What to look for?

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,401
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi all, won't be back in the saddle for a couple of weeks after a prang, but would like to sort the bike so it's ready to go when I am. Bike hit the deck on the non-drive side and on brief inspection the QR levers and pedal look superficial only. The LH brifter is all scuffed (is this rubber replaceable?) but not checked its operation yet.
Is there things that you guys would automatically check out that as a newbie I might miss?

Comments

• I would get the bike in a stand a do a general check of the frame for dents/cracks, check cranks and pedals to see if they are bent, check the forks for bends (I think you fell sideways so I wouldn't expect anything), check the handlebars and shifters and have a look at the rear mech to make sure it's ok. It'll also give you a chance to do any general maintenance and cleaning you come across. Bikes are pretty tough, chances are it'll be completely fine.
  • Tashman
    Thanks, as I said, not had strength/time to have a proper look yet but a cursory inspection seem that the shifter may be the only issue although that could just be superficial too
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Since you fell non drive side down I'd be looking carefully at the bars, the LH shifter, LH crank + pedal.

Also make sure the wheels are still true.

You can buy replacement hoods for many models of shifter; have a Google...
  • Tashman
    Ah thanks for that, My initial searching of cycle sites was only bringing up levers, hoods was the magic word