Upgrade or New Bike?

Chkin11
Chkin11 Posts: 8
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I have been hovering for quite some time on here and have seen many of these threads, I've been cycling off and on since 2012 and still on my first bike (Stock) 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 6 (Tiagra 4500 3X9). I'm looking to upgrade components (5800 entire groupset) and wheels (Fulcrum Quattros) or, grab a new ride.

Edited: {personal life story removed} :?

My upgrades are looking to be around $670+ range which is about what I paid for the bike originally. My economics says do the upgrades (cheaper) but its hard to justify spending as much to upgrade a bike as what it originally cost new.

I was considering Defy Advance 2 ($1950) or possibly a CAAD12 (1500).

My riding style is mostly endurance, but of course I want to work on "my" fast too.

Comments

• Honestly I think any upgrade or new bike is not going to make much of a difference. You just need to get out there and ride until you can keep up with the bunch, that bike is more than good enough. It can be tough but stick at it and it won't take long.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This, work on your fitness then reward yourself for the effort.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Don't tiagra do 11-28 or 11-30 for the rear? You may need a new deraillieur, but it would be a lot cheaper than the full upgrade for the drive system.

Then keep saving for a second bike witht the nice wheels and groupset included,
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Don't tiagra do 11-28 or 11-30 for the rear? You may need a new deraillieur, but it would be a lot cheaper than the full upgrade for the drive system.

Then keep saving for a second bike witht the nice wheels and groupset included,

that's good advice, it's a Cannondale so they mix and match the groupset, the cassette is actually an Sram, I did find a 9sp Sram (pg-950) 11-28 cassette, that may help give me a little boost for now. seems compatible with the 4500RD as far as I can find.
  • Iv'e got to say though, I really don't like the 4500 shifters gear cables, they come off the side of the shifters rather than under the bar tape, really just cosmetic at my level but when I ride with others and see the slick under wrap cables they look much nicer/cleaner, that's not to mention the triple FD. Guess I am looking for a performance/appearance upgrade.

To clarify a little, I have been riding for five years now even though my time on the saddle is limited due to family/work. I do fine with the advance beginner rides. Just looking to get a bit of an edge to help progress to the 15-17mph avg group.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Chkin11 wrote:
    ...Granted I have been out of the game for a year....
    Chkin11 wrote:
    ...To clarify a little, I have been riding for five years now even though my time on the saddle is limited due to family/work...

Sort these two things out and you will go quicker. Being good at cycling is, to a large degree, down to your physiology (which you cannot change) and your fitness level (which you can). There is very little about being good that is linked to equipment.

There are guys who can ride in my local club 20mph group even when they turn up on 9speed alloy bikes with older wheels. I know one chap quite well :wink: Another chap turns up occasionally on a beat up sit-up and beg bike, squat little thing made of scaffold poles and wheels with more spokes than a 50s racing car and he smashes the rides to bits. Oh, he was the 12hr TT national champion a couple of years ago.

As others have said, use nice kit as a reward. Work hard and regularly, make time not excuses, ride safe and when you get to the next level buy some bling wheels as a treat. They won't make you quicker but you will feel great every time you look at them and cycling is all about that (well, for most of us).
  • fair enough, thank you.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    By the way, if you really haven't got a lot of time then make better use of the time you have. It is surprising just how much benefit you can get from High Intensity Training (HIT), but it does make riding unpleasant which can be self defeating in its objective.
    The other alternative is to make time. When my kids were young I could do anything I liked on a Saturday as long as I was back before 10am. Hence, I was up at 6 and out the door by 6.30 for a good 3 hour ride...with a little contingency for mechanicals. Got me fairly fit as I found I worked hard...particularly on those routes which were a bit too blinking long :-)