Buying Road bike for the first time...

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
1 option: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323873/p ... black.aspx
At £350

Option 2: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/318563/p ... black.aspx
At £600

I like both bikes, but as a student £250 difference is big. I am going to be buying one of these either way. I just want to know if its worth it, spending extra £250 on option 2 or should I save and go with option 1?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Both are good first road bikes. You need to decide which type of geometry you prefer, traditional like the Cannondale, or compact endurance like the Defy, and whether you want disc or caliper brakes. The Cannondale is 8sp the Defy 10sp and has disc brakes, that accounts for the price difference, and is a good buy at that price if they have one that fits you.

Whichever you choose make sure you buy one that fits, don't be tempted to buy a discounted bike because it falls into your budget but is too big for you, that is a false economy.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    What do you like about them? The name? Discount?

You have any experience at all on a bike? You mentioned buying road bike for the first time but is this the first time you've had a road bike?

If it is your first ever road bike (you've never ridden one before) I would recommend you to test drive as many bikes as you can from the racy geometry to the endurance and more relaxed geometry. Personally I will always go for the more relaxed geometry first if you are just starting out.

Geometry is something you need to figure out first more than anything else.

If you are a student riding in the city then I recommend nothing but disc brake bikes. In this case I favour the Giant but I prefer the discount of the Cannondale.

Looking at google and I think £594 is the cheapest for the Defy 2.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc wrote:
    What do you like about them? The name? Discount?

You have any experience at all on a bike? You mentioned buying road bike for the first time but is this the first time you've had a road bike?

If it is your first ever road bike (you've never ridden one before) I would recommend you to test drive as many bikes as you can from the racy geometry to the endurance and more relaxed geometry. Personally I will always go for the more relaxed geometry first if you are just starting out.

Geometry is something you need to figure out first more than anything else.

If you are a student riding in the city then I recommend nothing but disc brake bikes. In this case I favour the Giant but I prefer the discount of the Cannondale.

Looking at google and I think £594 is the cheapest for the Defy 2.

If I only got these two options I will take the Giant Defy 2.
  • Haha, thanks for replying. I use my MTB for commuting as my campus is only 5 miles away from home... I want a Road bike, so I can cycle further in my free time. I seem to like the giant one better, because of disc brakes and better components. However the £250 difference is big for me. If the giant one beats the cannondale, in every single area, then I might go all in and get giant one. I am not buying it until sunday/monday so still got time to look around more.
  • hsiaolc
    Laurynas wrote:
    Haha, thanks for replying. I use my MTB for commuting as my campus is only 5 miles away from home... I want a Road bike, so I can cycle further in my free time. I seem to like the giant one better, because of disc brakes and better components. However the £250 difference is big for me. If the giant one beats the cannondale, in every single area, then I might go all in and get giant one. I am not buying it until sunday/monday so still got time to look around more.

Take your time. If you came from the MTB then you most certainty would want to Disk Brake. I origins are similar to yours that I came from the MTB then to road. I do both now.

Because MTB I can't stand the v brake and huge difference in every way. I had (still have actually) my Canyon Ultimate and I hated it because it was the wrong geometry for me and the V brake was just totally inadequate. My hands hurt everyday from braking and once in the wet I totally had no strength left to break near the end of the ride home.

I wished and prayed for disc brake to come and when it first came to furition I bought one immediately the Rose Xeon and it was night and day in terms of confidence from braking and the fact that I no longer suffer hand fatigue from braking brings a smile to my face every time I ride.

Very soon all road bikes will be disc regardless of whoever says what. I would advise to go V brake just so that you will appreciate the disc in the future but why suffer like I did for one F..king year?

Also relaxed more geo is good for first bike. If you feel like having a super light aero bike then save for it.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Road bikes don't have v brakes :roll:

The first bike is perfectly ok & good VFM
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I'd go for the Cannondale, but then I've never been drawn to Giant bikes