Joggers Nipple

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2017 in Road general
As someone who is new to road cycling AND bib shorts ... the one issue I have is nipple chafing ... (not wearing base layer)

The shoulder straps tend to rub , as per joggers Nipple .. yet I note my riding buddy's ( female of the species ) bib straps run down the centre of the chest avoiding nipples and other items

Anyone else experienced this chafing ??

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Simple answer here, just grow some tits.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I know riding your bike can be stimulating but it's not that stimulating.
    You could rub bum cream on your nips.
  • Anonymous
    Mike wrote:
    Simple answer here, just grow some tits.

:|
  • Anonymous
    Webboo wrote:
    I know riding your bike can be stimulating but it's not that stimulating.
    You could rub bum cream on your nips.

:?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Jogger's nipple is caused by rubbing, I don't understand why bibshort straps would be moving around?
  • webboo
    Maybe he''s doing that pec dance thing as he rides along.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Why not just wear a base layer?
  • Anonymous
    The bib straps seem lay across my nips when I ride ...Using Castelli Aero / Mondiale and velo' s for summer

As I said I'm a newbie to bib shorts so will try some base layer and get back to you

Thank you for the constructive comments / advice
  • webboo
    I guess mine do but I have never had this problem or any other chaffing accept in the crutch area. I used get it running and swimming when doing triathlons, Vaseline was the answer then.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Pierced nipples and bib straps really don't mix either. Always have to wear a base layer 8)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    base layer. Compression vest type. Solves problem
  • Base layer under the bibs, best if tight
    left the forum March 2023
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    A pair of plasters
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Webboo wrote:
    Vaseline was the answer.
    ^^This
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Sounds to me like your kit doesn't fit properly. Bibs shouldn't move around enough to rub when you're riding. Try going down a size.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I get it when running but never had an issue on the bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I used to get joggers nipple when running whilst wearing the wrong sort of material (eg cotton) in a loose fit, and it gets exacerbated the more the top gets soaked in sweat. Compression base layers were a complete solution to the problem for me as they formed a barrier.
    For cycling your bibs should be tight enough not to move and made of the right material to soak up tons of sweat.
    Tight bibs and a tight base layer and you'll be sorted.
    I recommend Sportful Total Comfort or R&D as having just about the best bibs going.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    As a kid in the bike club the elders told us to always wear a base layer. Where are you cycling that you dont have one?

And yes you get it when running -especially as a novice but you shouldnt get it cycling. Unless you're running in your bike kit?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    You could make a couple of nipple guards from an old egg box. Should solve the problem but make you look a right (and left) tit.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    As someone who is new to road cycling AND bib shorts ... the one issue I have is nipple chafing ... (not wearing base layer)

The shoulder straps tend to rub , as per joggers Nipple .. yet I note my riding buddy's ( female of the species ) bib straps run down the centre of the chest avoiding nipples and other items

Anyone else experienced this chafing ??

You should be wearing a baselayer.

In this weather I don't see why not.

But in the summer I never counter such problem. Your upper body is not moving so not sure how you managed to get the chafing.

Stick on some tape and your issue is solved. But I actually don't quite believe you.
  • Anonymous
    I can assure I do suffer from this problem .. I had serious issues when I was running a number of years ago and had to resort to zinc tape as I ending up bleeding through my vest on a 10k run

As I said before I'm new to wearing bib shorts and I layer up ON TOP of my shorts but I will try some base layer ( coolmax ) for my next ride
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I can assure I do suffer from this problem .. I had serious issues when I was running a number of years ago and had to resort to zinc tape as I ending up bleeding through my vest on a 10k run

As I said before I'm new to wearing bib shorts and I layer up ON TOP of my shorts but I will try some base layer ( coolmax ) for my next ride

Yes, sounds like you'll need to wear a baselayer all the time. Even in the height of summer, the cooling mesh sleeveless versions would be just the job. Sounds counter-productive to wear an extra layer in the hot months, but it'll probably be more comfortable due to the wicking properties - and no more sore nips!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    you can get special nipple tape to stick over them ... or use plasters etc, anything that stops the direct rubbing ... the only down side is removing the sticky pads ... it will involve a separate thread entitled Sensitive sticky plaster nipples
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

DOH !
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    A base layer will solve the problem in the winter.

In the summer when it's too warm for a base layer, Assos Chamois cream does the trick.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cougie wrote:
    Where are you cycling that you dont have one?

Where are you cycling that you don't have one - IN JANUARY..??
  • Anonymous
    Been wearing a thermal base layer over my shorts ,,,, next ride it's going UNDER the bib straps
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I found that the Helley Hansen base layer material acted as a grater when running. 8 mile run and 3 days of very sensitive nipples.

Decent merino baselayers were fine.

This was winter running.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I get this too. cycling and running . also when wearing a blazer at work with bits of card or wallet etc in the inside breast pockets. It's a right nuisance. I try to remember not to put much in those pocket. wear a baselayer under the straps and pull the straps to the side away from the nips. I suppose if I was proper hard I would just let them wear away and scar up. I have known people (men and women) stick micropore tape over them.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    priory wrote:
    I get this too. cycling and running . also when wearing a blazer at work with bits of card or wallet etc in the inside breast pockets. It's a right nuisance. I try to remember not to put much in those pocket. wear a baselayer under the straps and pull the straps to the side away from the nips. I suppose if I was proper hard I would just let them wear away and scar up. I have known people (men and women) stick micropore tape over them.

women too, really ? why didnt they just get a decent fitting bra, or of the sports variety if jogging