Garmin Extended Warranty

jimbop77
jimbop77 Posts: 19
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

does anyone know if it is possible to get extended warranty on Garmin GPS devices in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Comments

• ANYONE?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    if you buy from Curry's then you can get extended warranty on anything. But is it worth it?
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Extended warranties are generally an expensive way of getting peace of mind. Equipment usually fails when it is either very new or getting on so you'd either be covered by the manufacturers warranty/ Sale of Goods Act or the extended warranty would have expired. Keep the money in your bank (along with money saved from all your other avoided extended warranties) and use it to repair or replace. Do this for all your goods and you'll be quids in and save on all that paperwork
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Personally I've never bought extended warranty for anything except for my Lexus.
  • To get out of warranty replacement for a failed Garmin isn't outrageous (compared to the replacement cost - £80ish for a refurbished Edge 1000 with a broken screen) - you can bet that the extended warranty would be more (and of course most people will never need it)
  • Hi all

I have had a very bad experience with a Mio 505 which has failed after 18 months use and is out of warranty.

Hence my question of extended warranties...

Regards

Jim
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    JimboP77 wrote:
    Hi all

I have had a very bad experience with a Mio 505 which has failed after 18 months use and is out of warranty.

Hence my question of extended warranties...

Regards

Jim

That the warranty is "expired" is neither here nor there. Under UK law goods are expected to last a "reasonable" amount of time. For that product 18 months is not "reasonable" at all. I suggest you persist with demanding a repair or a replacement.

Extended warranties are a complete waste of money, and only serve to line the pockets of salesmen with commission. UK law already provides consumers with adequate protection.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/ ... tocomplain

Although the article is slightly out of date now as the Sale of Goods Act has been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act. Although it does depend on when you actually made your purchase as to which Act applies.