Chinese carbon tubulars

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I know there's a huge thread about clinchers but I'm interested to hear from anyone who has brought deep section tubulars and their experiences — good or bad.

I just can't bring myself to spend £600 plus on branded tubular wheels, hence the cheaper option. But could this be a false economy?

Would potentially be buying — baring a barrage of dreadful reviews — for crit racing and time trials.

Thanks.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You'd ideally want different wheels for crits vs TT's. And I'd just stay with normal tyres really - a lot cheaper too.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    When you buy from China it's the hubs were the cost lays. Cheap novatec laced rims will be cheap but ask for dt Swiss it probably costs the same as going to Planet X

Without wishing to hijack the thread, if anyone has experience of buying from China not just wheels but frames or components I would be interested in knowing their experiences. Pitfalls, hidden costs etc. Looking at getting some unbranded aero handlebars but iffy quality issues would be a concern.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    ww often has posts on this topic

this (long) thread may help with ideas, might be best to start and the end and work backwards

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=103936
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've raced CX on a set of CS-Carbon 38mm deep tubs all year and they've been fine. Had absolutely no issue with the cheap Novatec hubs. Can't see the point in expensive hubs anyway on race wheels as they don't see that much mileage. I think they were £290 including import taxes/handling fee.
    I think I would have paid the extra for PX CT45s had they had any in stock, but they didn't.
  • smoggysteve
    trek_dan wrote:
    I've raced CX on a set of CS-Carbon 38mm deep tubs all year and they've been fine. Had absolutely no issue with the cheap Novatec hubs. Can't see the point in expensive hubs anyway on race wheels as they don't see that much mileage. I think they were £290 including import taxes/handling fee.
    I think I would have paid the extra for PX CT45s had they had any in stock, but they didn't.

I'm not suggesting novatec are rubbish. It's just a fact that the majority of Chinese carbon rims are so cheap cos they are on cheap hubs. The same rims could cost twice as much from Planet X just because they are on better hubs. Nothing wrong with it just so you know where your money is going
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    trek_dan wrote:

I'm not suggesting novatec are rubbish. It's just a fact that the majority of Chinese carbon rims are so cheap cos they are on cheap hubs. The same rims could cost twice as much from Planet X just because they are on better hubs. Nothing wrong with it just so you know where your money is going

PX hubs are just Novatec with a PX sticker on. A lot of wheel builders use rebadged Novatec hubs too. Its the build time, alleged QC, sticker application and warranty you pay for.
  • smoggysteve
    trek_dan wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

PX hubs are just Novatec with a PX sticker on. A lot of wheel builders use rebadged Novatec hubs too. Its the build time, alleged QC, sticker application and warranty you pay for.

I'm inclined to believe that plus every part of the chain will want their mark up.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've used several pairs of Carbonzone 60s over the past few years for training, racing and commuting - GB mainland and the Abruzzo mountains.

Never had any problems with them at all - no overheating, going off true, no broken spokes.

Light, cheap, look cool, roll well, make a smart zummmmm zummmmm noise as you go along, nice loud freewheel.

Very recommended.

I also can't see the point in the post above re tyre costs - Conti Giro tubs are £15 each, cheaper than Michelin Pro 4 or equivalent........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I brought some 60mm rims from farsport drilled 24/28, $600 dollars delivered.

Got Malcolm to build them. Been really good. It now seems must rebranded carbon wheels use this rim.

Weightweenies is a good place to research. They also marked the value low so no import tax. If you do get taxed it's vat plus 4% import tax iirc, total cost including shipping.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, some useful insights here.

I do tend to see a lot of UK sold stuff which seems almost identical to what's coming out of these factories, and apart from the easy of sending back wheels under warranty, I can't see much of a reason to spend a whole lot more — for my circumstances anyway.