Grinding noise from the rear hub when I stop pedaling

jude2001
jude2001 Posts: 53
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Not too long ago I serviced my freehub because my cassette went both ways, I wiped off the grease and put a little bit of dry lube on the springs and in that area and then followed that up by wiping the splines of the freehub which had some oil on them. As I rode more and more the sound of the freehub clicking noise is getting louder and louder :D but then one ride I heard a grinding noise once I had stopped pedaling, this has happened several times but it goes away for a bit and comes up back every so often. I have 2010 mavic cosmic elites but they are in very good condition. How should I solve this, put dry lube on the splines, put more lube on in general.

thanks, Jude

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It could be the beginnings of the infamous Mavic freehub death squeal! On the other hand, it could be that you have simply used the wrong lube. Dry lube is not something I would use on freehub pawls, particularly at this time of year. Clean them up and use something like 3in1. When you do that, have a good look and see if you inadvertently introduced a problem last time around or maybe there is a small bit of free grit floating around in there?. Might be worth having a good look at the wheels to see how much life is left in them while you are at it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, sounds like either the beginnings of the Mavic squeal of death, or the squeal has been bypassed and the WAFU nylon bush is FUBAR.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    You should not have used dry lube, you need to use light mineral oil for these Mavic Freehubs.

As above the nylon bushing is probably worn beyond repair. Either buy a new freehub or get a nylon bushng from a seller called the hub doctor on Ebay and replace the freehub bushing. Then reassemble with mineral oil following one of the many Mavic freehub service videos on Youtube.
  • I serviced the freehub last night and I didn't hear any grinding when did 35 miles today, I'll be doing 60-70 tomorrow, so I shall see if it has been fixed.