iv9o.jpg
defy%20cages_zps6c0q0yhs.jpg

Brad
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
2012 Scott Foil 40
2009 Spesh Allez Elite
2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    That is one awesome machine. Stiff, light, strong, comfy. Nice work. Black bar tape required though !! :D
  • Cheers Pete - yes, this does tick all of the boxes (for me!)

I think I'm with you on the bar tape. The trouble is that this stock Giant tape is so comfortable/quality it seems a shame to scrap it!

Brad
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • bristolpete
    Cheers Pete - yes, this does tick all of the boxes (for me!)

I think I'm with you on the bar tape. The trouble is that this stock Giant tape is so comfortable/quality it seems a shame to scrap it!

Brad

I hear you. This is quality stuff, best I have ever used. Not cheap but worth it.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds

Wrap it slightly tight for a lovely bar feel.

Nice one.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Had the same cages on my green Defy (obviously green ones though!) and the same Flite saddle. Ended up putting some black lizard skins tape on. Couldn't cope with the mismatch and the white got filthy easily,
  • Thanks chaps. Pete - the finish on that tape is similar looking to what i have now, a dimpled, sticky faux-leather. Before I 'upgrade' this tape I plan to keep clean with Baby Wipes. I've found these to be great for intermediate cleans of the drive train for a number of years too.
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • Fitter (@ Pedal On, Tadley - excellent shop btw) explained that I've got the flexibility to slam the stem - although will take down in increments before cutting the steerer.

Brad

I had a fit done at Pedal On too, Nick was really helpful and I don't suffer with the knee pain used to have. Did you pay full price or take advantage of the half price deals they do in January's?

Bike looks nice too, btw.
  • I'm happy with the colour match on the Elite cages anyway!

I'll be using this on LEJOG later this year. Following a bike fit I've found it to fit me like a glove. Fitter (@ Pedal On, Tadley - excellent shop btw) explained that I've got the flexibility to slam the stem - although will take down in increments before cutting the steerer.

Only upgrades are new saddle and excellent Michelin 28mm tyres (measured at a true 28mm on these rims).

Enjoying riding again!

defy%201_zpsdl32iv9o.jpg

Brad

Nice bike, where will the luggage go for the LEJoG? Apidura type frame bags?
  • bristolpete
    Yep. Cannondale and Giant have lovely textured/cross hatched cushioned tape on stock bikes but do not retail it, this is as close as I could find hence recommending it. Needs a slightly tighter pull though - quite thick tape, but not up there with 3.5mm tape such as roubaix and synapse types which can render a bar ungainly.
  • Dan Walton wrote:
    Fitter (@ Pedal On, Tadley - excellent shop btw) explained that I've got the flexibility to slam the stem - although will take down in increments before cutting the steerer.

Brad

I had a fit done at Pedal On too, Nick was really helpful and I don't suffer with the knee pain used to have. Did you pay full price or take advantage of the half price deals they do in January's?

Bike looks nice too, btw.

Hi Dan - yes, Nick @ Pedal On sorted me out too. Nice guy who really knows his stuff. Pain free riding for me now too! I didn't pay full price for the fit, agreed at time of buying the bike from them.
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • I'm happy with the colour match on the Elite cages anyway!

Enjoying riding again!

defy%201_zpsdl32iv9o.jpg

Brad

Nice bike, where will the luggage go for the LEJoG? Apidura type frame bags?

Hi Arthur - fortunately, I won't need to carry any. I'm riding the Deloitte RAB, fully supported and sleeping in a tent each night!
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • Even better! Enjoy the ride, you will have a blast! Experience of a lifetime.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The bike doesn't need black bar tape ... It needs a white saddle ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    The bike doesn't need black bar tape ... It needs a white saddle ...

In fairness - it did ship with a white Fizik Aliante saddle!
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite