Monte Zoncolan and Monte Crostis

tommybat
tommybat Posts: 667
edited January 2017 in Tour & expedition
Anyone have experience of both sides of these climbs and able to recommend the best way - east-west or west-east?

Comments

• They are freaking monsters from either side. Get the smallest imaginable gear to go up and get an image of the Saint you are devoted to protect you on the way down.

The Giro cancelled the Crostis descent because it was raining and the Zoncolan descent never featured in the race. The Ovaro side of the Zoncolan is the more famous one
    left the forum March 2023
  • tommybat
    tommybat Posts: 667
    Great info thanks, I'll do it from the Ovaro side :)
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    tommybat wrote:
    Great info thanks, I'll do it from the Ovaro side :)

Did Zonoclan in June from Ovara side.
    Up and down the same way. It is epic.
    I am small and light and suited to climbing ( so I'm told !!). Compact chainset with 30 cog at rear...Most people had a 32.
    I would have too but I would have had to change rear mech...
    It is very tough BUT I would say it sounds tougher on paper .. by that I mean, I got freaked out before hand when you look at average gradient of 10km or so..Its get in your head...you think how the hell can i get up that ..but in reality you will and you do !!!

Word of caution - descent in treacherous - New brake pads required and I would only ever do it on aluminium rims !!

Will be great.
    Ps I presume you have checked out Mike Cottys video on Col Collective website?