Wahoo Blue SC vs. Garmin GSC10 for ZWIFT

dinozar711
dinozar711 Posts: 3
Hi! I would like to make use of ZWIFT for training. Currently I have an old Minoura Trainer and an Android Phone (Samsung j7) and the only things missing are a speed and cadence sensors.

May I kindly request for your insights on the following:

1. I am leaning towards the Wahoo Blue since it has both ANT and Bluetooth. If ever I decide to purchase this, do I still need to buy an USB ANT+ Dongle and USB wire extension? Or will the Bluetooth be enough to make the sensors communicate with the PC?

2. Since the USB ANT+ Dongle is quite expensive, can I just buy a Bluetooth USB receiver instead and connect it to the USB wire extension?

3. Can I use the Wahoo Blue SC for regular rides? Can my phone read the speed / cadence?

4. What are the pros and cons of Wahoo and Garmin?

PS: I will not shift to IOS.

Thanks!

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited January 2017
    Simple, answer, neither. Both are old magnet based solutions which have been superceded for good reason, by the magnetless altnernatives.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-rpm-speed ... 0-and-ant/

In operation those are exactly the same. The only different being the Wahoo does BTLE and ANT+, the Garmin ANT+ only.

1) Zwift doesn't support BT on PC. You could however use the 'Mobile Link' app to bridge the bluetooth from the sensors to the PC via your phone.

2) No

3) Yes

4) As above they are the same except the garmin doesn't do Bluetooth
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    4) As above they are the same except the garmin doesn't do ANT+
    Bluetooth - Garmin doesn't do Bluetooth! .... well - not on their sensors anyway.

Wasn't aware that Zwift didn't support Bluetooth on a PC - seems a bit odd - but hey.

I've got the Suunto Ant+ stick (because my Macbook is too old and doesn't have Bluetooth 4 - but runs Bkool simulator nicely) - works fine with Bkool and Zwift using my Bkool trainer and Garmin HRM
  • Slowbike wrote:

Wasn't aware that Zwift didn't support Bluetooth on a PC - seems a bit odd - but hey.

I think it's because most bluetooth on PC is BT2.0 whereas trainers need BTLE (4.0), most wouldn't understand that distinction.
  • dinozar711 wrote:

2. Since the USB ANT+ Dongle is quite expensive
    Expensive? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Micro- ... Sw3YNXaWfS (I've had 4 from that seller now for various friends, work etc)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

I think it's because most bluetooth on PC is BT2.0 whereas trainers need BTLE (4.0), most wouldn't understand that distinction.

Fair enough - interestingly - if you have a Mac (more modern than my Mid2009 one) then you can use Native Bluetooth - although it'll be a bit of a false economy in buying a Mac just so you don't need to buy an Ant+ dongle! :)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... at=product

Just had mine delivered to the office, paired straight away with my Garmin 1000 and works perfectly.

Will report back on Zwift iOS and Kickr Snap compatibility tonight, but assuming it'll be fine.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Thanks for all your replies! Just to clarify:
    1. If ever I get the WAHOO RPM Speed and Cadence with Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+, I still have to buy a USB ANT+ Dongle and USB cord to use ZWIFT in PC. Correct?
    2. If I already have the WAHOO RPM, I can already leg go of my existing Cateye and use my Samsung Android phone instead?
    3. Are the other social training apps (aside from Zwift) compatible with Bluetooth PC?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    We have/had one of each. For a turbo pretty much no difference apart from the Wahoo does Bluetooth - so useful if you use a phone. On the road the Garmin is better as I'd be worried about the Wahoo sensor coming off or into the spokes.

I said have/had as both of our are now up on ebay - no use now there's a Kickr in the house.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    dinozar711 wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies! Just to clarify:
    1. If ever I get the WAHOO RPM Speed and Cadence with Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+, I still have to buy a USB ANT+ Dongle and USB cord to use ZWIFT in PC. Correct?

Depends if your PC has bluetooth. I use my Wahoo BLE sensors with my iMac and iPad without any problems. I find they actually work better / connect faster than my Garmin sensors when using the ANT+ Garmin dongle.

2. If I already have the WAHOO RPM, I can already leg go of my existing Cateye and use my Samsung Android phone instead?

Not sure what you mean here. You don't need both sensors doing the same thing on the bike, and yes, your phone will pick up the Whaoo unit in the Wahoo ap and in Zwift.

3. Are the other social training apps (aside from Zwift) compatible with Bluetooth PC?

You'll have to google this one. Not sure if Trainer Road is BLE compatible
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • dinozar711 wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies! Just to clarify:

I would still recommend that approach - however, if you have a recent (as in last 5 years) iPhone or Android smartphone you can use that to bridge between the PC and your Bluetooth sensors.

Using your phone as a cycle computer is another, and massive topic in it's own right.

Or you could just pay the sodding £20 for the dongle.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    One thing I would say about using the Zwift Mobile Link to link up bluetooth sensors: it can be finicky.

I've got an RPM Speed, RPM Cadence (BTLE or ANT+ compatible) and a TomTom BTLE HRM. Before I knew what I really needed to get working I ordered a Suunto ANT+ dongle.

I did about 10 Zwift sessions using the Mobile Link app and it would always take a bit longer to find the S & C sensors - I'd have to pedal a bit, close the app, close the desktop program, re-open and generally fanny around a bit. (No issues with the HRM though, that was always immediate.) But once found the setup worked fine.

A couple of days ago no amount of messing about would find the speed sensor (despite it flashing to indicate it was on) and after half my turbo session time had vanished I got stroppy and the Suunto dongle - sitting on the side ready to be returned - got plugged in.

Instant pickup of speed and cadence sensors. And it seems like it's marginally quicker to register changes in speed/cadence now - there's always going to be a slight lag, but it seems to be about halved. I don't think it's a sensor issue - when on the bike they pair pretty much instantly with my GPS - I suspect it might be down to interference, being surrounded by other houses with their own BT devices etc...either way, it's worth the extra £20 I paid for an ANT+ stick.