Snow Watch

2»

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    JGSI wrote:
    My faith is with the local council gritting teams ... I use A roads . if it all goes that deadly quiet sort of snow deadly quiet overnight I may sack off tomorrow... just take the day orf... cant be arsed with it at the moment anyways. contract rolling to an end.

hmm - I've turned back after just over a mile when the rear slipped for the 4th time - on an A road - problem was, they gritted, it rained, skies cleared, it froze ...
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Well I've just seen a picture that my colleague's wife has sent him - heavy snow currently in Reading. It's on it's way......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Meanwhile 15 miles away in Fleet it's p***ing down with rain. As it has been all day!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    As was forecast the rain changed to snow about 3pm it's very light now so just a dusting on the wet ground and the temperature have dropped below zero so it'll more likely be ice than snow in the morning
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Google tells me the other way is pop rivet some old tyres... quite a faff but I like the home made idea. Else watch it progress up the M4.

http://www.motorwaycameras.co.uk/choose ... orwayid=41
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Just popped out of the office. Heavy, wet sleet. Grim. Can't say I'm looking forward to the commute home.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    Meh.
    All headlines. A non event.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Meanwhile in London...
    survived.jpg
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Well I've just seen a picture that my colleague's wife has sent him - heavy snow currently in Reading. It's on it's way......

Absolutely nothing in Reading this morning, other than ice off of the A roads
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Fleet got about an hour of snow last night, then more rain

This moriing roads were just damp but otherwise perfect. Canal path and Fleet common had icy puddles, but otherwise a great surface. However the pavements/shared use paths were like ice rinks.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Snowing again in SW20
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    ZZZZZ zzzzz zzzzz
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    I didn't bother with the studs. Not even the cx. Took the road bike with 25s on. Slipped a couple of times but all good
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    I may be asking a, 'how long is a piece of string,' question here...

I want to ride in tomorrow or the day after; both days temps are predicted to be below freezing at the time I'm on my way in. Sticking to main roads (albeit some big country roads, but not lanes) - chances of having an off? Tyres are 25c Pro4Endurance.
    Keen to get out on the bike but I've not much experience of low temp riding before the sun comes up.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    that's a billion dollar question, it depends on the roads, how long its been below 0 how wet things have been.

sometimes I commute in at minus temps and there is no frost, no ice, just bitterly cold ... other times I ride in at +1 deg and its icy and frosty

This morning was dead on 0 ... the cars were covered in sheet ice .... there was a misty wet fog and the roads were wet, but not icy .... and the grass has a covering of frost, but underneath was wet soft mud
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    In those conditions, would you chance it? You're describing what I'm seeing this morning.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    me .. yes, otherwise I wouldn't get to work

today out of a choice of

MTB - big knobblies continental vertical
    MTB studded winter marathons
    CX - racing ralph little knobblies
    Hybrid - 32c hardshell gator
    road - GP4IIs

I took the hybrid, the road and grass felt wet enough to not concern me about ice ... but extra care to be taken on white lines and drain covers they looked lethal this morning. The wet misty fog as well gave me confidence, normally if the road is icy the mist is icy ..... but this is in Bristol ... the roads were warm because it was yesterday, there is a lot of traffic on the main roads

The back roads do get very icy, but if my road isn't frozen, very little else is

edit: ... just don't push it, go gently, don't accelerate or brake hard, take corners wider, stay away from dark patches, avoid lines and drains ..... basically ride like its on frost ... but slippery frost, not the grippy stuff
  • slowbike
    fat daddy wrote:
    edit: ... just don't push it, go gently, don't accelerate or brake hard, take corners wider, stay away from dark patches, avoid lines and drains ..... basically ride like its on frost ... but slippery frost, not the grippy stuff

Exactly ...

I rode in last friday in minus temps with Ice that I could see on the road - 25mm road tyres - just go careful - no guarentee of staying on - but there never is.

If the tarmac isn't brand new and smooth there's lots of holes in it - so you need a reasonable amount of water to form ice - fortunately that describes my commuting roads and it's pretty safe for me to commute in most of whats thrown at us - well - except for a significant snow fall or rain followed by clear skies and no salt.