Long seatpost small frame

jheg
jheg Posts: 15
edited January 2017 in Road general
I recently got my third canyon ultimate cf slx (previous two both written off) and whilst the previous two were a medium frame I decided to size down to a small.

I had a new bike fit on Saturday and everything is fine except I don't have quite enough seatpost length and setting to the desired height exceeds by about 1.5cm the maximum line.

Admittedly I do like to have my seat high but a quick look on the canyon site suggests that they only have 1 seatpost length regardless of the bike size.

Has anyone else experienced this with the canyon ultimate (particularly since the dropped the clamp position) and any recommendations for a quality seatpost replacement?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jheg wrote:

Admittedly I do like to have my seat high
    Presumably you mean you like to have it at the correct height?
  • jheg
    Imposter wrote:
    Presumably you mean you like to have it at the correct height?

'correct' depending on the type of bike fit you subscribe to but from my personal experience it works for me.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    How long is the seatpost that came with the bike?
  • jheg
    345mm.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Ritchey do most of their seatposts in 400mm, eg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-superlo ... st-1-bolt/
  • jheg
    Thanks for that although they don't have a 400mm with a 27.2mm diameter the 350mm might just be enough.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2017
    I'm sure Thomson do a 400 in 27.2......a search shouldn't be hard!

A quick Google shows dozens, starting at about £19 for an RSP product.

Exotic carbon also do them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    CRC are listing 29 seatposts in 27.2@400mm ... I am sure a few might be out of stock, but there are friggin loads about
  • mind you don't crack the frame.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Why?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    We have had 2 frames crack at the seat tube/top tube junction caused by riding with a very long seat tube. On the other hand I practically always have a long seat post. Do not ride with an inadequate length down the tube , that will break something for certain.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • priory wrote:
    Do not ride with an inadequate length

Agreed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jheg
    I've swapped for a medium thanks for the insights