Recommend me some disc brakes with bite/contact point adjustment?

sprinter2012
sprinter2012 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I had Avid Codes on my old DH bike when they first came out which were awesome, they had a simple and effective method to adjust both the lever distance and also the pad contact/bite point.

The Shimano Deore M615s I've got on the Stumpy still stop the bike fine and have lever adjustment, but the feel of the brakes is spongy and terrible and don't have bite point adjustment which is a feature that I personally think makes all the difference.

What disc brake setups would you recommend that have the same or more stopping power than the Deore's, but also have an effective bite point adjustment system?
Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    If you can afford them I would buy a set of m785 xt brakes that you should be able to get for a good price now the m8000 version is now out.

These have lever adjust and bite point adjustment but I can't say I have ever used this feature.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    its easy to adjust the bite point without an adjuster. take the wheel off and pull the lever a wee bit a couple of times. this will move the pads in and bingo closer pads to disc
  • POAH wrote:
    its easy to adjust the bite point without an adjuster. take the wheel off and pull the lever a wee bit a couple of times. this will move the pads in and bingo closer pads to disc

I read that people do that, but they said that they self adjust back to normal after a while though?
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

I read that people do that, but they said that they self adjust back to normal after a while though?

never heard of that but I add more oil to the lever to fill up the gap taken by the pistons moving out. downside is you can't push them back in without removing fluid. Done me well on SLX, XT, Zee and saint brakes over the years