2 falls - 1 ride

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
Slightly embarassing ride yesterday.
First fall was at 0mph as I'd come to a roundabout and was unable to clip-out due to not tightening the bolts properly after adjusting the cleat position.
Second was downhill entering a bend. 45kph (According to Strava) ice - gravity - floor. Thought I'd bust my collar bone but it's just bruising all down my left shoulder/ribs/wrist. Hurts to breathe but hopefully should recover fairly swiftly.
Take it easy out there guys, i went out in the afternoon to avoid the ice but I guess this bit was too sheltered so hadn't gone. Oh and if the other guy who was at PRH is on here to I hope your collar bone heals well and swiftly!

Comments

• As a rule of thumb, if it's been freezing overnight and it's Dec-Feb, I don't bother to go out on my bike... unless I have spiked ice tyres on.

Even with 5 degrees air temperature, there will be that shaded corner where ice has not melted and might not melt at all.

You can stick to gritted main roads, but it's not much fun

Some play the "dew point" game, but I never found it a particularly reliable way of telling if there is ice around...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ouch, second one sounds painful.

I rode with my dad on Saturday, 72 years old and still going strong. He had a near miss just in front of me, similar scenario although a little slower, saw his back wheel just twitch but he somehow straightened it out and went straight on, used the bank on the outside of the bend as a berm and saved it. m4d 5k1llz from the old boy

I gritted my teeth, braced for impact but luckily ice patch was short and i braked as soon as i was past it

5 mins later, stopped for a piss, thought I'd unclipped both but I hadn't and fell over in a pile of leaves, nothing damaged but my pride
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Tashman
    I might be taking that approach from now. not had a chance to give the bike a full once over yet but at first glance I think it was only cosmetic as i went down on the non-drive side.
    Unfortunately out in the sticks where I am the treated roads woul mean a just a single road that I try to avoid for too long
  • Tashman
    Glad he stayted upright. I never even saw the ice just BAM and I was down, then sliding on my arse (hole in my tights and my daughters laghter at my a£se hanging out to prove it)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yeah - my rule-of-thumb in the Highlands was ice on the car meant ice on the roads and only studded tyres. On the two occasions I ignored my own "rule", I had the rear tyre step out on me (on both occasions just before a long, steep, hill with a bend at the bottom where I know cold air collects) - it makes for a very uncomfortable descent.

Despite what a few people say, it really isn't worth the risk. My brother ended up in hospital after a guy in front of him went down on an isolated patch of ice and he went down in sympathy. I still have a scar on my arm after I went down about 10 years ago on ice too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've got a bit of a problem as i am a recent convert to the road. Worst time of year to get into it i guess. Bought my bike 2 days after Christmas. Didn't ride the weekend before due to conditions so i was itching to get out.

Trouble is I've got the bug now and having to balance that with being sensible about conditions. Roll on the spring/summer!
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was out for 2 hours yesterday, 12:00 - 14:00. I seemed to have chosen a route consisting of entirely ungritted roads. Some were dry and clear but many were either still visibly frosty, but where grip seemed OK, or a mixture of black ice and melt water, where grip was very sketchy. I spent a lot of the ride cycling on the wrong side of the road where that looked better, or on the worst narrow lanes, right down the middle where the accumulated crap offered a safer option than the ribbons of ice either side.

Not doing any more night rides till it warms up...
  • Rode on sunday as per the obligatory BB thread update and my garmin was reading -2.9c at one point (strava shows -1. Pft what does it know...).

Rode along the main roads so they were gritted but there was ice in the gutters.

I'll probably go on zwift this week as it's too cold to ride first thing and at night.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Turbo.
  • Tashman
    Yeah, might have to scrimp a bit and invest
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    As a rule of thumb, if it's been freezing overnight and it's Dec-Feb, I don't bother to go out on my bike...

Even with 5 degrees air temperature, there will be that shaded corner where ice has not melted and might not melt at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with this - I have only done three rides this month, but have been getting much more into distance running anyway, which is unaffected by the weather - I can even run in the snow.

I have been surprised when out running in the frost at seeing roadies taking their chances - as a non-racer, I just dont see the point in taking the risk.
  • Tashman
    Unfortunately my knees are made from paper so running isn't an option. Maybe I should fix my MTB for the nastier weather
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Luckier than me then. I went down on black ice before christmas and trashed my hip so badly that the only option was a full replacement job. At home now recovering. No work, no drive, no bike. Be careful out there guys, it aint worth the risk!
  • Tashman
    Sorry to hear that Mikey, looks like maybe a broken rib is the worst I've got. Cycling was supposed to be my rehab after cruciate ligament reconstruction last year, I thought exercise was supposed to be good for you :)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Secteur wrote:
    As a rule of thumb, if it's been freezing overnight and it's Dec-Feb, I don't bother to go out on my bike...

I wholeheartedly agree with this - I have only done three rides this month, but have been getting much more into distance running anyway, which is unaffected by the weather - I can even run in the snow.

I have been surprised when out running in the frost at seeing roadies taking their chances - as a non-racer, I just dont see the point in taking the risk.

A decent level triathlete colleague of mine broke an arm. On a run. So there's danger on ice whatever you do.

Personally my rule of ice is if there's been rain/sleet/snow on one day, sub-zero temperatures overnight, then don't even think about the 6.30am commute (one section is untreated road that tends to have hill water run-off - ice rinks in the making). Even the shared cycle paths on that route just don't get the gritting that the adjacent roads do.
    However, if it's been dry for a day (or preferably two), I'll still go out in sub-zero temperatures (as it was this last week), I'll just go steady on the sections that I know could still be damp - and this is the rub - I know the commute like the back of my hand, so this is actually fairly easy. I think I'd be far more nervous on roads I don't know that well.

Be safe out there folks! Spring is only a few weeks away! :D
  • Yeah - my rule-of-thumb in the Highlands was ice on the car meant ice on the roads

Brilliant.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I ride every day. Had a low speed slip on ice this morning no injury. Has a slip on ice earlier this week too which was a pain as a tore brand new tights. However that was on back roads where I suspected ice. The gritted roads are not much fun but they are ice free and that is better than a turbo.

All my ice falls have been on back roads which are not gritted. I am very cautious on these. I have mostly been using main gritted roads this winter to avoid an high speed crashes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I ride every day. Had a low speed slip on ice this morning no injury. Has a slip on ice earlier this week too which was a pain as a tore brand new tights. However that was on back roads where I suspected ice. The gritted roads are not much fun but they are ice free and that is better than a turbo.

All my ice falls have been on back roads which are not gritted. I am very cautious on these. I have mostly been using main gritted roads this winter to avoid an high speed crashes.

SO what is your message? Go slowly, so you will go down in slow motion? Seeing you own 20 bikes, you might even fit one with studded tyres, no? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    17 ugo and it is not icey enough for studded tyres. Snow and sheet ice is needed for those to come out. Have not seen that yet. My message is pick your route carefully. If you think ice is about slow right down. If you go over it will hurt less and you will have less road rash.

Also charging down a hill at 30mph is never a clever idea unlessyou know the road is ice free. Wet roads can very slippy it only takes a bit of diesel. Even in todays group ride i was very cautious on bends. It was a very quick ride but i kept my distance and all tight bends were taken with caution. I did not fear ice but greasy surfaces.

My commutes at present are using 33 mile route of main roads. i often do a shorter hillier route but the downhills would be dicey. This main road route is ice free even when it has been minus 4. I use a shorter route in the evening home because the ice has melted by then has had not had chance to reform.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yeah - my rule-of-thumb in the Highlands was ice on the car meant ice on the roads

Brilliant.

Thank you :D

The rule doesn't work so well down south because the daytime temps mean the ground temps don't stay so low. That said, it wise to stay safe. Far too many people falling off on ice right now. 4.5 hours waiting time at Addenbrooke's A&E on Friday. I'm sure they don't need any more bent and broken cyclists.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tashman
    As an aside, sneezing with broken ribs! A whole new experience
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Well it just goes to show how good gritting is for the main roads. Went out this morning at 6.15, onto a road that is usually treated (it's a main A road), but it appears that Cumbria county council hadn't gritted anywhere in South Lakes overnight. The normally safe A road was an ice rink! I only got 5 or 6 metres and nearly went down - though 'f*** this', turned straight back and defrosted the car.
    Saying that, there were numerous accidents all over south Cumbria this morning (unsurprisingly), so even four wheels not so good if there's been no gritting. I suspect Cumbria CC will be getting it in the neck for this oversight (but to be fair, the forecast wasn't for sub-zero temperatues at all overnight). :roll:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The problem is that gritting still relies quite heavily on traffic to grind it into the ice rather than just defrost the top mm. If you are heading out at 6am then I would always assume that whatever ice was there is still going to be there irrespective of road treatment. We had a chap fall on a club ride last week despite the morning temperature being reasonable...but he was unlucky and hit the one very small patch of slushy ice on a fast corner...fractured hip, out for a month.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    Tashman wrote:

I told you.

17 :shock:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pinno wrote:
    Tashman wrote: